Met Mike Appreciation Week
4 responses | 1 like
Started by WxFollower - Feb. 6, 2022, 9:46 p.m.

I'm declaring this week Met Mike Appreciation Week. I know several members have been having strong disagreements with Mike. But just remember that this forum would pretty much be dead without him and thus nobody would be able to voice those disagreements in the first place! Moderating a forum is both hard and time consuming, especially considering the great efforts Mike puts into this almost every day, and is not something I'd want or be able to do. And keep in mind how much he gets paid to do this: nothing!

So, kudos for Mike!

Comments
By metmike - Feb. 7, 2022, 12:33 a.m.
Like Reply

Thanks a million Larry! 

Very thoughtful and makes me feel appreciated.

It's a labor of love and has resulted in me learning the most about what I've been trying to teach.

The last 4 years have resulted in more learning than the previous 24 year for me!!!

If you want to learn something, read about it. If you want to understand something, write about it. If you want to master something, teach it.

Yogi Bhajan

The founder and first moderator here, Alex McCallum passed away in March 2017. ...just before his new forum made it's debut.

The new forum made its debut shortly after Alex passed away and it had half a dozen snafu's which should have been worked out BEFORE it made it's debut........but after he died, there was nobody to test it. 

Julie took over as moderator (extremely nice lady) several months later, when it made its debut but clearly was not a trader and also did not pass on anything about the many technical problems the new forum had  to technical support(Chris).

When I took over in April, 2018, Chris had no idea there were long lived problems  going back to 2017 that basically caused everybody to leave.

There were only a few posts/month the previous 2 months in April 2018......  outside of tallpine's market commentary posts. MarketForum had completely died and nobody had heard from Julie for months. 

I thought is was very sad and contacted Kate, who asked if I could save it. I got the email addresses of most people from the old forum and contacted as many as I could and invited them back. 

Also Chris worked numerous hours with me on fixing all the many technical issues we had(he actually designed this forum originally and is a genius) and one by one they were mostly  eliminated gradually over the course of a couple of months. 

What's concerning to me at the moment is that I've been unable to contact Karen(Kate) McCallum for over 2 years and Chris(technical support) for a couple of months on a very strange delay of up to 30 seconds that have in loading pages between 6p-Midnight every day since the start of the year.

The owner of the computer company that Chris worked for, Bob that basically controlled and performed maintainence on MarketForum previously has also not responded. Last I heard in 2019, he had cancer and was receiving chemo.

It's possible that Chris no longer works there and/or that the company may not even exist anymore.

Kate has been getting monthly checks from ad revenue generated at this site but ads are no longer running as of last week because she hasn't authorized some updates that are needed by the company to continue to serve us.

Sorry for the long winded description but I'm not sure what this means for the future of this site. My wife has a new business that she wants me to play an active role in too, as a scientist in their company with a carbon capture technology that breaks the bonds of CO2, SO2 and other gases from emissions and turns them back into the original elements...solid carbon, solid sulfur, O2 and more, depending on what's burning and what the resulting emission is.

By metmike - Feb. 7, 2022, 12:47 a.m.
Like Reply

OK, I just figured out why our technical support, Chris and Bob, the owner of the computer company that he works for are not responding to my recent emails.

This is Bob. Oh my!

https://whav.net/2021/06/30/todays-obituaries-robert-bertoni-65-owned-megahertz-computer/

Today’s Obituaries—Robert Bertoni, 65, Owned Megahertz Computer

By |

By cutworm - Feb. 7, 2022, 7:41 a.m.
Like Reply

Thanks, Met Mike while we did not agree on everything, I always strongly consider your opinion 

Have a great Met Mike Appreciation week!!!

By 7475 - Feb. 7, 2022, 7:55 a.m.
Like Reply

mm, 

Your news is concerning.

Meanwhile soak up the Kudos

Well deserved.

John