Stk Market Crash
1 response | 0 likes
Started by wglassfo - Oct. 20, 2018, 3:13 p.m.

So lets assume the stk market crashes by 50% [you can pick your own number]. Just how many would be affected??. What % of the country own stks. If they were wiped out completely, would that affect much more than the 1%. I would say looks good on them. [1%]

I suppose if you are retired and dividend cheques make up a large portion of your spending, then that would hurt. But really, does that just mean you have to move to a cheaper place to live and forgo vacation on the next cruise liner or winter in Florida, where old people go to die.

I suppose if your place of employment goes BK  or down sizes and you lose your job that would be a real bummer. But aren't there more job openings than people to fill those jobs. Maybe if you are Richard and did not find a job when jobs galore are available, then being picky about where or what you do could cause a problem. But is it a problem if you really want to work

Maybe a less glamourous life style, with less income from any job that pays money, but still workable.

Just wondering what all this doom and gloom is all about if the stk market crashes. Pictures of depression soup lines of unemployed seem like we should be afraid of some thing.. Personally we would lose considerable money and dividends, but our entire income is not from a stk portfolio. All else being equal we would survive. So what else could happen to put us in desperate times money wise??

So how many would not survive a stk market crash??

Comments
By carlberky - Oct. 22, 2018, 7:40 a.m.
Like Reply

Wayne, there are many factors to consider in gauging the impact of a crash. Age, marital status, level of employment ( management, worker ), etc. 

With so many people living from paycheck to paycheck, any kind of panic could be devastating.