Visit to Detroit 7-19-24
4 responses | 0 likes
Started by metmike - July 18, 2024, 6:40 a.m.

Going to Detroit again  on Friday July 19 to be with my almost 99 year old dad.

This time  for around 10 days.

Ill still be around still,  thanks to the wonderful technology  we have in 2024!

Comments
By 12345 - July 18, 2024, 1:07 p.m.
Like Reply

GOOD ON YOU, MIKE.

DO THEY ALLOW YOU TO STAY WITH HIM 24/7?

By metmike - July 18, 2024, 1:30 p.m.
Like Reply

I tuck him in at night around 10pm, then come back the next day, depending on when he has activities.

He is needing some major care now. 

He's been following my exercise routine for the past 12 years.

After his turn for the worse in March of this year, I adjusted the routine a bit. He's confined to a wheel chair forever now.

We also got him a sit down pedal exerciser that has really helped to increase the circulation in his legs!

By 12345 - July 18, 2024, 5:56 p.m.
Like Reply

DO YOU STAY WITH FRIENDS  OR A MOTEL / HOTEL?  OR, DOES HE STILL HAVE HIS HOME?

OH, GOSH!!  BIG HUGS & PRAYERS FOR HIM & YOU. 

IS THERE ANYWAY, HE'D BE ABLE TO LIVE WITH YOU?  HOW LONG HAS HE BEEN THERE?  DOES HE SEEM CONTENT OR RESOLVED? (A HUGS DIFFERENCE IN THOSE WORDS)

DRIVE SAFE.

By metmike - July 18, 2024, 6:40 p.m.
Like Reply

Thanks for asking Jean!

I know that you wish you were me and your mom was still here.

Hes been living at an assisted living facility for 6 years. Recently, we put him in hospice and bumped up his care to a level above assisted living.

I stay at the last house he lived at.

I do all the landscaping there……trim bushes, pull weeds and so on but not cut the grass.

i have 5 younger siblings too.

1 of them lives 2 blocks from my dad and has taken care of arrangements, brings him communion 2 times a week and does tons of other things.

the other 5 come for visits.

Me from indiana

sister in ND

sister in Alaska,

brother in oregon

brother from prague.

we Take turns coming in so that one of us is visiting him every day. He gets more visiting from us than everybody else on his floor combined.

When I go, I stay all day. We play chess, cards, watch YouTube videos, sing and pray.

since Easter Sunday, 2020, our family has  had a family rosary conference call with dad leading. I fill in when he’s not up to it which is rare.

That’s 224 straight weeks of our family rosary together. We have 2 older cousins that join us. 1 from Atlanta, the other in Detroit.