RIP Bobby Knight
3 responses | 0 likes
Started by metmike - Nov. 2, 2023, 2:49 p.m.

Both mcfarm and cutworm, like myself live in Indiana.

mcfarm for sure is a basketball lover and knows more about Knight than any of us.

Would be interested in his thoughts.

Steve Alford on Bob Knight's death: 'I'm a mess. I loved that man so much

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2023/11/01/bob-knights-death-i-loved-that-man-so-steve-alford/71414546007/

Remembering Bob Knight: Infamous outbursts, controversial moments that defined Indiana's legendary coach  

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/remembering-bob-knight-infamous-outbursts-controversial-moments-that-defined-indianas-legendary-coach/     

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Knight

Robert Montgomery Knight (October 25, 1940 – November 1, 2023) was an American men's college basketballcoach. Nicknamed "the General", Knight won 902 NCAA Division I men's basketball games, a record at the time of his retirement, and currently fifth all-time. Knight was the head coach of the Indiana Hoosiers from 1971 to 2000. He also coached the Texas Tech Red Raiders (2001–2008) and Army Black Knights (1965–1971).[1]

While at Army, Knight led the Black Knights to four post-season tournament appearances in six seasons, winning two-thirds of his games along the way.  After taking the job at Indiana, Knight led his teams to three NCAA championships, one National Invitation Tournament (NIT) championship, and 11 Big Ten Conference championships. His 1975–76 team went undefeated during the regular season and won the 1976 NCAA tournament. Knight received National Coach of the Year honors four times and Big Ten Coach of the Year honors eight times. In 1984, he coached the U.S. men's Olympic team to a gold medal, becoming one of only three basketball coaches to win an NCAA title, NIT title, and an Olympic gold medal. Knight was one of college basketball's most successful and innovative coaches, having popularized the motion offense.

Knight sparked controversy with his outspoken nature and his volatility. He once threw a chair across the court during a game and was ejected, was once arrested following a physical confrontation with a police officer,[2] and was accused of engaging in verbal conflicts with members of the press.[3] After Knight was accused of choking an Indiana player during practice in an incident that was recorded on video,[4][5] the university instituted a "zero tolerance" policy specifically for Knight. Following a subsequent run-in with a student, Knight was fired in the fall of 2000.[6]  He went on to coach at Texas Tech, mostly without incident, from 2001 to 2008. In the seven full seasons that Knight coached the Red Raiders, his teams qualified for a post-season tournament five times. He retired partway through the 2007–2008 season and was replaced by his son Pat Knight at Texas Tech. Knight remains "the object of near fanatical devotion" from many of his former players and Indiana fans.[7]

In 2008, Knight joined ESPN as a men's college basketball studio analyst during Championship Week and for coverage of the NCAA Tournament.[8] He continued covering college basketball for ESPN through the 2014–15 season

Comments
By mcfarm - Nov. 2, 2023, 6:36 p.m.
Like Reply

Bobby Knight. Where to start. Good Lord could talk a long time about a man who many never understood, but that's ok Bob never cared a wit if you loved him or hated him. Basketball genius yes. Gave away hundreds of thousands of dollars to all causes, guess he was no lib with that track record. Some great moments, titles, gold medals, helping a crippled x player, stuffing a cop into a garbage can, throwing a chair during a IU/ Purdue game, promising the IU president he would for ever behave and then fired shortly there after for misbehavior. A twin version of Woody Hayes. they made their own rules  and marched to their own drummer, forward always forward. The saddest moment for me was the Neil Reed incident and Knight probably should of been fired right then. He literally grabbed Reed by the throat. Reed was tuff, played with separated shoulders for 2 years. So sad he never found himself after leaving IU. But found happiness in marriage with 2 kids and teaching school in Cal. He did not want to talk much about Knight or IU and he life was good when he suddenly died very young. My biggest wish is that Knight would of swallowed his pride and apologized to Reed but he large ego would not allow such a thing. Most older coaches loved Knight, he could put on a public talk with no noteS and about most any subject he was interesting, loud, otnnot ashamed of who he was or where he came from. in short an egima to many who never got inside his inner circle. I was one of the lucky ones who got there  and was so happy to hear many of the old basketball stories. Sometimes he would hold fort bare naked. That was strange for sure but ask any sec in his staff and they all loved him deeply. God rest his sole and may he find  peace peace without being buried up side down " so that they may kiss my ass"

By metmike - Nov. 2, 2023, 8:21 p.m.
Like Reply

Thanks much and well said, mcfarm!

By 12345 - Nov. 2, 2023, 9:15 p.m.
Like Reply

HIS Infamous outbursts, IS ALL I REMEMBER ABOUT HIM.  'NUFF SAID.