stocks and elections
2 responses | 0 likes
Started by bear - June 2, 2022, 11:35 a.m.

here is my gut feeling.  when markets go down, the public often feels worse about the economy and less likely to support the party in the WH.

but... if stocks bounce and go up from here until the end of the year, then the opposite may happen.  as stock trend up, then maybe people will be less cynical about the party in power.  

so bidens poll numbers might improve a little if stocks trend up for the next 5 months.  

i'll be watching the iowa election futures market to see if there is any correlation between that market and the dow. 

Comments
By bear - June 2, 2022, 11:40 a.m.
Like Reply

another correlation, if the dollar has topped (and i think it might have), then a lower dollar might give some support to stocks ( and maybe gold ) . 

By joj - June 3, 2022, 8:53 a.m.
Like Reply

Democrats are going to get slaughtered in the midterms.  Midterms almost ALWAYS (90% of the time) go against the party who sits in the WH.  Biden's approval rating is in the dumps even with UE near all time lows.  I don't think a little rally in stocks will bail out the Dems.

I think Biden's low approval rating is at least in part the loss of the youthful Bernie voters.  With Bernie's endorsement they got Biden over the finish line in the 2020 election.  Those are hard core liberals who are disappointed that Biden hasn't "followed through" on their agenda for universal healthcare, student loan forgiveness and other items on their list (which never had a chance).  Biden's job approval by Millennials, generations X and Z, as shown in this link have plummeted.  This may come as a surprise to conservatives on this forum who consider Biden a hard core liberal.  Older voters, who tend to be more conservative, as the link shows, have moved little if at all against Biden.  But those Bernie voters aren't likely to rescue Biden in 2024.  They will stay home because "their vote didn't matter".  There is always the possibility that Trump will come to Biden's rescue by inserting himself into things.  

https://news.gallup.com/poll/391733/biden-job-approval-down-among-younger-generations.aspx

My prediction in 2015, which I have posted many times here, is that we are about to embark on a string of 1 term presidents.  I still believe that.  It is based on the way in which we are polarized (for many reasons).  There is no room for moderates.   I'm not sure if Biden get's a challenger within the party in the primaries or not.  

I think political volatility is a slight headwind in the long run.  Markets don't like uncertainty.