British view of Trump
4 responses | 0 likes
Started by joj - June 6, 2019, 5:46 a.m.
Why Brits don't like Trump

Someone asked "Why do some British people not like Donald Trump?"
Nate White, an articulate and witty writer from England, wrote this magnificent response:
"A few things spring to mind.
Trump lacks certain qualities which the British traditionally esteem.
For instance, he has no class, no charm, no coolness, no credibility, no compassion, no wit, no warmth, no wisdom, no subtlety, no sensitivity, no self-awareness, no humility, no honour and no grace - all qualities, funnily enough, with which his predecessor Mr. Obama was generously blessed.
So for us, the stark contrast does rather throw Trump’s limitations into embarrassingly sharp relief.
Plus, we like a laugh. And while Trump may be laughable, he has never once said anything wry, witty or even faintly amusing - not once, ever.
I don’t say that rhetorically, I mean it quite literally: not once, not ever. And that fact is particularly disturbing to the British sensibility - for us, to lack humour is almost inhuman.
But with Trump, it’s a fact. He doesn’t even seem to understand what a joke is - his idea of a joke is a crass comment, an illiterate insult, a casual act of cruelty.
Trump is a troll. And like all trolls, he is never funny and he never laughs; he only crows or jeers.
And scarily, he doesn’t just talk in crude, witless insults - he actually thinks in them. His mind is a simple bot-like algorithm of petty prejudices and knee-jerk nastiness.
There is never any under-layer of irony, complexity, nuance or depth. It’s all surface.
Some Americans might see this as refreshingly upfront.
Well, we don’t. We see it as having no inner world, no soul.
And in Britain we traditionally side with David, not Goliath. All our heroes are plucky underdogs: Robin Hood, Dick Whittington, Oliver Twist.
Trump is neither plucky, nor an underdog. He is the exact opposite of that.
He’s not even a spoiled rich-boy, or a greedy fat-cat.
He’s more a fat white slug. A Jabba the Hutt of privilege.
And worse, he is that most unforgivable of all things to the British: a bully.
That is, except when he is among bullies; then he suddenly transforms into a snivelling sidekick instead.
There are unspoken rules to this stuff - the Queensberry rules of basic decency - and he breaks them all. He punches downwards - which a gentleman should, would, could never do - and every blow he aims is below the belt. He particularly likes to kick the vulnerable or voiceless - and he kicks them when they are down.
So the fact that a significant minority - perhaps a third - of Americans look at what he does, listen to what he says, and then think 'Yeah, he seems like my kind of guy’ is a matter of some confusion and no little distress to British people, given that:* Americans are supposed to be nicer than us, and mostly are.* You don't need a particularly keen eye for detail to spot a few flaws in the man.
This last point is what especially confuses and dismays British people, and many other people too; his faults seem pretty bloody hard to miss.
After all, it’s impossible to read a single tweet, or hear him speak a sentence or two, without staring deep into the abyss. He turns being artless into an art form; he is a Picasso of pettiness; a Shakespeare of shit. His faults are fractal: even his flaws have flaws, and so on ad infinitum.
God knows there have always been stupid people in the world, and plenty of nasty people too. But rarely has stupidity been so nasty, or nastiness so stupid.
He makes Nixon look trustworthy and George W look smart.
In fact, if Frankenstein decided to make a monster assembled entirely from human flaws - he would make a Trump.
And a remorseful Doctor Frankenstein would clutch out big clumpfuls of hair and scream in anguish:
'My God… what… have… I… created?
Comments
By TimNew - June 6, 2019, 6:33 a.m.
Like Reply

Some people will head a post with "British View of Trump", implying a consensus, even when the referenced blog starts with "Why do some Brits not like Trump".  I think that's somewhat less than honest, especially when a cursory glance or a simple google search will paint quite a different picture. A more accurate heading would be "A British View of Trump" or "Some Brits view of Trump".

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/jun/4/inside-the-beltway-britain-a-lot-more-favorable-to/

“Too bad President Trump can’t run for prime minister of Britain. He arrived in London for his long-awaited state visit just as Britons showed themselves to be a lot Trumpier than the elites have been suggesting,” writes New York Sun editor Seth Lipsky, in an op-ed for the New York Post.

Yes, of course there were “Leftists louts,” British “never Trumpers,” gaudy demonstrations and protesters afoot in London during Mr. Trump’s visit. But no matter."

“There is a growing respect for the President here in Britain at such a vital time for us to get our sovereignty back, he is here at a great time!” Mr. Farage himself tweeted Tuesday."

By GunterK - June 6, 2019, 10:35 a.m.
Like Reply

The British newspaper DailyMail covered Pres. Trump’s visit to the UK with extraordinary length and detail, as expected.

I had always thought that the People of the UK loathed Pres. Trump. However, when I read the reader comments in the DailyMail, I was surprised, how few comments (written by UK citizens) were anti-Trump.

It seems to me, 2016 US election was a water-shed moment for many people in Europe. They may not have liked Trump, the person, but they admired him as the first leader of the Western world to take a strong stance against illegal immigration.

Well known TV personality John Cleese recently said “London is no longer an English city”. When one hears such a horrendous statement, one must come to the conclusion that the EU Elite’s immigration policies are like a cancer that devours their homeland.

By TimNew - June 6, 2019, 10:45 a.m.
Like Reply

"They may not have liked Trump, the person, but they admired him as the first leader of the Western world to take a strong stance against illegal immigration."

I think this concisely sums up the feelings of many of us "Trumptard apologists".  Though I would not limit it to illegal immigration. I think he has many positive ideas/policies regarding the economy. 

BTW,  I get the impression that the US press coverage of Trumps visit has been far more negative that the UK press coverage.   Go figger.

By metmike - June 6, 2019, 3:31 p.m.
Like Reply

I agree with almost all of that and have stated much of it(certainly not to the point of trying to turn him into a monster, which is exactly what this intentionally does)  with regards to the president with the most character flaws and worst personality in history.......by a very wide margin.

He was that way before 2016.  He still is that way in 2019 and will always be that way.  

Great, we agree. He got elected being that way. Regardless of whether you voted from him or not, enough people did vote for this horrible personality/character, who did not collude with Russia that he is the legit president who has done nothing to be impeached.................other than having such  horrible personality/character flaws that make him such an easy target.

The new criteria for being impeached as president:

If you can get enough people on the other side hating you because of massive character flaws,  they will accept any and all abuses of the hated person's rights as a citizen and  the office earned authentically and democratically in an election.

So then, this is just a side show to avoid things like the economy and fixing border security which Trump has a  superior position on.  2020 results are the objective.

It seems obvious that British people really don't like Trump but if half of his own country doesn't like him and many hate his guts........then no surprise there. 

But here's the difference. British people's opinion does not factor in the US economy or the US southern border crisis and that shouldn't  matter that much to Brits. However, it's of paramount importance to US citizens, half of which still pretend these realities don't exist and now, believe that this great economy was the result of Obama/Biden. 

Seriously, that's what the position is now. 

Obama Is 'Making Stuff Up' About The Trump Economic Boom

https://www.investors.com/politics/editorials/economic-boom-trump-obama/

Obama: Later in that same self-congratulatory speech, Obama said that "unlike some, I actually try to state facts. I believe in facts. I believe in a fact-based reality and a fact-based politics. I don't believe in just making stuff up."

But the authentic facts show, indisputably Mr. Obama that's exactly what you just did. 

Biden Tries to Take Credit for Trump’s Accomplishments

https://www.lifezette.com/2019/05/biden-tries-to-take-full-credit-for-trumps-economic-accomplishments/

"Former Vice President and 2020 Democratic candidate Joe Biden took full credit on Saturday for the positive United States economy we’re currently experiencing.

He even claimed President Donald Trump was “squandering” the success of “the Obama-Biden administration.”

"Biden said this in the video below: “I know President Trump likes to take credit for the economy … Just look at the facts, not the alternative facts. President Trump inherited an economy from Obama-Biden administration that was given to him — just like he inherited everything else in his life.”