Credit card debt
0 responses | 0 likes
Started by wglassfo - July 8, 2020, 4:30 p.m.

It seems as if americians have decided to pay down credit card balances

If true [which I believe it is] then consumer spending has obviously contracted. maybe "locked in" meant no opportunity to spend, maybe job security, who knows

However, until consumer spending returns to normal one would think a recovery will be very slow to return to normal

Consumer confidence is one point of reference, housing is another.

But on overall spending decisions

Actual debt or spending  as in the past "charge it on the credit card" is not done as much, if debt re-payment is any guide

Personally I think when uncertainty about family income is an issue then reducing debt as much as possible, would be the most expected choice of most consumers

Even if more stimulus is coming, I would think a large amount will be used to pay down more house hold debt

As of today and in the near future where can you go or do to spend money

It is dang hard to do stuff and spend money as it was a yr ago

Our biggest expense is food plus yrly bills like insur, utilities etc

There is no dining out, entertainment, gas is cheap, we don't go any place any way, no need for a trade in on a new vechicle when ours sits in the garage all week. Heck all the clothing stores have spring stock on the rack so my wife doesn't buy clothes. We can't go across the border on a short holiday. That means no money spent

We just don't spend as much money. Our clerk paid off her credit card and now has a savings acct with money on deposit, as she doesn't go shopping. I don't see shopping bags coming into our house any more. I think many are like our clerk who paid off her credit card.

I think what most people actually do with their money means our consumer economy will take a long time to recover.

Thoughts???

Comments
No replies yet. Be the first!