WHAT'S REALLY UP WITH THE PRICE OF EGGS???
7 responses | 0 likes
Started by 12345 - Jan. 24, 2023, 2:25 a.m.
Comments
By cutworm - Jan. 26, 2023, 1:24 a.m.
Like Reply

for those small farmers who have feed related problems mycotoxins might be the cause.

Mycotoxins in Corn (sdstate.edu)

The 5 Most Common Mycotoxins in Corn : Syngenta – Know More, Grow More (knowmoregrowmore.com)

the one of concern for poultry is 

T-2

• Produced by: Fusarium sporotrichioides
  • Identified by: Primarily white mold, although in some cases it can appear pink/reddish
  • Concern to: Poultry

By metmike - Jan. 26, 2023, 12:14 p.m.
Like Reply

I heard on tv yesterday that the price of eggs is up 60% from a year ago.

Where are they getting that inaccurate data from?

I paid $5.50/dozen last night for each dozen eggs X 2 dozen.

That's up over 400% from 2 years ago!

By 12345 - Jan. 26, 2023, 12:40 p.m.
Like Reply

IN MY LIFE... THE COST OF GROCERIES IS SEEING A MUCH HIGHER % IN INCREASE THAN THE GUBMENT CLAIMS & HAS BEEN FOR WELL OVER A YEAR.

THE JUMBO EGGS HAVE GONE FROM $3.99 TO $4.19 IN A WEEK... IF THEY HAVE ANY. A WEEK BEFORE THEY WERE $3.99... THEY WERE $3.69. 

By 12345 - Jan. 28, 2023, 4:38 p.m.
Like Reply
By metmike - Jan. 28, 2023, 5:11 p.m.
Like Reply

At these prices, egg producers  can make a handsome profit so you’d think hens would be massively increasing the next year.

the cure for high prices……is high prices which drives incentive from profit potential!

By metmike - Jan. 28, 2023, 5:28 p.m.
Like Reply

Cutworm,

thanks for the enlightening post on mycotoxins. 

I did more reading and learned a lot.

in the 1990s, I had a vegetable garden that was like 1/2 acre and full sun and grew every  vegetable including pumpkins gords and watermelons that required lots of space.

had enough for my wife’s parents and siblings.

then we moved to a location surrounded by woods and my much smaller garden was getting less than 50% sun and it was a nightmare, especially battling disease.

I aggressively used every fungicide that existed Including systemic fungicides when i could get away with it minimizing getting in the food. 

after awhile, I had to give up because the disease pressure would get worse each year.

The area was already 10% of the previous garden and I didn’t have the luxury of rotating and the trees surrounding it were getting taller and shrinking my sunshine every year.

they had a powerful chemical that is used to fumigate  the soil decades ago but it was illegal for me to use it and that would have been the only way to manage my soil that was contaminated with different pathogens that would come back every year.

for a couple of years, I grew heat loving plants- peppers, in huge pots along the black asphalt drive I was so desperate.

finally, I cried uncle and planted grass and had a backyard lawn like the other neighbors.

picked a good year to retire from gardening.

mom had a stroke in oct 2011 and I was in detroit much of the following growing season.

that first year with no garden in 2012 was also a severe drought that would have killed most of the needy plants anyways.

By 12345 - Jan. 28, 2023, 5:50 p.m.
Like Reply

A GOOD EGGLAYER, IS GOIN' FOR UPWARDS TO $25.00