5 Mysterious Fossil Discoveries Science Can’t Explain
3 responses | 0 likes
Started by carlberky - June 11, 2019, 11:37 a.m.
Comments
By metmike - June 11, 2019, 4:48 p.m.
Like Reply

Crazy stuff. I didn't have time to watch the entire video but the last one sounds pretty crazy.

It did make me think of something because these fossils were many thousands of years old. 

Carbon dating of fossils. Recently on your link about woolly mammoths, that I enjoyed so much,  I found it impossible to believe they could have lived for thousands of years on top of a thick layer of ice with no food source.

Which would have been the case 20,000 years ago in Siberia when, supposedly they were still around. 

The source in this video refers to the age of fossils, which I assume was from carbon dating.

I've never researched carbon dating but it appears as if it's not very reliable when you go back more than several thousand years. 

Is Carbon Dating Accurate?

https://www.allaboutarchaeology.org/is-carbon-dating-accurate-faq.htm

"Unfortunately, we aren't able to reliably date artifacts beyond several thousand years. Scientists have tried to extend confidence in the carbon dating method further back in time by calibrating the method using tree ring dating. Unfortunately, tree ring dating is itself not entirely reliable, especially the "long chronology" employed to calibrate the carbon dating method. The result is that carbon dating is accurate for only a few thousand years. Anything beyond that is questionable."

Which is actually what I knew from deduction, from reading that scientists are using it to tell us the woolly mammoths went extinct........AFTER an ice age that lasted tens of thousands of years was over. 

An animal can't thrive with no food source for tens of thousands of years, then die off when food becomes abundant. 

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/32102/

What do you think?

By carlberky - June 11, 2019, 5:21 p.m.
Like Reply

"There are more things in heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy"

By metmike - June 11, 2019, 5:40 p.m.
Like Reply

That's for sure carl!