Happy Indigenous Peoples’ Day
6 responses | 0 likes
Started by WxFollower - Oct. 14, 2024, 12:34 p.m.
Comments
By metmike - Oct. 14, 2024, 4:02 p.m.
Like Reply

Thanks very much, Larry!

One of my wife's business's will be benefiting Indigenous tribes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_Americans_in_the_United_States

Native Americans, sometimes called American Indians, First Americans, or Indigenous Americans, are the Indigenous peoples of the land that the United States of America is located on. At its core, it includes peoples indigenous to the lower 48 states plus Alaska; it may additionally include any Americans whose origins lie in any of the Indigenous peoples of North or South America. The United States Census Bureau publishes data about "American Indians and Alaska Natives", which it defines as anyone "having origins in any of the original peoples of North and South America (including Central America) and who maintains tribal affiliation or community attachment."[3] The census does not, however, enumerate "Native Americans" as such, noting that the latter term can encompass a broader set of groups, e.g. Native Hawaiians and other Pacific Islander Americans, which it tabulates separately

By metmike - Oct. 14, 2024, 4:31 p.m.
Like Reply

What happened to most of the Indigenous people here in Indiana???

They were forcefully removed by the government around 200 years ago!

Indian removals in Indiana

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_removals_in_Indiana

Indian removals in Indiana followed a series of the land cession treaties made between 1795 and 1846 that led to the removal of most of the native tribes from Indiana. Some of the removals occurred prior to 1830, but most took place between 1830 and 1846. The Lenape (Delaware), Piankashaw, Kickapoo, Wea, and Shawnee were removed in the 1820s and 1830s, but the Potawatomi and Miami removals in the 1830s and 1840s were more gradual and incomplete, and not all of Indiana's Native Americans voluntarily left the state. The most well-known resistance effort in Indiana was the forced removal of Chief Menominee and his Yellow River band of Potawatomi in what became known as the Potawatomi Trail of Death in 1838, in which 859 Potawatomi were removed to Kansas and at least forty died on the journey west. The Miami were the last to be removed from Indiana, but tribal leaders delayed the process until 1846. Many of the Miami were permitted to remain on land allotments guaranteed to them under the Treaty of St. Mary's (1818) and subsequent treaties.

++++++++++++++++

Ironically, Indiana is the name Indian..........with an a at the end!

Origin of Names of US States

https://www.bia.gov/as-ia/opa/online-press-release/origin-names-us-states

INDIANA: Presumably named from the fact that the land lying along the Ohio River was purchased from the Indians.

By metmike - Oct. 14, 2024, 4:45 p.m.
Like Reply

Indiana does have around 52,000 Indigenous people which is less than 1% (.76%)  and basically tied for last place using % in the United States.

American Indian

https://worldpopulationreview.com/state-rankings/native-american-population

According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the current total population of Native Americans in the United States is 6.79 million, which is about 2.09% of the entire population. There are about 574 federally recognized Native American tribes in the U.S.

By metmike - Oct. 14, 2024, 4:52 p.m.
Like Reply

Larry,

I want to really thank you for starting this thread. 

When somebody posts here, I feel obligated to respond. If possible, add new interesting information that we can all  learn from ideally.  In this case, what I learned and just shared is ENORMOUS as it also relates to the state that I live in.

You are awesome!!!!

By WxFollower - Oct. 14, 2024, 7:14 p.m.
Like Reply

Hey Mike,

You’re welcome and thank you. Just thinking about our American Indian brothers and sisters.

Im curious. Is the term “American Indian” still acceptable? I always used to say it that way.

Did Mike the Plumber once say he had some A.I. blood? I may be wrong.

By metmike - Oct. 14, 2024, 7:34 p.m.
Like Reply

I think that term is okay, Larry but I might not be up on the latest.

10 years ago, when I was calling Chinese, "Chinks" my wife corrected me and said the right term is "Asians"

I'm totally kidding  

+++++++++++++++++

My wife's family was convinced their mom had American Indian blood in her because she told them that. Deb insisted on being part American Indiana for most of her life. 

Then the DNA testing came out. ZERO!

So we think that it was because her STEP father was American Indian.