Climate overview video and a positive article
8 responses | 0 likes
Started by madmechanic - April 13, 2022, 4:22 p.m.

More content for you Mike (and anyone else who is interested of course).

First, a link to a YouTUbe video published by David Siegel. The same David Siegel who has been publishing articles on Medium.com and I have been sending to you for review. I think he does a nice job with this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMqnHypf5gI

Lastly, a rather positive outlook article (albeit a little old now) from The Hill.

https://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blog/energy-environment/312321-stop-worrying-and-learn-to-love-global-warming/

One thing I appreciate about this article is what the author states in his last paragraph:

"History teaches that there's one kind of disaster we probably don't have to worry about: the one everyone is worrying about."

Comments
By metmike - April 13, 2022, 5:41 p.m.
Like Reply

That one is worth listing in our "quote of the day" section MM, thanks, man.

I'm having some fun with this current storm on our family email too.

I have siblings in Detroit, Portland, Anchorage, Prague and in Bismark, where they're getting hit with a blizzard right now.

I'll show you some funny comments on that in a minute.

By madmechanic - April 13, 2022, 6:19 p.m.
Like Reply

And the alarmists said 10+ years ago that kids 'these days' won't know what snow is, and you are doing your weatherman thing about a blizzard. Love it!

Meanwhile out here in California, things are still pretty dry unfortunately, we had a little bit of rain a few days ago but not much. But, the 'climate history' of California (central and southern) is dry weather and droughts so, I shouldn't be too surprised.

By metmike - April 13, 2022, 8:35 p.m.
Like Reply

Exactly MM!

My brother in Prague sent the pictures at the top.

My sister in ND sent the picture at the bottom.  Same exact day. 

Note my titles:

Weather in Prague below:

Climate Change in Bismark below

By metmike - April 13, 2022, 8:40 p.m.
Like Reply

Regarding the climate change in North Dakota:

What Climate Change
Means for 
North Dakota

(I agree with most of this assessment but note they didn't mention more blizzards)

https://19january2017snapshot.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2016-09/documents/climate-change-nd.pdf

This is true above but....HEYYY! They forgot to mention BLIZZARDS!!!

The top picture is typical April weather in ND...........BEFORE climate change.

This bottom picture is what happens in April in ND WITH climate change(from global warming)!

By metmike - April 13, 2022, 8:45 p.m.
Like Reply

My brother from Portland, OR sent this earlier in the week:

Brother: Portland had snow for the first time in April since they've been keeping records. It was in the mid 70's last week!

https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/11/weather/portland-snow-record-april-climate/index.html

Portland snow: Rare, record-breaking snow leaves thousands without power | CNN
The residents of Portland, Oregon, woke up to a rare April sight on Monday: a blanket of fresh, white snow. It was the city’s first measurable snow in April since record keeping began more than ...
www.cnn.com

From the article:

CNN: That heat wave, scientists later concluded, was "virtually impossible" without climate change.

Mike: This is exactly wrong by those scientists(and CNN).

Actually, global warming of 1 deg. C might have contributed up to 2 degrees F worth to the heat wave but the biggest contributor was the La Nina...........anomalously cold temperatures in the East/Central Pacific and natural variability. This is what caused it almost entirely.   

Global warming can't cause unusually cold temperatures in the Pacific Ocean. It's impossible.

It's actually laughable to see so many scientists ignorance and applying anti meteorology principles in trying to connect a weather pattern that clearly was caused by the same NATURAL thing causing the current long lived drought in the West/Plains which is the complete opposite of global warming and had absolutely nothing to do with the +1 deg. C of warming over the last 100 years from the increase in CO2.

Absolutely no connection to climate change or global warming,  other than, you can superimpose 2 deg F of warming on the entire system.

I don't care who said the heat wave wouldn't have happened without "Climate Change" or how many scientists said it or how smart they are or how many degrees they have.

They are wrong. Natural variability caused it, with a huge assist from the cold water La Nina.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/71468/#71597

June 2021 historic heat W US - MarketForum
The very intense W US heat this month is nearly off the charts in overall severity. Climate change/global warming increases the likelihood and severity of extreme heat events like this one.
www.marketforum.com

By metmike - June 25, 2021, 6:06 p.m. 

Just out from one of the best, objective meteorologists in the world(in my opinion), who lives and forecasts for this area and has wonderful insight to go along with his forecast philosophy:

Update on Northwest US Heat

Reposted from the Cliff Mass Weather Blog

June 24, 2021 

Incredible Temperatures Are Being Predicted and Confidence Is Now High That It Will Occur

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2021/06/24/update-on-northwest-us-heat-wave-predictions/

"Finally, a number of people have asked about the role of global warming on this event.   Is global warming contributing to this heatwave?  The answer is certainly yes.   Would we have had a record heatwave without global warming.  The answer is yes as well.
Our region has warmed by up to 1-2F during the past fifty years and that will enhance the heatwave.  Increasing CO2 is probably the biggest contributor to the warming
But consider that the temperature anomalies (differences from normal) during this event will reach 30-35F.    The proximate cause of this event is a huge/persistent ridge of high pressure, part of a highly anomalous amplification of the upper-level wave pattern.
There is no evidence that such a wave pattern is anything other than natural variability (I have done research on this issue and published in the peer-reviewed literature on this exact topic).
So without global warming,  a location that was 104F would have been 102F.  Still a severe heat wave, just slightly less intense."

metmike: This is what my work has shown also.

++++++++++++++++++++++

The same thing constantly goes on with sea level rise. 

An increase of just over an inch...........PER DECADE. Yet, we hear the most absurd anti science based predictions.......passing as THE SETTLED SCIENCE for an increase of X number of feet by the year 2100.

But's it's BS science.

The most likely scenario is an increase of around a foot between now and 2100.

Climate change, as most people know it is more climate politics than anything.

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/82327/

By metmike - April 13, 2022, 8:46 p.m.
Like Reply

Also from that article:

Mike:

XXXXX,

That was a great article and I know you absolutely did NOT send it because of that comment about climate change.

They stated it to turn the article about cold into a climate crisis article:

CNN: Portland's weather roller coaster could be an example of how the climate crisis can produce both hot and cold extremes -- a form of "weather whiplash" that scientists say is becoming more common.

The fact is that climate change from increasing global warming(more CO2) has done the complete opposite of that.

It's warmed the coldest places in the highest latitudes of the Northern Hemisphere the most, without much warming in the lower latitudes (closer to the equator) and DECREASED the global temperature gradient/differential and DECREASED not increased temperature extremes.

It's warmed nights the most and thus, also decreased the diurnal temp variation.

The 1 deg. C increase in temperatures has added around 7% more moisture to the air. Moist air  doesn't get as hot during the day and doesn't get as cold at night.

Just another anti science, anti meteorology/climate DISinformation statement which is the opposite of the physical law and the observations/reality.

7% more moisture DOES increase precipitation and  high end/flooding events

By metmike - April 13, 2022, 8:50 p.m.
Like Reply

And finally,

I listen to NPR on the radio during the day any time I'm in the car because they have some wonderful programming.......despite them being out to lunch much of the time on climate change.

Today, they had a story on the 2020 hurricanes producing more rain because of climate change.

THEY WERE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!

https://www.climatesignals.org/climate-signals/atmospheric-moisture-increase

Atmospheric Moisture Increase - Climate Signals
A warmer atmosphere holds more moisture—about 7 percent more per 1.8°F (1°C) of warming—and scientists have already observed a significant increase in atmospheric moisture due to the air’s ability to hold more moisture as it warms. Storms supplied by climate change with increasing moisture are widely observed to produce heavier rain and snow.
www.climatesignals.org

If the manic/deranged family meteorologist can't have some fun during extreme weather, then what's this world coming to (-:

https://www.axios.com/climate-change-2020s-hurricanes-wetter-8c5d3ec4-4c01-47ff-90da-79ec82d4c919.html

Climate change made 2020's hurricanes wetter
A new study finds clear evidence of what scientists have been warning of due to global warming: Atlantic hurricanes are producing more rainfall and becoming more intense.. Why it matters: The study, published in Nature Communications, examines the 30 named storms that occurred during the record 2020 Atlantic hurricane season. The findings show human activities, such as burning fossil fuels for ...
www.axios.com

By metmike - April 13, 2022, 9:16 p.m.
Like Reply

MM,

I just had a chance to look at this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMqnHypf5gI

He does ignore some items like heavier rains from the atmospheric moisture going up 7% from +1deg C of beneficial warming and hurricanes and not much time on sea levels not going up as fast as models but in 30+ minutes he covered a tremendous amount of profound ground with AUTHENTIC SCIENCE that you never hear or read about.

In fact, I'm glad that he focused more on the things that he did because nobody ever discusses these valid aspects, including me.....but I agree with most of it!

I will keep this one to pass on and make this our post/thread of the week!