Long S&Ps
10 responses | 0 likes
Started by joj - Aug. 12, 2022, 8:32 a.m.

All the fundamentals say we should be going down.  Hawkish Fed, weak earnings, inflation, Russia/Ukraine.

But the market keeps rallying on good news and shrugging off bad news.  But by far the most bullish thing is that every talking head on CNBC's Fast Money show last night said the rally is over extended and due to turn lower.

That's good enough for me.  I am long from 4188 with a stop at 4172.

Comments
Re: Long S&Ps
0 likes
By tjc - Aug. 12, 2022, 11:42 a.m.
Like Reply

Totally agree with long term assessment.

HOWEVER, a vicious 1 or 2 day drop to enthuse the Bears and whipsaw recent buyers is NOT out of the question!

BUY the dip!

By joj - Aug. 12, 2022, 1:59 p.m.
Like Reply

tic, 

A downward swoosh is certainly within the realm of possible scenarios.

Here's a stat I read today:

Since 1950 the market has rallied back over the 50% retracement of a bear market decline 20 times.  In all 20 of those rallies the lows were not revisited.  We are trading above that 50% level (4231 S&P) as I type, but need to close above it.

Of course the fact that such information is finding its way to my eyes is itself a contrarian indicator to fade.  :-)

I'll be out long before all time highs.  This is a trade, not an investment.

By tjc - Aug. 12, 2022, 2:19 p.m.
Like Reply

joj

Amazing stat!

Are you suggesting that there will be no or very shallow dips?  If so, a trader must "just close your eyes and buy"?

Or do you favor a quick whipsaw?

EITHER WAY, new yearly highs ARE coming?

By joj - Aug. 12, 2022, 8:34 p.m.
Like Reply

I have no strong opinions beyond the coming 2-3 weeks.  It's a momentum trade for me.  Market is inflicting pain on the bears right now.

New highs are certainly possible.  I could also imagine a bit of sideways action over the next 6-12 months.  The Fed balance sheet will accelerate its unwinding starting in September which should be a headwind going forward.

Next stop is the 200 day moving average.

By tjc - Aug. 13, 2022, 8:22 a.m.
Like Reply

AGREE----------4340 here we come!

By metmike - Aug. 14, 2022, 1:21 a.m.
Like Reply

Thanks for the good discussion!

0 likes
By joj - Aug. 15, 2022, 9:05 a.m.
Like Reply

Sell stop is at 4203.

By tjc - Aug. 15, 2022, 11:04 a.m.
Like Reply

Closed eyes near 10 am (central time)-long Q

By joj - Aug. 17, 2022, 6:18 a.m.
Like Reply

Moving stop up to 4240.

Small options traders still buying puts, but talking heads tempering their bearishness.

Market under pressure over night.

0 likes
By joj - Aug. 19, 2022, 6:56 a.m.
Like Reply

Stopped out at 4248.  60 points profit is ok.  Unfortunately I left 80 points on the table.  The price one pays for going for a home run.