Iran
21 responses | 0 likes
Started by cliff-e - June 21, 2019, 8:14 a.m.

Global business interests face a sticky situation and 45 is painting himself into a corner once more.

http://www.rferl.org/a/europeans-move-protect-firms-renewed-us-sanctions-iran-/29222484.html

Comments
Re: Iran
0 likes
By cliff-e - June 21, 2019, 8:47 a.m.
Like Reply
Re: Re: Iran
0 likes
By mcfarm - June 21, 2019, 10:39 a.m.
Like Reply

so Iran has been poking Bears for decades and its Trump painting himself into a corner....sure Cliff how that working out for Iran?

0 likes
By metmike - June 21, 2019, 12:10 p.m.
Like Reply

Thanks cliff!

From your linked story:

"Explaining his decision Friday morning, Trump wrote: “We were cocked & loaded to retaliate last night on 3 different sights when I asked, how many will die. 150 people, sir, was the answer from a General. 10 minutes before the strike I stopped it, not proportionate to shooting down an unmanned drone.”

He added: “I am in no hurry, our Military is rebuilt, new, and ready to go, by far the best in the world. Sanctions are biting & more added last night. Iran can NEVER have Nuclear Weapons, not against the USA, and not against the WORLD!”

By TimNew - June 21, 2019, 12:33 p.m.
Like Reply

We were cocked & loaded to retaliate last night on 3 different sights when I asked, how many will die. 150 people, sir, was the answer from a General. 10 minutes before the strike I stopped it, not proportionate to shooting down an unmanned drone.”

Imagine how this would be perceived were Trump to have a "D" prefix.  The left would be dancing in the streets.

This is how a true CIC thinks and acts.  

By mcfarmer - June 21, 2019, 5:05 p.m.
Like Reply

“Imagine how this would be perceived were Trump to have a "D" prefix.  The left would be dancing in the streets.

This is how a true CIC thinks and acts. “

See, that’s a good example of the type of blatant hypocrisy that makes civil discourse so difficult these days. Strong  minds avoid hypocrisy, it destroys any credence a person might have. Now, I’m not thinking you came up with that but I imagine if we did an infowars search we could find something similar.

I will make a deal with you. I will agree generally with what you said if you could break from the mould and give me an idea of what the wacked right would be doing if Donald was a democratic president and did this.

Yeah. We’ll wait.

Re: Iran
0 likes
By cliff-e - June 21, 2019, 5:31 p.m.
Like Reply

Iran's a back burner issue for now...one that can be drawn upon as criminal investigations continue and it can be played up next election year. Count on it.

0 likes
By mcfarm - June 21, 2019, 5:50 p.m.
Like Reply

so you cliff are now saying Trump ordered the hit on our drone? wow, you have rounded the bend

0 likes
By TimNew - June 21, 2019, 5:58 p.m.
Like Reply

Well,  speaking as an inforwars addicted hypocrite,  I don't think the criminal activities of the previous admin and Iran will ever come fully to light.   At least not by the next election.

BTW McFarmer,  that "CIC" comment was my statement.  I spend no time with infowars and almost no time with Fox..   But liberals love to associate arguments they can't win with that sort of thing. "I heard the exact thing on Fox" is a win for them.  They have a  proclivity for denigrating the source instead of the data.  The climate debate of "settled science" is a great example. Kinda like the pigeon on the chessboard debate tactic.

Anyway,  your ad hominems aside,  I stand with my statement that Trump did the right thing.  I firmly believe that the lib-dems would be cheering had Obama or Clinton done something similar.  But they never did. And the MSM denigrated Trump for saying he would attack, and then denigrated him for not attacking.  And the sheep agreed. 

Obama had his "red-lines" that he ignored while begging and bribing.  Hillary was all for a preemptive nuclear strike on Iran and we likely would have had one by now. 

But, if you can present a situation where a dem conducted himself in the same manner in a similar situation,  I'd be happy to have an ad hominem free discussion on it.  Can you do that?

By metmike - June 21, 2019, 8:01 p.m.
Like Reply

Tim,

One side is losing touch with realities in trying to connect everything Trump does as being bad.

I'm guessing(maybe incorrectly) that this link was supposed to illustrate something bad about Trump but if you read what Trump did and said...........it actually makes Trump look good. 

The  Mueller report was supposed to show Trump colluding with Russia and it actually makes him look good because it proves he didn't  but one side is using that report that proves Trump is innocent of the charges as a reason to impeach him.

Trumps threat to Mexico on tariffs to get them to act makes him look like a genius....but the other side uses it as an example of him being an out of control idiot. 

One of the first things that he did was withdraw from the fraudulent Climate Accord and got bashed around the world and accused of being responsible for actions that will destroy the planet...........for making one of the smartest decisions ever made by a US president. 

Trump does and says some ludicrous things which provides plenty of ammo for his opponents. However, Trump does and says some brilliant things too. When one side continually bashes his brilliant ideas/actions(or makes accusations where innocence was proven) as hard as they do his rediculous stuff, they display their blatant bias. 

By metmike - June 21, 2019, 8:16 p.m.
Like Reply

"I imagine if we did an infowars search we could find something similar.

I will make a deal with you. I will agree generally with what you said if you could break from the mould and give me an idea of what the wacked right would be doing if Donald was a democratic president and did this."

So using the expression "wacked right" is objective?  Or telling Tim that  his statement sounds like it came from "infowars" a noted extreme, right wing conspiracy source?

Tim obviously lines up strongly to the right side of the political spectrum but attacking a point as an objective observer means not using verbiage used by the extreme end of the opposite side of the spectum..........and I know that you're not extreme mcfarmer. 

By mcfarmer - June 21, 2019, 8:27 p.m.
Like Reply

Well Tim I expected that but hoped for more.

Typical deflection, answer a question with a question, bring up the past but never say anything substantive.

The conservative mindset isn’t capable of creative thought, oh, there are exceptions of course. Creativity is antithetical  to conservative thought by definition.

But to answer your question, no, I can’t think of a past president who would wait until ten minutes before a strike was to be launched to ask how many casualties there would be.

Mike, I understand your concern to keep things even handed.

You all can have the last word, nothing new to be said.

By TimNew - June 21, 2019, 8:44 p.m.
Like Reply

"I will make a deal with you. I will agree generally with what you said if you could break from the mould and give me an idea of what the wacked right would be doing if Donald was a democratic president and did this."

McFarmer. I answered your question.  Sorry if you didn't like it. Further apology...  I don't want to take responsibility for what a "WACKED RIGHT" would say. May I ask you what a _________________ Might say?

Mike. I think this is exactly what Biden was talking about.  We don't have debate.  "What?  You like something Trump did/said?  You homophobic racist bigot!!!" And that's why Biden stands no chance.  Too bad.  I doubt I'd vote for him,   but how nice to have someone like that represent the other side.

By metmike - June 21, 2019, 8:49 p.m.
Like Reply

With regards to us trying to imagine if this was Obama and how would the republicans act or how would the democrats act if this was Obama is silly.

We hear this all the time. Really, very often about situations A, B, C....... Z.  

Almost every time, it's used to justify something unjustifiable by giving an example of something else unjustifiable. 

Action: Constant Trump bashing and hate focused at him by liberals.

Attempt to justify it: When Obama was president, extreme right wingers/birthers constantly harassed him about being born in Kenya!

Last time, with Obama it was Fox and the conservatives going after him, so this time, it's only fair that everybody else, including the justice department's opportunity to try to destroy him..........and when doing it unfairly, use Obama as an example of why it is ALWAYS ok. 

So I guess when Biden is elected, it's ok for the other side to investigate him for 4 years, make false accusations and try to impeach him because that's what one side did to Trump?

Of course the scale of the attacks on Trump vs Obama make comparisons ridiculous to begin with but we are often looking to blame our own side's(not my side by one side) poor response on the other side because they started it or they do/did it too.

Tell that to the cop that pulls you over for going 80 mph when the speed limit is 65 mph. "Officer, there were other cars going 80 mph, so I should be able to break the law too"

If you are breaking the law.........or displaying poor behavior or treating somebody with disrespect..............no matter how many other people are doing it, it doesn't change the fact that you are breaking the law, displaying poor behavior or being disrespectful.

By TimNew - June 22, 2019, 5:49 a.m.
Like Reply

I get your point Mike..   But my take on this, and my response to McF was that Trump did the right thing.  Much like Biden did the right thing when he called for cooperation and compromise, and continued to do the right thing when he refused to back down on it regardless of the nonsensical attempt at race based invective by the mental liliputians that comprise the majority of the leftist party. Doing the right thing is  not defined by party lines, though by the behavior of many, an alien observer would probably conclude that's what most of us believe.

I brought up Obama/Clinton when McF challenged me on how I would react were a dem to do the right thing in a similar situation. Unfortunately, in the closest example of similar situations I could think of,  they did not do the right thing, so I couldn't really respond.

BTW,  I found the phrase "Creativity is antithetical  to conservative thought by definition." one of the most amusing additions to MF discussion in quite some time. Creativity on the left involves trying to invent a narrative that makes flawed and failed economic and social policy look viable in spite of reams of historic and current data to the contrary. Putting lipstick on a pig, so to speak. Very "creative".

Creativity on the right consists of all that boring stuff that ends up financing the creativity of the left. So it's kinda like how kids find their parents very boring. Gosh,  that analogy works on so many levels  :-)

By metmike - June 22, 2019, 7:26 a.m.
Like Reply

Tim,

I agree with you on this being a unique version of what would the other party do if their guy was president and what triggered the thought for me was mcfarmers comment in response to your comment......which was emphasizing the other party wacko reaction under similar, hypothetical situations angle.

By metmike - June 22, 2019, 7:51 a.m.
Like Reply

I think regardless of what party or who said it or why they said it or when they said it......we had a president that finally said it in these previously, non politically accepted terms.........”how many will die if we do this?”

That has been my point exactly about all these counterproductive military interventions;actions in foreign countries for decades. 

We have a bunch of politicians and army generals applying strategies like they are playing chess matches but using thousands of  human lives as if they are pawns on the board in the game.

But it’s not a game and these are not chess pieces. These are real human beings where strategic moves call for sacrificing your lives OR involve winning/advantageous moves by you that kill real people in the real world on the other side.

By TimNew - June 22, 2019, 8:03 a.m.
Like Reply

Exactly!!  Which prompted my "How a CIC is supposed to act" comment.  Applying Justice to the equation.  How may will die?  Too many to justify the retaliation for an unmanned drone.   What a concept!!! I don't care if you have a "D" prefix or an "R" prefix.   This was the right thing to do.  Stay the course with sanctions and we can win. On many levels, including keeping our self-respect.

But the left villified his intentions to launch an attack and then villified him for calling it off.

By mcfarm - June 22, 2019, 11:47 a.m.
Like Reply

MM and Tim what a great thread to read. Thanks. As for the other "contributor" it only shines the light on what a complete mess our educational system has become with the notion of "do not even try to bring a different idea or thought to school." You students will listen and learn our version and learn to repeat it until you believe its the only version....period, end of debate"Thanks again mcfarmer for reminding us how things work in liberal America.

By GunterK - June 22, 2019, 8:35 p.m.
Like Reply

since the topic of this threat is about Trump's  response to the Iran issue, it brings back memories of 2016. I distinctly remember a video clip, where H Clinton was asked to comment on Iran. She said that she would not hesitate to make a preemptive nuclear strike

and we all know, what a "preemptive nuclear strike" will lead to.

I guess, we lucked out not to have "Madame President" at the helm

By TimNew - June 22, 2019, 9:34 p.m.
Like Reply

Imagine a world where Trump turns out to be the cooler head...  I know it's crazy, but it's true.

By mcfarmer - June 22, 2019, 9:36 p.m.
Like Reply

“MM and Tim what a great thread to read. Thanks. s for the other "contributor" it only shines the light on what a complete mess our educational system has become with the notion of "do not even try to bring a different idea or thought to school. You students will listen and learn our version and learn to repeat it until you believe its the only version....period, end of debate. Thanks again mcfarmer for remindining us how things work in liberal America.”

You didn’t do well in school did you.