Why Self-Driving Cars May Never Work Out
2 responses | 0 likes
Started by metmike - Feb. 18, 2023, 1:42 a.m.

Teslas in towns? No thanks

https://www.lifewire.com/why-self-driving-cars-may-never-work-out-5184363

• Tesla admits that Elon Musk has exaggerated the abilities of “self-driving” cars.
  • Cities might be the most difficult environment for autonomous vehicles.
  • Driverless public transit systems have been in use for decades.
Comments
By joj - Feb. 18, 2023, 5:02 a.m.
Like Reply

From the article:

"As such, we're not likely going to see self-driving cars become ubiquitous any time soon."

"Any time soon" is not the same as "Never"

If a simpleton like me can imagine it, then it has to be possible (probably long after I'm gone).

By metmike - Feb. 18, 2023, 7:09 a.m.
Like Reply

Thanks, joj. So you are saying that it will likely happen later this century?

i think 1 item overlooked is that the more automated it becomes, the more people will be texting and using their electronics while in the drivers seat and less engaged.

if the car is 90% self driving, for instance, a drivers role will be so easy that they absolutely will be bored and on what planet in todays world do people not turn to their electronics for entertainment and communication To kill boredom?

on one side, people will want this so that they can be on their electronics And maybe even be,productive while the car drives for them. That could work if it required 0 input from the human while not parked.

if it requires even 1% input from the human while on the road with other cars, then those humans beings being much less engaged will cause their performance operating that 1% to be horrendous.

in turn, there will be some to many high profile multi million dollar lawsuits against the car company that manufactured it that will bankrupt them.

no chance that we won’t see lawyers chomping at the bit to use a fatality caused by an automated cars mistake or flaw for a huge pay day.

that, by itself means it will never happen.