Now tobacco farmers can help heal, not hurt
19 responses | 0 likes
Started by lar - Dec. 21, 2018, 11:26 a.m.

Industrial Hemp is legal in the USA.

Finally. Something helpful the Trump administration did. 

CBD helps heal. Making it more readily available is a very good thing  

For many this plant has had a bad stigma but healers have healed with variations of it since early in human development. The fibers make excellent fabrics as a bonus prize. All the cannabinols have homeopathic health benefits. Criminalization of it - ala Jim Crow - was just part of a new system of control. It’s time to move past that one.

Vietnam war protesting hippies and people of color all could be criminalized and better controlled via this mis-scheduled medicine plant. This is why Nixon lumped pot in with substances which are truly dangerous with no medical benefits. He did this in contradiction of the Schafer study which he commissioned himself for the purpose of scheduling drugs including marijuana.

Powerful negative propaganda campaigns to this day continue to misshape public opinion. It’s actually less a gateway drug than coffee, sugar, high fructose corn syrup or tobacco. This is one of those topics where people have their minds made up and it has become a core belief though. Alcohol is ok, pot is evil. Processed sugar is neurologically ok but you’re dicey if you consume pot. That’s baloney. We have just normalized this way of thinking because you, me and almost everybody we know does some of those other ones. Doesn’t make you (or me) a bad person. This thinking has however broken up many families and put a lot of people in jail or killed on a very skewed basis of demographics. It has been a primary force driving a wedge and unnecessarily increasing conflict between the police, the court system and some communities.

This in no way mitigates Trumps crimes if found guilty nor does it let him off the hook from the country investigating his acts of self dealing at the nations expense. The hemp component of the farm bill helps inch the boot off the neck of our country’s children who look like me. This is a good thing.

It is what it is and should be pointed out when they get something right. I’m not a 45 basher for the sake of bashing. It’s that most of the things he does I think suck.

Tobacco farmers becoming hemp farmers would have three advantages imo.  1) they would abandon a falling out of favor market crop to grow a rising market one  2) decrease tobacco supply till it became so expensive even less people would start smoking tobacco - which by definition should have been scheduled the way marijuana was  3) help people be healthier for profit instead of poisoning people for profit.

Thats the view from my chair.  

Comments
By pj - Dec. 21, 2018, 11:58 a.m.
Like Reply

Mostly I agree. I've been saying it should be legalized and taxed for many many years. But...

"Marijuana Smoke is harmful to lung health. Whether from burning wood, tobacco or marijuana, toxins and carcinogens are released from the combustion of materials. Smoke from marijuana combustion has been shown to contain many of the same toxins, irritants and carcinogens as tobacco smoke.

Beyond just what's in the smoke alone, marijuana is typically smoked differently than tobacco. Marijuana smokers tend to inhale more deeply and hold their breath longer than cigarette smokers, which leads to a greater exposure per breath to tar."

https://www.lung.org/stop-smoking/smoking-facts/marijuana-and-lung-health.html

By carlberky - Dec. 21, 2018, 12:52 p.m.
Like Reply

Having smoked for 30 years, and been a non-smoker for almost 40, I can still attest to the harmful effects of smoking. However,  if used for medical purposes, I can see the benefits ... but warning labels on any packaging should be mandatory. 

Surely the tobacco Industry will take advantage of the new laws. Wonder what a carton of Camel Highs will cost?

By metmike - Dec. 21, 2018, 1:08 p.m.
Like Reply

Thanks lar, excellent post.

"Finally. Something helpful the Trump administration did."

Maybe you missed these, earlier in the  week from non republicans:

"Kudos To Trump"           

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/20029/

"Give Trump credit for doing stuff"           

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/20089/

His pulling out of the Middle East/Syria news this week and withdrawing from military intervention there is right out of the democrats playbook too, aside from the fact that most Americans wanted this...........and it has infuriated the republican party. 

I'm with Tim on his comment(and not a Trump apologist when I describe others judging him unfairly). I am not for a person(s) but for the agenda/policies that they bring to Americans. 

By lar - Dec. 21, 2018, 1:09 p.m.
Like Reply

Agreed, good points PJ,

Peel that onion back a little further...

Generally speaking pot smokers take in way less smoke than cigarette smokers. Well, unless they are the trying to get f--ked up daily pot head type - sure these folks do exist but its not like the propaganda leads conservatives to believe. Most pot smokers are simple 420 sippers. Not everyone who smokes pot is a stoner looking to get blitzed out of their minds. Im one of them actually. A couple of puffs daily even if inhaled deeply is far less dangerous than one cigarette not to mention a pack+ of cigarettes a day people get addicted to. Moderation is the key like it is to most things. Even the fact that some pot is stronger nowadays than in the past means less tars are consumed because fewer puffs are taken. This is a positive, imho.

While it is true that some smoke to get shit faced but even that is far less dangerous than those who get shit faced with alcohol. 100 proof alcohol is stronger than 12 percent beer and either can be abused or not like marijuana could too. Plenty have died from alcohol poisoning but no one has died of a pot overdose. Getting it out of the underground market is another way of increasing the health implications of cannabinoid consumption as you would better know what is in it. 

Pot brownies are a healthier tastier way to go for sure.

Thanks to the link for the American Lung Associations take on this. Good information.

By metmike - Dec. 21, 2018, 1:09 p.m.
Like Reply

People consume alot of these products as edibles and oils vs smoking them.

By metmike - Dec. 21, 2018, 1:15 p.m.
Like Reply

How to Take CBD Oil: Ingestion, Sublingual, Topical and Inhalation Options

https://echoconnection.org/how-take-cbd-oil-options/

In general, there are four primary methods for taking CBD oil to choose from:

• Ingestion
  • Sublingual
  • Topical
  • Inhalation

The last method, inhalation does not involve combustion but instead, uses a vaporizer.

By lar - Dec. 21, 2018, 1:17 p.m.
Like Reply

MetMike,

I question Mr Trump's motives for pulling out of Syria so I am not ready to applaud just yet. I am waiting to see how prison reform play out as well as these things tend to morph into a head fake right in front of our eyes in my experience.

The hemp portion of the farm bill looks to me like the horse is outta the barn and I dont see how that would be walked back...

Will keep my ears on for those Syria and prison reform related impacts - the proof is in the pudding.

By metmike - Dec. 21, 2018, 1:29 p.m.
Like Reply

Weed should have been legalized decades ago.....but it was vilified and labelled  with all sorts of unfair stigma's that had no authentic scientific/medical backing or behavioral science backing. 

Society has been blatantly hypocritical by allowing alcohol use by those of legal age but making the faaaaaaar less harmful drug, marijuana illegal for dumb reasons. 

How many millions of people got in big trouble over the last 60 years, some spending time in jail just because their preference for catching a buzz was weed?

While the judge sentencing them or the politicians writing the laws got drunk on alcohol every night and some of them  would drive that way. 

By lar - Dec. 21, 2018, 1:54 p.m.
Like Reply

MetMike,

100 percent Agreed... 

It'll probably be legalized in New York in the first 100 days of 2019. Finally.

By TimNew - Dec. 21, 2018, 2:03 p.m.
Like Reply

Among the many wasteful and useless government efforts,  the war on drugs has been one of the worst. A dismal failure that has caused far more harm than good while needlessly ruining lives of otherwise law abiding citizens..  You'd think we'd have learned from prohibition,  but we don't do that.

I don't partake in anything beyond legal prescription and alcohol..  These days.  Was not always the case,  but has been for a few decades.  As far as I am concerned,  if I am sitting on my couch,  I can smoke or sniff or eat anything I want,  right up until I get behind the wheel or some other activity that could put others at risk.

Imagine, without the drug war, prison over crowding would go away and assorted cartels would vanish while gun violence would be reduced by at least 50%.

By wglassfo - Dec. 21, 2018, 2:36 p.m.
Like Reply

Something has to be changed at the border

If you are asked if you have ever used pot, not today, yesterday but any time in your life and you answer yes you will not be allowed into the USA. Even if going directly into a state that has legalized pot. Probably put on the no fly list. Stupid but even if you work in the pot industry you are refused entry

I always wondered what happens if a USA citizen travels out of country and then gets asked the big question upon return. Are you banned from entry to your own country??. Are there different rules for different people??

I know most of you don't even own a passport, and if you own a passport you have never used pot but if you do or did, you need to know the rules ????

By TimNew - Dec. 21, 2018, 2:46 p.m.
Like Reply

Never been asked about drug usage upon reentry to the US.  I've been asked if I have any...  But not if I ever have.

By Lacey - Dec. 21, 2018, 6:04 p.m.
Like Reply

Good post Lar and agree with the follow-up posts.  The CIA invented the word marijuana by combining the two most popular Mexican male and female names.  The savings from released prisoners  for minor pot arrests would save billions.  I personally use cbd oil and THC brownies as protocols for beating my cancer, along with a dozen other supplements.  Before our drug industry was formed, Cannabis oil was available in every pharmacy in the country, and then outlawed by the FDA.  Thank God for the internet.

By JP - Dec. 21, 2018, 7:45 p.m.
Like Reply

Is everyone aware that there are significant differences between hemp and marijuana?

Hemp vs Marijuana Explained 

By lar - Dec. 22, 2018, 5:38 a.m.
Like Reply

Thank god for the Internet! Amen to that Lacey! Wishing you longtime good health and happiness. 

By lar - Dec. 22, 2018, 5:54 a.m.
Like Reply

Good catch JP. 

My post was miseading for those who don’t know the difference. Thanks for clearing that up.

Nixon banned both. The point of my post is that his whole misguided framework is getting torn down. The truth tends to come out over time. It’s sad that it took so long and damaged so many people so badly.

By carlberky - Dec. 22, 2018, 7:23 a.m.
Like Reply

"Is everyone aware that there are significant differences between hemp and marijuana?"

Thanks, John. And I thought I knew every thing ! (G) 

By metmike - Dec. 22, 2018, 1:24 p.m.
Like Reply

Thanks for pointing that out for everybody  John, that wasn't clear earlier.

Hemp Oil vs CBD Oil vs Cannabis Sativa vs Industrial Hemp

https://zatural.com/blogs/blog/hemp-oil-vs-cbd-oil-vs-cannabis-oil

The change in the laws allows for individual states to determine their laws regarding the use of CBD oil, which does come from marijuana which is now legal in almost a dozen states(10)...........and growing.

Medical marijuana is legal in a great number of other states(almost 50%) as is CBD oil, which usually would be used only for medicinal purposes.

Hemp and hemp oil do NOT have the same medicinal benefits as their marijuana counterparts. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/legal-marijuana-states-2018-1

states where marijuana legal map

By lar - Dec. 23, 2018, 12:08 a.m.
Like Reply

MetMike,

Recreational marijuana use will be legal in New York State by May 2019 if I had to guess. New York has been the worst of the worst regarding the criminalization of this plant.

It be nice if the Feds finally let the states decide. Many republicans have been pushing for States rights in the big scheme of things. I agree in this regard. Banking laws, insurance laws, tax laws and more need to change at some point to fully make the transition. 

Thanks for the info man.