Life... then and now
5 responses | 0 likes
Started by GunterK - April 9, 2022, 2:02 p.m.

Today I read through some of the posts on this forum, and one of them made me think.

In a thread about Congress/Biden Family, mcfarm wrote:

“I am sure you know this but our founders had a different idea. They wanted ordinary farmers, tradesmen, merchants, etc to serve in congress. With a session to last a couple months. Then these ordinary people would return to their respective livelyhoods to earn a living.”

Reading this, I tried to imagine life in the 1700s.  Most certainly, it was more simple than our complex lives today.

In the 1770s, towns were small, as compared to today’s megacities  The most important members of that society were those who provided the People with food.  Without farmers (and ranchers), they would have all starved to death.

At a later time, came the age of industrialization… and other industries appeared, industries that produce other stuff, that we need.  Today, we seem to be unable to exist without cars, phones and computers.

As the cities became huge, and many new industries started popping up that don’t really produce anything… service industries… such as law firms, insurance agencies, etc etc.

And our government grew like a fungus… legions of employees who don’t produce anything.

Being a member of Congress is now a full-time job, even though it provides them with plenty of off-time, while collecting a great salary.

No doubt, many of our people in Congress really do care for their People, but many only care about the benefits…becoming a millionaire while working there for a few years.

What’s disturbing is the fact that our modern lives, and our modern needs, have turned the US into an importing nation… we import more than we produce…. and this is not good.

And while we lead our modern complex lives, we take food for granted… many of us never think about those who provide us with food.

A few weeks ago, supply shortages were the news of the day… empty shelves in some locations. As I went to the supermarket, I noticed a truck parking there, unloading its goods. I went up to the truck driver and thanked him for making sure that we city folks had food to eat. Without him, our shelves would indeed be empty.

I can’t go up to a farmer, here in LA, and thank him for the job he is doing…. I can only do it on the internet… thank you, farmers, for doing what you do.  We couldn't make it without you.

Comments
By metmike - April 9, 2022, 2:16 p.m.
Like Reply

Agree Gunter!

Farmers also take a great amount of risk every year that the weather may be adverse or prices not favorable.

At least they are greatly enjoying record high prices for this time of year for their crops!

Input costs are also record high (which is why they will plant more beans vs corn) but in the absence of adverse weather, they should make a decent profit in 2022.

https://www.fb.org/market-intel/soybeans-rise-to-record-in-u.s.-planting-intentions-for-2022

By metmike - April 9, 2022, 2:43 p.m.
Like Reply
By metmike - April 9, 2022, 2:46 p.m.
Like Reply
By metmike - April 9, 2022, 3:19 p.m.
Like Reply

the US is not nearly the biggest country, though we easily out consume all countries, regarding the purchase of….stuff/material goods.

with food, however, the US is blessed with THE most fertile soil and favorable crop growing weather on the planet.

add the latest technology and our farmers out produce others farmers with our crop yields and export massive amounts of surplus crops to the rest of the world.

I’ll have more amazing stats on that later.

By metmike - April 9, 2022, 5:20 p.m.
Like Reply