Help us MetMike
3 responses | 0 likes
Started by mikempt - Sept. 1, 2018, 8:20 a.m.

It happened again this week in Valley Forge. We had blazing sunshine ,Highs in the upper 90's,humidity in the low 80's,a stalled front yester day with rain sometimes at three inches an hour. Lots of my Amish friends in lancaster county are floooded out ,still under water

Comments
By metmike - Sept. 1, 2018, 11:56 a.m.
Like Reply

Thanks Mike!

Just don't blame me......or thank me for the nice weather when it returns (-:

And don't blame it on catastrophic human caused climate change (-:

By carlberky - Sept. 1, 2018, 12:39 p.m.
Like Reply

Geez, metmike, Mikey asked for help and you imply that you can't do anything about the weather.

This is a clear case of Depraved Indifference ! ( g )

By metmike - Sept. 1, 2018, 6:29 p.m.
Like Reply

Thanks for the good chuckle/sense of humor carl!

On a personal note, as a meteorologist, especially on tv for 11 years and recognized in public( its been 25 years and amazingly people still recognize me.....rarely. -I was having blood drawn on Wednesday and the lady doing it says "hey, you're the weather man) I have had a wide assortment of interactions with the public related to their comments about the weather and my relationship with it and forecasting.

1. I used to tell people that if I could control the weather, I'd be sitting on throne.

2. Or don't thank me for the nice weather because it means you'll blame me for the bad weather.

3. I sometimes would  be subjected to weatherman jokes. Some obnoxious sort of fellow would ask out loud in a crowd..........."hey weatherman, what's the weather going to do???" never really wanting to know but setting me up for his punchline, "I wish I had a job where I could be wrong half the time and still get paid!!

So I learned how to "steal the thunder" from characters like that.  

Character: Hey weatherman, whats the weather going to be like??

metmike: Why are you asking me, I'm a weatherman and I'm just going to lie to you!

4. During my first year,  I got very excited on the air about approaching Winter Storms because that was my favorite type of weather to analyze/forecast. For some people, who saw 6 inches of snow as hard work shoveling or dangerous driving, this was not received well...........so I had to tone down my enthusiasm. 

5. The police and the media try to work together well. There were regular meetings between the news people and the cops. The news people want contacts and the best way to get the scoups. The cops want to be portrayed positively and fairly.  Everybody knows that if you are a cop and get pulled over for speeding by another cop, they will probably let you go.  I found out that this courtesy was also frequently extended to people like me. I used to have a very heavy pedal(known as speeding) in my vehicle. When a cop would pull me over, they would usually look at the drivers license, then say something like "hey, you're the weatherman on channel 25...........don't drive so fast. Give me the drivers license back, then say "Have a nice day!"

One time, I was late for work and really flying down Waterworks Road. I got pulled over and I'm thinking, dang, hurry up and recognize me and let me go because I'm already late.  So the cop is actually somebody that I know from the gym, The Pit Barbell Club. He takes my drivers license but instead of giving it back, he goes back to the cop car..................and I wait and wait and wait. What the heck is going on? He comes back with a speeding ticket. Wow, my luck just ran out.

The next day, at the gym, he's there and comes up to me immediately, very apologetic...... " I am so sorry, very very sorry for giving you that ticket. I'm in training and my partner, who's training me told me that I had to give you that ticket because we have to go by the book in training. "

Being on television doing the weather was such a fun job back in those days 1982-1993!

There are hundreds of funny or interesting stories.............I'll try to share a few more later.