Amazing story!
15 responses | 0 likes
Started by metmike - Nov. 3, 2021, 1:42 p.m.

Mind blowing!

Be glad to have the body that you have!

‘World’s fattest man’ says he was to be cremated in slaughterhouse upon death

https://nypost.com/2021/11/03/worlds-fattest-man-says-he-was-slated-for-slaughterhouse-cremation/

Paul Mason, who appeared on TLC's the 'World's Fattest Man' claims that his UK hospital ward had planned to cremate him in a slaughterhouse if he died due to his massive size.

He wasn’t too keen on being roasted like a pig postmortem.  

The former world’s fattest man, who once tipped the scales at nearly 1,000 pounds, claims that his UK hospital ward had planned to cremate him in a slaughterhouse if he died due to his massive size, the Daily Mail reported. He detailed the inhumane idea in the ITV documentary “The World’s Fattest Man: 10 Years On.”

“I thought it was disgusting. I couldn’t believe they were doing that,” Paul Mason, 61, revealed of the medical institution where he had stayed for three years. 

It’s been a long road for Mason, who, at his low point, was eating 40 chocolate bars a day, which had caused his teeth to decay. As the colossal couch potato struggled to leave the house, he was forced to remove his cracked chip chompers with pliers — a method he’d reportedly employed on a dozen teeth. Prior to the self-surgery, he would anesthetize the area by driving a hot needle into his gum to kill the nerve. 

During a medical emergency in 2002, responders had to demolish part of the house so they could extract Mason via forklift and transport him to the hospital in a five-ton ambulance specially built for the morbidly obese. 

The situation had become so dire by 2010 that the mammoth man was required to undergo gastric bypass surgery, which shrank his stomach to the size of an egg. 

Comments
By metmike - Nov. 4, 2021, 6:05 p.m.
Like Reply

One of the most amazing things about this guy is that he's 61 years old!

If you look at really old people, you'll note that not many of them are obese.  Being overweight is so harmful to many of your bodies organs, glands, and systems. 

This guy weighed 6 times more than me at his high point............and he lost most of the weight........and is still alive today!

This is an incredible story of how people can change to improve their lives no matter how bad the situation is.

By metmike - Nov. 4, 2021, 6:06 p.m.
Like Reply

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Brower_Minnoch

Jon Brower Minnoch (September 29, 1941 – September 10, 1983) was an American man who, at his peak weight, was the heaviest human being ever recorded, weighing 1,400 lb (635 kilograms; 100 stone).[1]

By metmike - Nov. 4, 2021, 6:12 p.m.
Like Reply

This is a list of the heaviest people who have been weighed and verified, living and dead. The list is organised by the peak weight reached by an individual and is limited to those who are over 440 kg (970 lb; 69 st 4 lb).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_heaviest_people

metmike: I'm not doing this to poke fun at these people but more from just an analytical scientist that is fascinated by anomalies in our world, including those involving humans. 

If anything, if we imagined how awful their lives must have been, we should feel compassion for them. 

They were deprived of most of the physical freedoms and mobility that all of us take for granted.

What contributed to their condition?

Let's find out.

By metmike - Nov. 4, 2021, 6:16 p.m.
Like Reply

Causes of Morbid Obesity

https://livebylosing.com/services/causes-of-morbid-obesity.dot

The reasons for obesity are multiple and complex. Despite conventional wisdom, it is not simply a result of overeating. Research has shown that in many cases a significant, underlying cause of morbid obesity is genetic. Studies have demonstrated that once the problem is established, efforts such as dieting and exercise programs have a limited ability to provide effective long-term relief.

Science continues to search for answers. Until the disease is better understood, the control of excess weight is something patients must work at for their entire lives. That is why it is very important to understand that all current medical interventions, including weight loss surgery, should not be considered medical cures. They are meant to be tools  to reduce the effects of excessive weight and alleviate the serious physical, emotional and social consequences of the disease.

Contributing Factors

The underlying causes of severe obesity are multifactorial and not completely understood. There are many factors that contribute to the development of obesity including genetic, hereditary, environmental, metabolic and eating disorders. There are also certain medical conditions and medications that may result in obesity such as intake of steroids and hypothyroidism.

By metmike - Nov. 4, 2021, 6:39 p.m.
Like Reply

I've been blessed with a very fast metabolism my entire life>

At times, losing more weight unintentionally that causes me to drop down several pounds lower than where I might prefer to be.

I may eat alot of food/consume alot of calories without gaining weight but almost all of it is healthy. However, a healthy calorie and unhealthy calorie has the same amount of energy so 3,000 calories of healthy food will contribute basically the same amount towards your weight(1 pound) as 3,000 calories of junk food.

I was a dietary supervisor at the University of Michigan the last 2 years going to school there(to get my atmospheric and oceanic science degree) but my girl friend at the time majored in human nutrition and worked there and got me the job.

I also was a competitive power lifter and body builder back in those days...........and wrecked my body from overtraining and having a zero fat diet(and drinking too much beer on weekends)

Good lesson/example of somebody that knew alot more than most people about something but what they didn't know/apply messed them up much worse than people that knew less.

When people fighting their weight tell/told me about how lucky I am to be able to consume massive food every day and never gain weight..........I will often say this:

Up until recent times...........before a couple of centuries ago, people like me were the first to die of starvation during famines and people like you lived the longest.

It's true. For most of human history, having a slow metabolism was a benefit!

Slow metabolisms are bodies that are much more efficient with their use of food energy......like a car with great gas mileage. 

Very fast metabolisms are like gas guzzling vehicles.

Only with cars, the size relationship is the polar opposite compared to humans.

The ones that need extra energy to keep going are the huge ones. ....with humans its the skinny ones that  are big energy guzzlers.

The cars that don't need much fuel to keep going are the small ones.........with humans its the big ones with the slow metabolisms that can go a longer time on the same amount of food energy!

By kris - Nov. 4, 2021, 7:21 p.m.
Like Reply

I have to chime in on this one, this isn't some amazing story, this guy lived a lifestyle totally conducive to getting totally obese and then some, who eats 40 chocolate bars a day for crying out loud? What else did his regimen consist of, half a dozen fried chickens? You don't get into that state because of genetics, no way.

I used to laugh at these diet company commercials, several schmucks would proudly proclaim: "I lost 78 pounds on the XYZ diet"  ... okay, question: when did it start to dawn on you that maybe what you were doing wasn't healthy? After you put on the first 20 pounds? The next 30 pounds, the next 50? Get real will you !

"This is an incredible story of how people can change to improve their lives no matter how bad the situation is"

No it's not, this is an incredible story about not giving a flying f%ck as to how you live your life and doing everything you can to sign your own death warrant, somehow he escaped, I guess he had good genes after all huh ... !

"if we imagined how awful their lives must have been, we should feel compassion for them"

Not one ounce of compassion for these people, you are what you eat !

"What contributed to their condition?"

They effed up !

"in many cases a significant, underlying cause of morbid obesity is genetic"

Nope, unless genetics have drastically changed over the past 40/50 years, which they haven't. Think back to when we were kids, I remember the schools I went to as a kid there may have been one or two kids in the thousands who we would classify as "portly", that was it. Now, just walking around town, going to a store or mall you see families walking around with 5 and 6 year olds who are already fat/obese. This doesn't happen haphazardly, it's because of something called lifestyle. Our parents used to cook everyday, healthy meals for that matter. There was no mickey d, there was no pizza/pizza, only wholesome healthy home cooked meals. Drive past one of the fast food places in town, when school lets out, the cars are lining up for "dinner". Sure!

Back in the day people would burn calories just by doing work, agriculture is now fully automated, used to be it took hundreds of people to maintain a big farm. Many other examples of what a bit of labor does to burning excess calories.

Since the advent of computers and 24/7 television, more and more people never get of the couch. They are in line at the grocery stores with family size provisions of cheetos and colas.

The U.S.Army has found that the bone density in this era is far lower than what it was a generation ago, no wonder.

Look at some pictures/videos of North Korea for example (I know: that's extreme), except for the guy in charge you will not find one individual who is overweight let alone obese. Less extreme but similar in Japan, no fat epidemic there either. Another extreme: look at pictures from the Great Depression: not one fatso in sight, genes notwithstanding.

"Until the disease is better understood"

The medical industrial complex will classify anything and everything as a "disease" (see: alcoholism), so they can then "invent" a drug to "combat" the "disease", give me a break already!

Truth:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDCuoW0HPiU

By cfdr - Nov. 4, 2021, 8:31 p.m.
Like Reply

Sorry, but this is such a stupid post that I can't help but respond.  (And, no, while I know I would feel better being a few pounds lighter, I am by no means fat.)

I have to chime in on this one, this isn't some amazing story, this guy lived a lifestyle totally conducive to getting totally obese and then some, who eats 40 chocolate bars a day for crying out loud? What else did his regimen consist of, half a dozen fried chickens? You don't get into that state because of genetics, no way.

Pure bullshit.  Or, rather, it displays a complete lack of understanding about how the brains of overweight people are hard-wired.  I don't use the term OCD, as this is a defined medical term.  I use the term obsessive/compulsive tendencies.  Strong OC tendencies.  Over-eating, alcoholism, smoking - work with some people - all related disorders.  A person might think that these tendencies would disappear over time, as many of these people are difficult to live with.  Think Steve Jobs.  But nature knows that these genes can be extremely valuable in the evolution of humans, and so it makes many of these difficult people attractive to easy-going people.  These tendencies can be instrumental in allowing some people to accomplish things that more "normal" people can never do.  And so, nature does everything it can to ensure the survival of these genes.  Nature values diversity.

And, I know - if you don't have strong obsessive/compulsive tendencies, and you don't think about things like this, you probably have no idea what I'm talking about .  .  .

No it's not, this is an incredible story about not giving a flying f%ck as to how you live your life and doing everything you can to sign your own death warrant, somehow he escaped, I guess he had good genes after all huh ... !

How many people, would you think, that were obese, when asked if they would like to be lighter, would say no?

The key words here are  -  obsessive and compulsive.  In these matters, there is limited to no free will.

And again, if you don't know what I'm talking about, then at least you can STFU about this.

Not one ounce of compassion for these people, you are what you eat !

You paint quite the picture of yourself.  Are you a borderline sociopath?  You sure don't feel any empathy.

I do agree with you that the temptations are around like never before - but that doesn't change one thing about what I've written here.  There is a psychological need to eat in many of these people.  And, sugar is also physically extremely addictive.  If you don't suffer from this - count yourself lucky.  I do count myself lucky on this matter.

Now, let's not get into free will vs. determinism.  I did a paper on this for a class once - well over fifty years ago now.  Martin Luther argued that in matters of faith, man had no free will.  None.  Erasmus of Rotterdam argued that made no sense.  That was five hundred years ago, and nothing yet has come along to answer that question.

But chaos theory has sure made it more interesting.

By kris - Nov. 4, 2021, 10:30 p.m.
Like Reply

To: cfdr

We could have had a civil conversation about it until you felt the need to deploy some ad hominem attacks.

Maybe you too "suffer" from "obsessive and compulsive"

Not sorry you got triggered, enjoy your evening !

By metmike - Nov. 4, 2021, 11:20 p.m.
Like Reply

Everybody has the right to their own opinion in this realm and to set their own personal level of compassion for others.......or lack of it. 

Everyone knows that I focus on compassion for others in many of my posts............but that's just me and cfdr has the science/biology right. 

Never imagined raw nerves being triggered on this one.

George Carlin is one of the most brilliant comedians in history.

Humor is extremely subjective and this person's top 25 comedians has Carlin at #1.

https://wealthygorilla.com/funniest-stand-up-comedians/

By cfdr - Nov. 5, 2021, 11:55 a.m.
Like Reply

We could have had a civil conversation about it until you felt the need to deploy some ad hominem attacks.

Yes, I have to agree with you there.  Your choice of, what I consider, attacking people suffering from the unfortunate coinciding of a great abundance of poor quality addictive food and the also unfortunate hard-wiring of their brains really hit me wrong.  I should have waited a day or so to respond.

But, I did take you at your word when you wrote in another thread, from my memory, that people are way too sensitive about being offended.

But, yes, I regret the ad hom attack.  I apologize for that.

Maybe you too "suffer" from "obsessive and compulsive"

Indeed, I do.  It was a real puzzle for me when I was very young.  I finally figured out how to build "software work-arounds" to the hard-wiring of my brain.  It was really interesting when I ran across a book by a UCLA doctor (again, as I remember) called "Brain Lock."  He described almost exactly the method I had used years earlier to build those work-arounds.

Oh, about those "work-arounds" to the hard-wiring - one thing is certain.  They will invariably fail.  Then, of course, the only choice is to rebuild them.  This has shown itself to be the case time and time again when trading commodities too.  

IMHO, it is fascinating stuff.

By metmike - Nov. 5, 2021, 4:19 p.m.
Like Reply

cfdr,

You are a wonderful human being!

It's a privilege to view you as a friend.

I'm also OCD, which is how I helped destroy my body overtraining with weights and exercise in combination with an autoimmune disease.

And you can tell by the way that I post. 

But I try to control it as much as possible (which is hard) and totally channel it into productive endeavors.

By kris - Nov. 5, 2021, 6:02 p.m.
Like Reply

Thank you Cfdr for your kind response, mighty big of you good Sir !

Just a favorite quote of mine:

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.”

Marcus Aurelius

By cfdr - Nov. 5, 2021, 6:16 p.m.
Like Reply

In many cases, that quote is right.  Today, however, there are forces afoot that threaten everything I have enjoyed in my lifetime.  I've led an interesting life, and it has been possible only because of personal freedom and opportunity.  At my age now, I'm seeing that more clearly all the time.  No matter how many times we go through a big move to the Left, we never seem to remember that it always . . . always ends in misery for most of us.  But, it's the cycle, and it's threatening once again.  We will always have the Left - those who are for whatever reason unable or unwilling to compete.  Those who are consumed by envy.  Those who value being taken care of over the freedom - and the responsibility - to look after their own best interests.

You might ask - who do I trust?  After over thirty years, and having had personal conversation with him, I guess I don't trust anyone who comments on the situation today more than Martin Armstrong.  He has been using computer AI algorithms since the 80s.  I have found surprisingly many of his predictions to be accurate.  The latest was made years ago when he said we should have inflation - but due to shortages of goods.  Anyway, his computer projection is that this "Great Reset" will fail.  I certainly hope so, but I'm afraid that this group in control now will leave a path of destruction that will be painful - even in failure.  You see, what is going on today is beyond most people's imagination - they are trying to crash the system.  It's not incompetence, what is happening is by design.

I know this might seem like conspiracy stuff, but if it does sound that way, I would suggest that a person has not been paying attention over the last several years.

So, I don't think that quote quite fits today.  (g)

By metmike - Nov. 5, 2021, 7:21 p.m.
Like Reply

I agree with you on much of this cfdr!

News frm the border...            

Started by GunterK - March 9, 2021, 1:33 p.m.            

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/66475/

Executive order 13990            

Started by wglassfo - March 8, 2021, 9:34 p.m.            

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/66441/#66447

By cfdr - Nov. 7, 2021, 7:58 a.m.
Like Reply

I doubt that you and I could find anything to disagree with on the current state of the science of climate change.

On the border, just this morning I read this:

https://www.defenseone.com/ideas/2021/11/belaruss-weaponized-migrants-offer-primer-gray-zone-warfare/186590/