Full "Buck" moon July 2022
6 responses | 0 likes
Started by metmike - July 12, 2022, 3:31 p.m.

https://www.almanac.com/content/full-moon-july

July’s full Buck Moon is coming up— rising after sunset on Wednesday, July 13. This will be the biggest and brightest supermoon of the year! Find out when to look for this month’s Moon and also why we call it the Buck Moon.

When to See the Full Moon in July 2022

July’s full Buck Moon will rise on Wednesday, July 13, reaching peak illumination at 2:38 P.M. Eastern Time. It will be below the horizon at that time, so plan to look towards the southeast after sunset to watch it rise into the sky.

→ Consult our Moonrise and Moonset Calculator to see precisely when the Buck Moon will be visible in your area!

Behold the Full Buck Supermoon!

July’s full Buck Moon orbits closer to Earth than any other full Moon this year, making it the biggest and brightest supermoon of 2022! At its nearest point, the Buck Moon will be 222,089.3 miles (357,418 km) from Earth so it just edges out June’s Strawberry Moon by 200km.

While a supermoon is technically bigger and brighter than a regular full Moon, it only appears about 7% larger—which can be an imperceptible difference to the human eye, depending on other conditions. Nonetheless, it’s fun to know that the full Moon you’re looking at is the closest, biggest, and brightest of the year. 

The July 2022 supermoon also appears slightly farther south, so lower in the sky than a month before; when a Moon is lower in the sky or nearer the horizon, it can also appear bigger.

→ Want to really see a huge full Moon? Read about the “Moon illusion” to discover how and when to look for one!

Why Is It Called the Buck Moon?

The full Moon names used by The Old Farmer’s Almanac come from a number of places, including Native American, Colonial American, and European sources. Traditionally, each full Moon name was applied to the entire lunar month in which it occurred, not solely to the full Moon.

The Buck Moon

The full Moon in July is called the Buck Moon because the antlers of male deer (bucks) are in full-growth mode at this time. Bucks shed and regrow their antlers each year, producing a larger and more impressive set as the years go by.

See all 12 months of full Moon names and meanings.

Moon Phases for July 2022

Note that the Moon phase dates/times below are in EDT. 

→ See our Moon Phase Calendar to customize dates and times to your location.

Moon Facts

• On July 20, 1969, Neil Armstrong became the first person to step foot on the Moon. He also placed the U.S. flag there.
  • On July 31, 1999, the ashes of astrogeologist Eugene Shoemaker were deposited on the Moon
Comments
By 7475 - July 12, 2022, 9:27 p.m.
Like Reply

I'm going to make an effort to see it rise over Barnegat Bay .

Hoping cloud cover doesnt foul- up things.

Few miles from my house in Toms River NJ - coastal.  Thanks Mike. And weve got SO many buck in velvet roaming the yards around here consuming everything and anything edible as far as ornamentals and crops for that matter-small scale crops around here!    John

Then there is a Dairy Queen nearby for an ice cream treat- love ice cream!

Jersey Shore , Baby!!

Map of Barnegat Bay, New Jersey

By metmike - July 12, 2022, 10:28 p.m.
Like Reply

Looks like a nice place to live!

We have massive numbers of deer. Also raccoons.

As a result, our deer tick population is  stratospheric.

I get dozens of deer ticks on me every year. Many are seed ticks that are almost impossible to see. A day or two after they start sucking is when you notice the irritation and discover them. 

If I'm outside for long in a spot with ticks, I wear long pants/shirt and spray deet all over me but sometimes, its for a brief period.

One real bad spot in under a mulberry tree. I love to eat them.........and so do the deer. I went out there 15 times to gorge on mulberries and brought in at least  1 tick most of the time.

The dog will bring them in too.

My wife NEVER goes anywhere except to her car and back to the house and she even gets them. Brought in by the dog or me.

I got extremely sick in 2009 from a tick that crawled into my butt hole and I thought was another hemorrhoid!

I take Doxycline any time the tick was on for several days and there's a significant reaction.

By metmike - July 12, 2022, 10:44 p.m.
Like Reply
By metmike - July 12, 2022, 10:57 p.m.
Like Reply

4 Reasons Poppyseed-Sized Ticks Are More Dangerous Than Adult Ones

https://twitter.com/CDCgov/status/992501646700765184?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E992501646700765184%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.healthline.com%2Fhealth%2Fpoppyseed-size-ticks-spread-lyme-disease

ImageImage

metmike: Based on the science/biology, I'm going to say this guy and others are wrong about seed ticks carrying diseases.

Ticks usually get their diseases from the blood of the animals they fed on before they fed on you.

If a tick is in its earliest stage(seed tick) like the ones pictured above and you find it feeding on you, then you are the first host/blood meal of its life. It's unlikely (but possible) that it's infected because it never ingested anything with pathogens(blood of an animal) in its life.

When the tick eggs hatch, most seed ticks are not infected yet.

+++++++++++++++++++++

The Tick Lifecycle

https://www.ticklab.org/blog/2020/12/01/the-tick-lifecycle/

Stage 2: Larva

In the summer, tick eggs hatch into six-legged larvae. Although rare, larval ticks may be infectious as some tick-borne illnesses can be transmitted from an adult tick to the eggs, which is called transovarial transmission. However, ticks mainly become infectious once they absorb a pathogen from one of their hosts. For example, during the larvae stage, one of the most common tick host is the white-footed mouse, a mammal which is known to carry Lyme disease causing bacteria (Borrelia burgdorferi). The white-footed mouse is also referred to as the reservoir host of Lyme disease, meaning that this mammal is able to transmit the bacteria to a feeding tick.  If instead, the larvae feed on other hosts like racoons and squirrels which are not capable of transmitting the disease, the larvae will not yet become infectious.  If a larval tick becomes infected with Lyme disease or another tick-borne illness, they will maintain the infection throughout the remainder of their life which is referred to as transstadial transmission.  When the larvae are finished feeding on their first host, they’ll fall to the ground and begin molting as they transition to the next lifecycle stage – nymphs.

By 7475 - July 13, 2022, 10:53 p.m.
Like Reply

Buck moon update:

Unfortunately there was too much cloud cover at the horizon and there abouts  which afforded a few quick peaks thru the bands only.

It sure looked big and orange behind those bands, tho.

Too bad cause it was a beautiful nite at the bay.

By metmike - July 14, 2022, 1:32 a.m.
Like Reply

Thanks John!

We can't see the moon for several hours after moonrise because of the tall trees to our  east and south but seeing it later in the evening is impressive.