WHEN IT'S HOT ~ IT'S HOT!
3 responses | 0 likes
Started by 12345 - July 13, 2024, 10:18 a.m.

NYC Bridge Gets Stuck Open In Extreme Heat

AS YOU SIT THERE, WAITING... DO YOU SHUT THE VEHICLE OFF & OPEN THE WINDOWS & DOORS TO KEEP THE VEHICLE FROM OVER HEATING? OR... DO YOU RUN THAT RISK TO KEEP FROM GETTING ATTACKED BY "NEW COMERS"?  WHAT A CHOICE, EH?

Comments
By metmike - July 13, 2024, 11:09 p.m.
Like Reply

I didn't know the threat was that high in NY, Jean?

Growing up in Detroit in the 1970's, I remember when we were dubbed the "Murder Capital of the country"

In 1974, when the rate peaked, the afternoon paper (Detroit News) started publishing the updated homicide number after Thanksgiving on the front page. Using the ENTIRE front page with just the massive number.

So in December, a typical front page would have nothing except this:

675 next day  with 4 more homicides:679

During that time frame, white motorists would be constantly advised to NOT get on the Southfield Expressway at the Joy Road entrance ramp and a few other ones(I just remember that one 3 miles from our house).  The reason was because of frequent incidents of them being stopped at red lights and blacks would break out the windows of the car and even incidents of them getting pulled out and beaten or shot. No kidding! That neighborhood was 100% black and the victims were always white.

I'm thrilled to see that the homicide rate has been steadily decreasing in the last 30 years. Of course the population of the city has also dropped something like 50% too.

Detroit records fewest homicides since 1966, but 'we've got a lot of work to do'

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/detroit/2024/01/03/fewest-homicides-since-1966/72098581007/

By 12345 - July 14, 2024, 12:31 a.m.
Like Reply

LOL  MIKE.  KINDA LOOKS ABOUT THE SAME, PER CAPITA.

By 12345 - July 15, 2024, 4:55 a.m.
Like Reply