Poorest Americans Are Benefiting Most From Strong Economy
7 responses | 0 likes
Started by metmike - May 8, 2019, 1:50 a.m.

https://www.dailysignal.com/2019/05/06/poorest-americans-are-benefiting-most-from-strong-economy/

New York Times reporter Ben Casselman noted that more than 70% of new hires last month “weren’t actively looking for work, but got jobs anyway.”

"In the past year, wage growth was 6.6% for the 10th percentile of workers with the lowest incomes, according to the Annual Report of the Council of Economic Advisers. That’s double the 3.3% growth rate for workers at the top of the income distribution. 

As poorer workers continue to benefit the most from the strong economy, we will see trends in wage inequality go down. By one measure, we have already “seen some narrowing of inequality, measured as wages at the top relative to the bottom,” as reported by Obama administration economist Jason Furman. 

The American people seem to be internalizing all the good news. Job satisfaction and consumer confidence are high. Workers have the highest job satisfaction since 2005, and satisfaction improved faster for lower-income households in the most recent data." 

Comments
By TimNew - May 8, 2019, 3:51 a.m.
Like Reply

and the libs say "Thanks Obama",  cuz during the Obama years, Bush got all the blame, and during the Trump years, Obama gets all the credit.

It's the only way libs can survive.

By mcfarmer - May 8, 2019, 9:16 a.m.
Like Reply

“As poorer workers continue to benefit the most from the strong economy, we will see trends in wage inequality go down. “

I don’t know how they figure what “most” is. If your wage goes up 10% I don’t know how that compares to an investor whose portfolio goes up 10%. They didn’t supply very many numbers, kind of hard to evaluate their claim.

But, I guess we now recognize there is wage inequality at least.

By mcfarmer - May 8, 2019, 9:16 a.m.
Like Reply

“and the libs say "Thanks Obama",  cuz during the Obama years, Bush got all the blame, and during the Trump years, Obama gets all the credit.

It's the only way libs can survive.”

Yawn.

By TimNew - May 8, 2019, 10:24 a.m.
Like Reply

"But, I guess we now recognize there is wage inequality at least."

No one has denied that income inequality exists.  There are also things like height inequality. It's just something adults generally don't consider an issue.

By mcfarmer - May 8, 2019, 12:42 p.m.
Like Reply

“No one has denied that income inequality exists.  There are also things like height inequality. It's just something adults generally don't consider an issue.”

Ahahaha, that’s a good one, what a rejoinder. Did you think of that yourself ? No, I guess not.

Did your source also say what effect government policy has on height inequality ?

No ?

As  always, the last word is yours.

By metmike - May 8, 2019, 1:10 p.m.
Like Reply

"They didn’t supply very many numbers, kind of hard to evaluate their claim."

Maybe this link they provided will help you:

Why Wages Are Finally Rising, 10 Years After the Recession

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/02/business/economy/wage-growth-economy.html

"The recent gains are going to those who need it most. Over the past year, low-wage workers have experienced the fastest pay increases, a shift from earlier in the recovery, when wage growth was concentrated at the top."

By TimNew - May 8, 2019, 1:40 p.m.
Like Reply

"Ahahaha, that’s a good one, what a rejoinder. Did you think of that yourself ? No, I guess not.

Did your source also say what effect government policy has on height inequality ?"

You slept through the witty repartee part of the class huh?  

The fact is,  life is full of inequalities.  Some are given to us through genetics, as in height, but most are of our own making, as in income.  You can whine about income and look to someone else, i.e. government to fix it for you,  you can accept your income, or you can work to increase your income.  Hint: Options 2 and 3 have the greatest chance for success.

Do you suppose government has played a role in income inequality.  Do you think government should somehow be setting income?   I bet you do.  In spite of the long history with reams of supporting data documenting government failure in such matters, there are those who still look to them as a solution.  

Milton Friedman, who I am sure you also disagree with said.. "When government - in pursuit of good intentions - tries to rearrange the economy, legislate morality, or help special interests, the cost come in inefficiency, lack of motivation, and loss of freedom. Government should be a referee, not an active player."