Inflation at 32 % ?
3 responses | 2 likes
Started by bear - Jan. 3, 2023, 9:18 p.m.

https://www.armstrongeconomics.com/armstrongeconomics101/economics/2022-inflation-is-final-32-for-the-year/

not sure what his methodology is,  but i would agree that the official govt figure is nonsense.  

Comments
By bear - Jan. 3, 2023, 9:22 p.m.
Like Reply

http://www.shadowstats.com/alternate_data/inflation-charts

i would say that williams 1990 model is closer to what i have calculated.  about 11%.  

By joj - Jan. 4, 2023, 7:43 a.m.
Like Reply

The methodology pre-1990 is antiquated.  Everything last longer these days.  Cars, toasters, etc...  If something lasts twice as long and the price doubles, there is actually zero inflation.  The article you posted doesn't explain why the old method might be better (more accurate).

Also, even if the old way was the "better" way, the 11% is still too high, based on the backward-looking nature of the year-over-year data set.  Housing (rent) is currently going down.  But it will show inflation year-over-year for a few months yet.

By 12345 - Jan. 4, 2023, 9:10 a.m.
Like Reply

A GRRRRRREAT TOPIC!!!

I USE MY OWN METHODOLOGY TO FIGURE MY PERSONAL RATE OF INFLATION.

I TAKE THE TOTAL COST OF 10 OF MY MOST PURCHASED FOOD ITEMS & DIVIDE THAT BY 10. THEN... I COMPARE THAT NUMBER TO THE PREVIOUS WEEKLY, MONTHLY NUMBERS & FIGURE THE INFLATIONARY DIFFERENCE.  (IN THE PAST YEAR, THAT # HAS AVERAGED 30 - 35% )

WE ALL KNOW THE ENERGY SECTOR FIGURES, FROM THE PAST 2 YEARS.

MY CELL PHONE INCREASED 33%, THIS YEAR.

THE ONLY ITEM IN MY LIFE THAT WENT DOWN FOR THE YEAR, IS MY PROPERTY TAXES. THEY WENT DOWN $20.00 A YEAR.  LOL THAT WAS AFTER 2 YEARS OF INCREASES OF $50.00 & $150.00.

MY HOUSE INSURANCE HAS REMAINED STABLE, DUE TO THE FACT I DON'T HAVE A REPLACEMENT VALUE POLICY ~ I HAVE A SET DOLLAR AMOUNT POLICY.

MY MEDICAL INSURANCE NEVER CHANGES, 'CAUSE I DON'T HAVE ANY. LOL NEVER DID, EXCEPT THROUGH WORK & I RETIRED IN 2000.

IMO ~ THE NATIONAL RATE IS MORE LIKE 20-25% INFLATION