How much corn will not mature
0 responses | 0 likes
Started by wglassfo - July 29, 2019, 4:32 a.m.

As of now a lot of corn is going to need veery good weather to mature by a normal frost fate

Plus the crop has other problems

Not sure if this is wide spread but from what I have seen it very likely may be a problem

In our area we should have corn tasselled by the end of this week

Unles a very early variety was planted most june corn will not tassel by end of week. I am talking a large portion not all the June corn

I think 40% plus was planted after June 1 That is a huge chunk of corn

The other thing I am seeing is very uneven tasssels appearing. Not wet spots but up and down the rows. This is not good, as you get smaller ears on the later tasselled corn

In the westeern corn belt and IA a good portion is tasseled and pollinted

However hot dry wind is sucking the life out of the plant when re-production is occuring

If some got rain this will help. In the places that missed rain, I fear some abortions will occur

This crop has so many things going against it that total production will be much less than many realize

Some services that advice clients are at the point of advicing to hold off on sales untill later in the season. They have seen enough corn that will not yield to be rather certain, the corn has big problems

As of now, rain in the dry spots ccoller temps for pollinated corn, higher temps for corn that needs every day to mature, which is sort of like somebody will end up with the short end of the stick

Unless we get a break with a later frost date, a lot of corn simply will not mature

We have a chance for a break witha later frost date but a normal frost date will really affect yield

Anee finally I give you the big one

USDA started early to make changes to allow PP, forage on PP, extra payments and stuff not nomally done This tels mee, although we will never see proff in USDA reports they know this corn crop is in big trouble

As of now the only big factor that will save yield is a frost date much later than normal

We have some good/excellent corn. Some will mature. A lot will be touch and go, for a host of resons, with some, [more than usual] not having a chance to make corn

Comments
No replies yet. Be the first!