Forbes Most Dangerous Cities in the US
9 responses | 0 likes
Started by joj - June 6, 2023, 6:40 a.m.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/laurabegleybloom/2023/01/31/report-ranks-americas-15-safest-and-most-dangerous-cities-for-2023/?sh=4c09160d309a

Chicago?  Not even in the top 15 (contrary to media hype).

1. St Louis

2. Mobile

3. Birmingham

4. Baltimore

5. Memphis

Comments
By metmike - June 6, 2023, 8:09 a.m.
Like Reply

Thanks, much joj!

Extremely fascinating.

Im sure you noted their specific criteria in making these assessments. 

El Paso and NYC being the 4th and 5th SAFEST big cities in the country?

sure they are (-:

you don’t need a degree in statistics or philosophy to understand why this is a quintessential example of the expression “Figures don’t lie but liars do figure”

regardless, it does give us an opportunity to view unconventional but legit elements of  subjective “danger”  used in their assessments.

By metmike - June 6, 2023, 8:27 a.m.
Like Reply

How much do you want to bet tht later today in my office, I can find other studies ranking  the most dangerous cities that have a list quite a bit different than this one.

the biased people/organizations doing the studies, the methods, the source of funding and so on all play a critical role in the results.

One can take all of them together and make some solid conclusions based on areas of agreement,

of course people will pick the study that tells them what they want to believe.

and in some cases, the ones doing the studies will use criteria and interpretations to create the results which intentionally stand out as a way to validate THEIR unique value in a sea of similar studies that show something different.

By metmike - June 6, 2023, 2:56 p.m.
Like Reply

Heres another study:

https://www.southwestjournal.com/most-dangerous-cities-in-the-us-2023-a-comprehensive-analysis/

Based on the criteria mentioned above, here are the top 10 most dangerous cities in the United States: 

1. St. Louis, Missouri
  2. Detroit, Michigan
  3. Baltimore, Maryland
  4. Memphis, Tennessee
  5. Little Rock, Arkansas
  6. Milwaukee, Wisconsin
  7. Cleveland, Ohio
  8. Albuquerque, New Mexico
  9. Kansas City, Missouri
  10. Stockton, California

I'll note that I go to Detroit 4-5 times a year and sometimes to some areas considered very dangerous, with the highest crime rates. But my bias from growing up there (and accepting this as my "normal") and repeated visits since then causes me to see it with a different looking glass than a rural person that rarely visits big cities. 

As a kid, I really thought it was normal. As an adult, I know the Detroit stats and live in a semi rural location to compare it to and realize analytically that Detroit is a dangerous city but emotionally don't connect with the same fear the same way that many NON Detroit people do. 

By metmike - June 6, 2023, 3:02 p.m.
Like Reply

Here's another one:

https://propertyclub.nyc/article/most-dangerous-cities-in-the-us

10 Most Dangerous Cities in America (2023)

1. Memphis, Tennessee
  2. St. Louis, Missouri
  3. Oakland, California
  4. Albuquerque, New Mexico
  5. Baltimore, Maryland
  6. New Orleans, Louisiana
  7. Detroit, Michigan
  8. Lubbock, Texas
  9. Chicago, Illinois
  10. Stockton, California
By metmike - June 6, 2023, 3:02 p.m.
Like Reply

Here's one with a great map:

https://worldpopulationreview.com/us-city-rankings/most-dangerous-cities-in-the-us

We can all agree that NYC is NOT in the top 10 most dangerous cities.

However, a case can be made for Chicago to be up there. 

By metmike - June 6, 2023, 3:17 p.m.
Like Reply

Safest big cities:

5 safest cities:

https://www.moneygeek.com/living/safest-cities/

Naperville
IL
$156
$23,220
Sunnyvale
CA
$156
$23,793
West Covina
CA
$181
$19,417
Carmel
IN
$205
$21,177
Glendale
AZ
$210
$52,405

Top 10 Safest Large Cities in the U.S.

By Mariana Zapata, updated on May 17, 2023

https://www.farandwide.com/s/safest-cities-us-4a3aa0a396044a94

I'll be, El Paso is #2. So I just learned something new(again).

++++++++++

Here's another list and wouldn't you know it, most of the cities are completely different than the cities from the other sources above.

15 Safest Cities In The US In 2023

https://www.rocketmortgage.com/learn/safest-cities-in-the-us

One thing we can note is that NYC is not on any other list that I found with this brief search (there are others out there)  other than the survey done from your source.

But no survey has the same cities.

Some surveys are the only one with individual cities.

Some surveys have the same cities as other ones. Those are the most credible.

Each survey may use their own methodology that alters the results.

By madmechanic - June 10, 2023, 3:34 a.m.
Like Reply

My grandparents live in Stockton and over the years visiting them it has become a city that you leave, heading for home before nightfall.

Regarding criteria used to determine these lists, I'm reminded of a quote: lies, damn lies, and statistics. That's not to say many of the cities listed are nice places to live (I would never live in Stockton), but the quote points out that statistics can be manipulated to serve someone's agenda.

There is a comedian on the YouTube channel dry bar comedy that has a joke wherein he talks about seeing a sign along a road that read: "1 out of 10 people suffer from hemorrhoids."

If you rephrase that statement, you could interpret it to mean: "9 out of 10 people enjoy hemorrhoids." Enjoy being one possible opposite to suffer.

By metmike - June 10, 2023, 6:32 a.m.
Like Reply

Great to read you madmechanic!
and great points too.

that reminds  me of a study/paper I’ve posted here dozens of time  “why most research papers are false” which I’ll copy when back in the office.

scientists are often motivated to ”find” the results they or their funding source benefits the most from.

in the field of mainstream climate  science this is the rule.

the funding, expectations, political pressure, personal bias and group think have turned this entire field into a scientific sewer that only looks to find bad things about the wlight warming that has been mostly beneficial for life on this planet. We are having a climate optimum not a crisis.

the increase in CO2, the building block for life has been massively beneficial to our greening planet. The optimal level is around 900 ppm, more than double our current level in the atmosphere.

to most people  reading that, they probably assume that I must be greatly twisting the reality to mislead with distorted interpretations.

actually, that’s what mainstream climate science, that was hijacked has done.  My statements represent the authentic science.

99% of what people get is the hijacked climate science…..which defines what they know.

When they read authentic climate science which contradicts that, it doesn’t connect in their brains Because their brains have been taught principles in a belief system which defines how they interpret information about climate.

since CO2 is pollution in that belief system, it’s impossible to seriously have a core assumption of CO2 being a beneficial gas with the increase causing a booming biosphere.
or that  when life  on this planet did better in the past, it was because of warmer temps.

people get the idea that the perfect temp and CO2 for earth was just before we started vurning fossil fuels.

not even close.

it  was too cold then and the planet was suffering from CO2 starvation.

again, somebody reading those last statements will have a near impossible ability to fully appreciate the meaning because they’re taught that CO2 is pollution and global warming is a crisis Not an optimum.

another factor related to bias is that people will more  easily believe new things that they want to be true and be more skeptical of things that they don’t want to be true.

By metmike - June 10, 2023, 10:04 a.m.
Like Reply

This is the paper mentioned in the last post.

Why Most Published Research Findings Are False

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1182327/