Work place Safety
2 responses | 0 likes
Started by wglassfo - Dec. 19, 2021, 3:34 p.m.

Currently Amazon  threatened to fire workers who did not continue to deliver packages during the recent Tornado in Kentucky

A driver pleaded to leave the area of tornado warnings and seek safety but her plea was met with threats of termination if she did not complete her route

8 Amazon workers were  killed in a ware house as a result of  not being allowed to seek safety with threats of termination of their jobs

Safety legislation is currently stalled as a result of lobby efforts by Amazon and possibly others

Should consumers boycott Amazon or is your favorite material consumer goods more important and let others fight the battle for the worker

Are words a feel good solution while actions do not change

The problem as I see it is most workers never encounter a dangerous work place. When so few are in such a situation it is very hard to change current attitudes of do nothing so long as I am not involved

Thoughts???

Comments
By metmike - Dec. 19, 2021, 8:09 p.m.
Like Reply

Thanks Wayne,

This might be a problem as it relates to tornado safety.

The problem is that we have so many ambulance chasing attorneys and willing people trying to find any opportunity to file a lawsuit against companies that it makes it very difficult to know when there really are  legit violations or whether they are conjured up to get a big pay day in court. 

By metmike - Dec. 19, 2021, 8:15 p.m.
Like Reply

Based on knowing a great deal about how schools and businesses operate under tornado warning protocol, it seems that any violation here went against the well established protocol that they almost all have in the event of a tornado warning.

If one particular boss or building violated that, it's likely to be isolated and not part of company policy....but still a violation with consequences to the injured or killed parties who deserve compensation. 

I can assure you that there were dozens of ambulance chasers trying to use this tragedy. 

In many cases, they help legit victims, which is a good thing.........but they aren't non profit entities. 

Each case is different and without all the legit details, we can't know much of the real truth here.