President Biden to Impose a US Version of the Great Chinese Firewall?
8 responses | 0 likes
Started by metmike - March 30, 2023, 9:03 p.m.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2023/03/30/president-biden-to-impose-a-us-version-of-the-great-chinese-firewall/

Section 3 C of the act appears to give the Attorney General the power to declare receiving news from overseas sources off limits to US Citizens.

The Biden Administration frequently defines climate skepticism as disinformation.

Read more: https://www.whitehouse.gov/ostp/news-updates/2022/02/25/readout-of-white-house-climate-science-roundtable-on-countering-delayism-and-communicating-the-urgency-of-climate-action/

What kinds of penalties are in store for people caught violating the RESTRICT Act?

Read more: https://www.congress.gov/bill/118th-congress/senate-bill/686/text?s=1&r=15

I’m not a lawyer, so maybe I have misinterpreted the act. But falling afoul of this act does not appear to require that a crime be committed, all that the act appears to require is a “transaction”, the transmission of information or use of a communication device which the Biden Administration determines is a threat to national security. And there seems little doubt the Biden Administration considers climate skepticism to be a serious threat to national security, going by communiques from the White House on the subject.

Obviously this bill, if passed, would affect a lot more than climate skepticism. In my opinion it would have a chilling effect on all forms of online free speech.

Comments
By metmike - March 30, 2023, 9:05 p.m.
Like Reply

Greg Price@greg_price11

The bill to ban TikTok is absolutely terrifying. It gives the government the ability to go after anyone they deem as a national security risk at which point they can access everything from their computer to video games to their ring light. This is a Patriot Act for the internet.

By 12345 - March 30, 2023, 11:34 p.m.
Like Reply

WHY DO PEOPLE EVEN FEEL THE NEED TO BE ON "SOCIAL NEEDYA" SITES, ANYWAY?! ARE THEY THAT DESPARATE FOR ATTENTION & "FRIENDS"?? DUH!  LOL

By WxFollower - March 30, 2023, 11:54 p.m.
Like Reply

Jean,

I'm with you on that because I'm someone who values my privacy highly. Thus, I have no desire to use any of those that display personal info. That's not to say I criticize others if they enjoy them or feel a need for them like to share photos. My sis for example is big on FB, IG, does TT, etc. Even my bro used to use FB to see others and give comments, likes, etc. But he never posted personal info, pics, etc. I'm the opposite and have never even  opened an account on any of them. Different strokes for different folks!

But now I have a question for you and others. Is Marketforum considered a "social medium"?

Are BBs/discussion forums in general where you can choose not to display your name and other personal info considered "social media"?

Mike, do you know?

By metmike - March 31, 2023, 9:36 a.m.
Like Reply

Larry,

you would think that the moderator would know but I don’t Know if there is a definitive category.
5 years ago, this place was completely different.

the new forum had completely died.

after several months of no posting by anybody and a moderator that vanished, I decided to step in and revive it.

it worked and we were also getting revenue from ads Based on traffic.

but The vast majority of traffic was NTR trolls and people with extreme opinions that came here to fight, often with personal attacks.

we eliminated the incentives of those enjoying personal  attacks and they stopped coming, then I turned into a fact checker and ANTI echo chamber Moderator. Debunking the widespread disinformation associated with strong opinions which usually come from extreme political beliefs.

I remember early on,several of the worst offending posters getting constantly busted,  told me I couldn’t do that because I’m the moderator.

Ironic. that was actually the ONLY reason I stayed here.

echo chambers, especially those that sell adds are usually driven by posters that come to repeat and hear others repeat messages they want to believe. Trolls come to disrupt echo chambers for their own amusement. .

they are part of what’s very counter productive with our social media.

this place is an anti echo chamber Thats equally hard on both sides for lies and disinformation.

almost everybody goes to sites like this because they align with their side or to engage in fighting with those that disagree.

when I introduced threads on how to make the world a better place and quotes of the day and educational discussions, turns out that it resulted in those types described above, abandoning ship because those messages are just not appealing For people that use social media for other reasons.

they are all welcome here as well as all opinions. My favorites are those that disagree with me so that both of us can LEARN not fight.

people don’t want to learn. They want to be reinforced by being told things they want to hear.

they detest being fact checked by an authority when their objective is to impose  THEIR opinion on others with impunity Or at least get away with distorting the truth because distorting the truth defines social and professional media.

both sides get busted equally here, which means each side, has to suffer thru reading long windEd posts and threads……epistles, as Alex would call them, that  strongly contradict what they want to believe.

so we are still a forum and social media….you will note that I choose to share personal information about chess , like somebody on Facebook because it’s an endeaver that makes the world a better place Which is the main reason that Im here.

however, it’s become more like a blog site with 1 person making most of the posts With jean chipping in a great deal and I welcome all of it or any other contributions or opinions here.

jean and I have been on different pages a couple of times on topics, like COVID vaccines and Trump and our politics don’t line up perfectly but we appreciate each other’s candor and are united by a bond much stronger than politics…….a sincere desire to find and share the authentic truth, especially inconvenient truths.

i realize too that when I debunk DISinformation, I do it with such gusto that it often overwhelms the conversation. 

So be it. Thats why I’m here. To show the truth and put out positive messages and give people useful information while educating them and educating metmike, trying to become a better person doing it.

I enjoy The friendships here and Respect everybody but not the trolls that came here with personAl counter productive agenda to sabotage my altruistic objective's.  
I eat troll posts for snacks (-:

thats definitely not what we get from most social media. So we are different.

By 12345 - March 31, 2023, 12:17 p.m.
Like Reply

LOL  I DON'T THINK THIS IS CONSIDERED SOCIAL MEDIA.  THEN AGAIN ~ WHO AM I? LOL  THIS IS AS CLOSE AS I'LL GET TO ONE!

I CAN ALMOST UNDERSTAND A NEED FOR A PRIVATE FORM OF SOCIAL MEDIA, BUT... NOT PUBLIC.

What Is Social Media?

By metmike - March 31, 2023, 11:12 p.m.
Like Reply

Thanks, Jean for that definition!

I always thought this one was funny since I spend way more time here than the average person does on social media.

But I try to be productive and share enlightening things while learning!

I've learned more the past 5 years than I did the previous 25 years!

Captured brains            

20 responses |                               

Started by metmike - April 10, 2021, 12:32 a.m.            

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/67714/

By 7475 - April 1, 2023, 9:05 a.m.
Like Reply

Hiya mm,

I'm enjoying this thread.

Is Market Forum a social medium platform? I guess is more than it is not. I'm not a sm junkie and not one to argue my points at length. Are you a liberal or conservative - not worth an arguement because neither is an incorrect stance to take - not going to waste our time with condemning opinions.  And Mike, I love your fact checking , climate crisis debunking , interesting "stuff" you bring here. I dont know another place to find such information and discussions and debate. I read and consider alot of  posts here but seldom respond cause I basically have no comment at the time - I just absorb.

So this site , I suspect , is considerably more active behind the scenes (and silently doing a bunch more good } than the posting volume would indicate.

So there you have it 

Most of this is simply an opinion.

John

By metmike - April 1, 2023, 9:55 a.m.
Like Reply

Thanks much, John!

I figured you were still out there And it’s always great to read you With your open minded, solid  critical thinking mentality which chimes in occasionally with positive and Upbeat responses like this one.

you can tell a great deal about a person based on how they post on social media. You would make the perfect neighbor or friend even if we disagreed on issues.

my wife, who knows me, tells me I have 3 faults that I proudly acknowledge: 

according to her

1. I over analyze everything/have  to analyze everything to death. ya think? Maybe I should be a chess coach (-: or an atmospheric scientist (-:

2. I’m too wordy. Ya think? Maybe I should start an internet blog (-:

3. I’m too honest. With  regards to this one, her point is that there are times when we should keep our  mouths shut and not contest bs, in order to go with the flow to maintain peace Instead of speaking out. I do get carried away sometimes…..being skeptical of everything Until its proven. That’s also called ”the scientific method”

and this post/thread is evidence that my wife is a smart lady(-:

but seriously, I always did have a problem getting carried away with certain things and having a very manic personality.

on tv for 11 years as chief meteorologist, I got in the most trouble for not following time cues. That is one of the most critical elements in the business.

the Newscast is timed out to the second, including known times of commercials. You get 30 minutes and 0 seconds to do the entire program because the network news or the next program will be starting, to the second at exactly XX:XX time. If you go too long and step on their intro or too short and have dead air……it’s a massive, noticeable blunder.

so the news anchors with the assistance of maybe an assignment editor put together the 30 minute newscast that includes reporters having X amount of time in the segment And weather/ sports getting X amount of time. 

the newscast production director gets the script and has to give everybody commands and cues on what to do and when to do it.

if weather got 3 minutes. The camera person, will give gestures behind the camera telling them theres 2 min left. Then 1 min. 30 seconds, then a wrap it up signal, then a hard wrap if they are out of time. If you go too long, they have to adjust and take it out somewhere else.

I went too long enough times to be in big trouble after awhile.

then, they started giving me less time and giving me the cues 15 seconds early….but I knew they were doing that and so I would ignore the cue for an extra 15 seconds. Then they would increase that early cue  time and i knew it and it actually mare the problem worse. So finally a news director decided to monitor and hold me to following the actual cues And I was getting out much too early.

I’m finding my aging brain is losing even more control in conversations with people. I get ramped up in a totally positive way and sometimes can’t stop talking. 

if I don’t actually apply discipline to maintain control, I have no off button!