Elon on Tucker talking about AI, Twitter, free speach
12 responses | 1 like
Started by cutworm - April 17, 2023, 10:31 p.m.

(80) Elon Musk tells Tucker potential dangers of hyper-intelligent AI - YouTube

So what do you think? I know that mike has raised concern? about a double standard about AI.

Comments
By metmike - April 18, 2023, 2:39 a.m.
Like Reply

Wonderful topic to discuss, cutworm!

By cutworm - April 18, 2023, 7:29 a.m.
Like Reply

I think that his fears about this very powerful tool being used for evil on a massive scale is justified.

By 12345 - April 18, 2023, 9:53 a.m.
Like Reply

I COMPLETELY AGREE & HAVE FOR MANY YEARS.

THE DUMBING DOWN OF AMERICA & THE WORLD, HAS CONSEQUENCES & THEY AIN'T GOOD!

THE FURBY AGE WAS JUST THE TIP OF THE ICEBERG!!  ALEXA IS JUST A TAD "SMARTER". "SMART" WORLDS ARE, IMO~ EVIL, WICKED WORKS OF THE DEVIL.

HUMANS CAN BARELY THINK FOR THEMSELVES, AS IT IS!  EVENTUALLY, THEY WON'T EVEN KNOW HOW STUPIDLY IGNORANT THEY'VE BECOME!  

OH, WAIT!! THEY'RE ALREADY THERE!!!!  "USEFUL IDIOTS"

By joj - April 18, 2023, 10:04 a.m.
Like Reply

I don't care for his politics and I think he's a bit nutty at times.  But, I agree with his assertion that AI should be regulated, even though in my opinion, I think the beast has already been unleashed.  One has to try.

By metmike - April 18, 2023, 11:09 a.m.
Like Reply

Thanks for your thoughts. Agree with everybody, especially joj.

I watched Tucker last night and found it ironic that the biggest threat that Tucker insisted AI is already posing is that the democrats are using it to lie to us. Musk agreed.

Ironic because Tucker is THE biggest liar on television and Musk is one of the greatest manipulators of our time!

The information from the link I'm sharing below sees the exact opposite faction of people will be threatened. They believe the threat is to minorities and that racist (far right) entities will be able to use it. And poor people will lose jobs.

They are both correct, actually. BOTH sides are and will use it more and more for the same reason they use everything else. As always, they only tell us about THE OTHER SIDE abusing the technology as part of the ongoing false narrative mentality selling to their readers/viewers the idea that their ideologies will make the country much better and help people, while the other side will make it much worse and hurt people.

If Tucker/Musk are against something, all they need to do is tell us that the left will abuse it to hurt us in that manufactured world of theirs broadcasting messages to viewers that they want to hear

Anyway, like joj stated........it's been here for some time. 

For instance, Larry stopped trading natural gas because of the programmed trading, algorithms used to jerk traders around with extreme spikes in 1 direction or the other, especially at night that are against the move. These algorithms know where to spike the market to hit the most stops"……then reverse back the other way.

moves like these take out people trying to limit risk with stops put in a logical place, below support or above resistance. Other markets experience the same thing but ng is the worst at night.

Another example is with telemarketers. I note sometimes it's not a human on the other side and you can't tell. Recently, I've been getting calls that tell me to hold after I answer. How crazy it that?  To be more efficient, they make more calls than the human can and know that people dumb enough to hold on the phone because the robot told them to are the most gullible to buy whatever it is they're selling or fall for the scam.

This is an area that could get really out of control. Flooding our phones with constant calls from sources looking for suckers that will part with their money or information. 

There are a dozen other realms where it's being use already. Here's some of them. This is an excellent article, even with the opposite bias as Musk/Tucker.

8 Risks and Dangers of Artificial Intelligence to Know

https://builtin.com/artificial-intelligence/risks-of-artificial-intelligence

AI has been hailed as revolutionary and world-changing, but it’s not without drawbacks.

As a result, bad actors have another avenue for sharing misinformation and war propaganda, creating a nightmare scenario where it can be nearly impossible to distinguish between creditable and faulty news. “No one knows what’s real and what’s not,” said Ford. “So it really leads to a situation where you literally cannot believe your own eyes and ears; you can’t rely on what, historically, we’ve considered to be the best possible evidence… That’s going to be a huge issue.”

+++++++++++++++++++++

Earth to author of this article. We already live in a world of completely fake, manufactured realities. The current climate optimum with the help of the beneficial gas, CO2 greening up the planet is experiencing the best weather/climate in over 1,000 years for life on this planet.....but we've been convinced that it's a climate crisis, killing the planet and the solution is to ban the thing which is greening up the planet and replace it with things like extremely anti green, anti environmental wind which is wrecking the planet, while killing birds/bats/whales to get expensive,  diffuse, intermittent energy. 

Crony capitalism and government/political agenda using the powerful methods to communicate  in this age were able to hijack climate science, energy and economic principles and make up a fairy tale world that defies this..........and effectively sell it to the US and Western countries.

You will note that China, India, Russia, the Middle East and others are NOT on board with this.........but the propaganda which we see doesn't tell us that. 

Tens of millions on the other side think Trump won and that vaccines kill more people than COVID. 

Much of this recent fanfare over AI,  seems to be each side using it to vilify the OTHER side for doing something THEY DO too as another ploy in the increasingly divisive world of politics. 

It's been here for many years and as long as we have powerful people/entities with self serving interests, will continue to be used to exploit people's gradual loss of critical thinking as they become more and more dependent on sources that tell them what they want to hear/what to think. 

What can we do?

Nothing that I can see. 

The internet and other extremely powerful technologies with bright minds exploiting it  have already taken us well beyond a place that we can reverse. 

You can't suddenly impose ethics into people in a world where ethical standards are continuing to give ground to political and  self serving/enriching objectives. 

Extremely successful charlatans like Elon Musk and Tucker probably fear it most because it intrudes on their turf. Creating tough competition with them to bamboozle gullible people with convincing sounding messages that contradict messages they use to capture far right brains.

I would love other thoughts.

By 12345 - April 18, 2023, 1:29 p.m.
Like Reply

" These algorithms know where to spike the market to hit the most stops"……then reverse back the other way."  WASN'T IT GOLDMAN SACHS THAT HAD THEIR ALGO PROGRAM STOLEN, 10+ YEARS AGO? IT WAS WORTH MILLIONS & GOLDMAN SAID: "IT CAN BE USED TO CONTROL THE MARKETS, IF IT GETS IN THE WRONG HANDS!"

WHAT A JOKE!  LIKE THEY WEREN'T USING IT FOR THAT PURPOSE, THEMSELVES?!

By metmike - April 18, 2023, 1:53 p.m.
Like Reply

‘Creepy’ AI site can find every photo of you online: ‘Stalker’s dream’

https://nypost.com/2023/04/18/creepy-ai-site-can-find-every-photo-of-you-online/

By 12345 - April 18, 2023, 2:08 p.m.
Like Reply

ANYONE STIPOD 'NUFF TO EVEN CLICK ON THAT SITE, MUCH LESS PAY FOR IT'S USE, HAS ZERO INTELLIGENCE!!  OH, WAIT!!  HAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAA

PRIVACY IS A THING TO BE WRIITEN ABOUT, IN THE FUTURE!

I READ THIS, YESTERDAY.  

Find Out What Big Data Says About You — and Fix It

By metmike - April 18, 2023, 2:15 p.m.
Like Reply

Exactly, Jean. 

This has been going on for some time and is extremely developed.

Suddenly the media and others are drawing attention to it, with many making a case that it's bad because they see what it can do.

How Program Trading Strategies Work

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/trading/07/program_trading.asp

Key Takeaways

• Program trading refers to the use of computer-generated algorithms to trade a basket of stocks in large volumes and sometimes with great frequency.
  • The algorithms are programmed to run and are monitored by humans, although once running the programs generate the trades, not humans.
  • Program trading strategies may execute thousands of trades a day (e.g. high-frequency trading, or HFT), while other strategies only execute trades every few months to rebalance long-term portfolios.
  • While very popular, program trading has also been blamed for market failures such as flash crashes.

70% to 80%

The percentage of overall trading volume that is algorithmic trading in U.S. markets and other developed markets.

++++++++

Algorithmic trading, the Flash Crash, and coordinated circuit breakers

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2214845013000082

Citi’s Painful Flash Crash Highlights Risks From Algo Trades

• Monday’s shock spread quickly from one erroneous trade
  • Selloff briefly erased $315 billion from European equities

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-05-03/citi-s-painful-flash-crash-highlights-market-risks-from-algos#xj4y7vzkg

‘Flash Crash’: The first market crash in the era of algorithms and automated trading

https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/businessreview/2017/06/26/flash-crash-the-first-market-crash-in-the-era-of-algorithms-and-automated-trading/

How high-frequency algorithmic trading programs can make bad stock market days even worse

https://fortune.com/2020/03/10/high-frequency-algorithmic-trading-stock-market-crash/

Crashes and high frequency trading

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/289016/11-1226-dr7-crashes-and-high-frequency-trading.pdf

By metmike - April 18, 2023, 2:16 p.m.
Like Reply

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spoofing_(finance)

Spoofing is a disruptive algorithmic trading activity employed by traders to outpace other market participants and to manipulate markets.[1][2][3][4] Spoofers feign interest in trading futures, stocks and other products in financial markets creating an illusion of the demand and supply of the traded asset. In an order driven market, spoofers post a relatively large number of limit orders on one side of the limit order book to make other market participants believe that there is pressure to sell (limit orders are posted on the offer side of the book) or to buy (limit orders are posted on the bid side of the book) the asset.

Spoofing may cause prices to change because the market interprets the one-sided pressure in the limit order book as a shift in the balance of the number of investors who wish to purchase or sell the asset, which causes prices to increase (more buyers than sellers) or prices to decline (more sellers than buyers).[5][6] Spoofers bid or offer with intent to cancel before the orders are filled. The flurry of activity around the buy or sell orders is intended to attract other traders to induce a particular market reaction. Spoofing can be a factor in the rise and fall of the price of shares and can be very profitable to the spoofer who can time buying and selling based on this manipulation.[2][7][8]

Under the 2010 Dodd–Frank Act spoofing is defined as "the illegal practice of bidding or offering with intent to cancel before execution."[1][9] Spoofing can be used with layering algorithms and front-running,[10] activities which are also illegal.[1][3]

High-frequency trading, the primary form of algorithmic trading used in financial markets is very profitable as it deals in high volumes of transactions.[11][12][13][14][15][16] The five-year delay in arresting the lone spoofer, Navinder Singh Sarao, accused of exacerbating the 2010 Flash Crash—one of the most turbulent periods in the history of financial markets—has placed the self-regulatory bodies such as the Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC) and Chicago Mercantile Exchange & Chicago Board of Trade under scrutiny. The CME was described as being in a "massively conflicted" position as they make huge profits from the HFT and algorithmic trading.[17]

By 12345 - April 18, 2023, 4 p.m.
Like Reply

DID YA EVER NOTICE HOW"AL GORE" IS IN THAT SAME WICKED WORD? LOL

AL-GORE-IZ-'EM... HE'S SURE A STRAIGHT SHOOTER!! NOT!

By metmike - April 18, 2023, 11:18 p.m.
Like Reply

Al Gore is a hate filled,  hypocritical, self serving charlatan that has made the world a worse place the last 2 decades.

And for being that way, what did he get?

https://www.nobelprize.org/prizes/peace/2007/gore/facts/

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/92155/#92338

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/92155/#92339