Question ?
6 responses | 0 likes
Started by jmk - Nov. 12, 2021, 2:33 p.m.

Wife asked me a question I have no idea how to answer. How the hell are all these people either not going to work or as in the news today record no of people quitting their jobs surviving ? Now that the federal unemployment has run out and my State wont give it to you if you  quit or  are fired for good reason, how are they making it?

I know they are giving out child credit which really is just another welfare output for each child you spit out,but it can' t be that much can it. How would a family of four make it without someone working? Where is the money coming from? They all cant be drawing disability. Please enlighten me.

Comments
Re: Question ?
0 likes
By metmike - Nov. 12, 2021, 4:09 p.m.
Like Reply

Don't  know a thing about that.

Anybody else?

By cutworm - Nov. 12, 2021, 7:54 p.m.
Like Reply

One thing that former employees have done to us is quit, take a job somewhere else knowing that they will get laid off. Then draw unemployment on our acc. Yes employers have an Experience acc with the unemployment agency, the more unemployment paid the higher your tax rate is. Can't stop them even if you say you will take them back.

By joj - Nov. 12, 2021, 8:05 p.m.
Like Reply

I won't pretend to know for sure but labor is having it pretty good for the first time in 40 years.  

Anecdotally:  My wife runs a company.  When she needed a vacancy filled 2 years ago she'd get dozens of applications.  This past month she needed to fill a position and got 3 applicants.  My nephews and niece are in their 20s and for years had trouble finding even jobs that didn't appeal to them.  Now they are getting multiple choices and better pay.   ....  (inflationary?)

I wonder if demographically, baby boomers are retiring and there just isn't as much labor about to fill all the positions?

By GunterK - Nov. 12, 2021, 9:25 p.m.
Like Reply

Baby boomers?   Good point!

By 7475 - Nov. 12, 2021, 9:41 p.m.
Like Reply

And it happened almost overnight?!?

Trucker shortage overnight?!?

Warehouse labor shortage almost overnight?!?

Something stinks

I saw the same thing seem to happen with the climate crisis years ago-these things dont just happen overnight. 

Maybe the " Press " was instructed to push it?

By TimNew - Nov. 13, 2021, 6:16 a.m.
Like Reply

I wish I had a good answer.  But I don't think there is one good answer. There are several as this is a very complex subject.

The Voluntary Quits of the JOLTS report was off the charts at 4+ million,  but so are the Job Openings, as has been the case for months.  The vast majority of these "Quits" are seeking greener pastures, which are abundent as employers compete in what appears to be a labor shortage, And that is the 64 thousand dollar question.  Why is there a labor shortage?

I like JOJ's theory that baby boomers are retiring in large numbers.   It's difficult to replace a skilled and motivated demographic.  But, while significant,  that can't possibly account for all of it.  

Have people found side hacks that are suffficient to support themselves?  I know of a few that have done that.  But like everyone else, they are suffering from supply chain issues.     

This is a subject worthy of indepth analysis and I will be doing what I can.  But not today. 

My daughter's birthday is tomorrow and we are leaving on a little camping excursion today. Add to that,  I have met her fiance' for the first time as he flew in from Germany yesterday. So far so good.  He MIGHT survive the weekend  :-)