Dow off lows but still poised for 3rd straight drop
8 responses | 0 likes
Started by metmike - Oct. 8, 2018, 11:29 a.m.

Dow off lows but still poised for 3rd straight drop as Wall Street resumes yield-fueled fall    

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/us-stocks-look-poised-to-resume-yield-driven-stumble-2018-10-08

U.S. stocks traded lower Monday — but quickly came off their worst levels — as investors wrestled with fears about rapidly rising rates against expectations for strong corporate results in coming days.

Comments
By TimNew - Oct. 8, 2018, 12:29 p.m.
Like Reply

It's been rough for the last few days,   but with the swings taking place today, the market appears to be seeking direction.  I expect the bull will resume no later than Wednesday, more likely by tomorrow.

The fundamentals have not changed and they are still bullish.

By TimNew - Oct. 10, 2018, 11:21 a.m.
Like Reply

Sure looks like I missed on this one..   But the lower it goes, the cheaper they'll be....

Funnys are all still strong.

By mojo - Oct. 10, 2018, 12:20 p.m.
Like Reply

Perfect timing for a market crash, with the mid-terms just a month away. It's a beautiful sight to behold.

By metmike - Oct. 10, 2018, 12:25 p.m.
Like Reply

How nice of you to drop in to our trading forum mojo to let us know that.........you are rooting for bad things to happen to our country/people because it fits with the agenda of your party.

By hayman - Oct. 10, 2018, 12:37 p.m.
Like Reply

And the typical safe haven of gold and silver are not even reacting to stock market decline.  Is there no place to hide?  This requires the skill of going short as mikempt points out with puts, perhaps.  Or selling calls.

Typically the Yen is a buy in an equities selloff.  And it is up today.

By TimNew - Oct. 10, 2018, 1:07 p.m.
Like Reply

This hasn't reached correction territory yet let alone a crash.   Even if it does,  it should recover quite nicely by the midterm elections,   so sorry to rain on your parade MOJ.

Did you see wholesale inventories today?  A full percentage point for the month brining YTD up by 5.3%.  That level of build would have made me pretty nervous in the not to distant past, but it's not keeping pace with sales, which are up an astonishing 9.2%.  This factors directly into the Q3 GDP, which prior to this was still forecast at 4.1%.

You really can't find bad economic numbers these days.  Business is booming across the country.  The stock market will catch up. 

http://mam.econoday.com/byshoweventfull.asp?fid=485983&cust=mam&year=2018&lid=0&prev=/byweek.asp#top

https://www.frbatlanta.org/-/media/Documents/cqer/researchcq/gdpnow/RealGDPTrackingSlides.pdf

By patrick - Oct. 10, 2018, 4:09 p.m.
Like Reply

-831.83 is the 3rd largest point drop ever
Just  -3.15%, which is not epic

By TimNew - Oct. 10, 2018, 4:43 p.m.
Like Reply

They've been attributing to bond yields.  Finally somewhere else to put money.  If that's all there is,  this is way oversold and near term will show it.

If there is some unseen hand moving this,  I've yet to know what it is..  I'm certainly not all seeing,  I'll be as surprised as everyone else if there is more to this..

But I am gonna guess oversold and today was over done.  Let's watch the futures tonight.