I remember a time
6 responses | 0 likes
Started by TimNew - Dec. 28, 2018, 9:31 a.m.

When a strong opening in equities pretty much meant an up day and a weak opening pretty much meant a down day.  That has not been true this quarter, perhaps this year. 

While it's always been true that you don't really know what markets will do from one minute to the next,  I don't think it's ever been as dramatically true as it is now.  Ever more strange to have this level of volatility with the underlying fundamentals largely positive.

It's the price you pay when you have a CIC who is essentially a loose canon that plays fast and loose with the truth.

At the risk of veering into NTR territory,  I yearn for a time when the federal government sticks to it's constitutionally defined parameters and allows markets to seek their own level.

Comments
By patrick - Dec. 28, 2018, 1:59 p.m.
Like Reply

And some days, the market just sits quietly.

It's been a long time since the last wild year. I'm old enough to remember years where you never knew what the afternoon would bring, and old enough to have forgotten most of it.

At least we know the banks are fine. They said so.

By mcfarm - Dec. 28, 2018, 4:01 p.m.
Like Reply

and a stronger more sensible case can be made that computer driven algos that have not a thought of anything human like market fundamentals drive these large market swings, Just this weak the underlying fundamentals are most all strong to very strong and look what the market has been thru.

By TimNew - Dec. 28, 2018, 4:27 p.m.
Like Reply

Algo's certainly play a role in market swings in both directions,  but I don't think that's the main factor right now.

I agree that the fundies are, for the most part good to great, but we are in the midst of a nervous market that is ignoring those fundies while speculating on a high probability that the future sky may fall.

One of two things will happen.  

One,  they'll turn out to be right and the economy will enter dark times.  That can actually be a self-fulfilling prophecy as economics is a science of humanities and is a function of social psychology meshed with hard data.

or Two,  the market players will realize that the potential for the sky actually falling is much less likely than they feared and the market will roar off to new highs.

I lean much more closely to scenario two than one,  but we won't know for sure till we know for sure.

By silverspiker - Dec. 28, 2018, 4:28 p.m.
Like Reply

Grandpa was slow, but he was old.

;-)

By metmike - Dec. 29, 2018, 12:23 a.m.
Like Reply

By jaguar - Dec. 28, 2018, 9:38 a.m.            

" Tim,

How true.....when you have a liar in charge, in the White House, and he lies especially to our troops he visited in a war zone, the markets will remain unduly volatile."

"I wonder if liar Trump calls his detractors liars as well?"

Vandenplas,

You decided to chase Tim over here on the trading forum to pick a fight regarding a topic on the NTR forum that you were battling over.......... like the predator that you are. 

You were banned 5 times from this site by Alex for unacceptable behavior, then for life by me earlier this year.

You tried to sneak back on using the handle jaguar. I knew but allowed you to stay because as jaguar you were behaving/able to control the mean, personal and taunting directed at guys like Tim, cfdr and mcfarm who you have a long history of harassing.

It was made clear to you that there would be zero tolerance from me if you could not control yourself.

So my son almost dies and is still extraordinarily sick and because I'm unable to police MarketForum, you use this opportunity to violate the terms of our agreement and shit in the Trading Forum (and start trouble in the NTR forum) to give me extra work when I'm not able to be here?

Jaguar/vandenplas is banned for life again.

Everybody else here,

I love you all. Thanks for your continued support and I'm sorry that you had to put up with vandenplas/jaguar......for a short while.