Hepatitis A epidemic in Western Florida...
5 responses | 0 likes
Started by TimNew - July 6, 2019, 8:13 p.m.

Weird Huh? All these outbreaks of diseases that were at one time rare or nonexistent...Not so long ago. The below link refers to data from May. It's gotten much worse since.   Not  much coverage in the news..  But my relatives down there tell me not to come without  a vaccination.  Hope you are all up to date on all those vaccinations you may have started to think were not quite necessary. 

On the plus side, dems are gaining voters at a rapid rate daily. Ad what else really matters?

Of course, there is no relation between disease and illegal immigrants, right?  An idea like that would suggest that dems don't have the best interest of citizens as part of their agenda,  and we all know that  can't be true.

Side note:  It appears my brother in law's grandson is likely to die from liver failure due to hep a. A week ago, he was healthy.   

But  let's not lose sight of the fact that illegal immigration is what built this country!!

http://outbreaknewstoday.com/florida-hepatitis-outbreak-tops-1000-cases-2019/

Comments
By metmike - July 6, 2019, 10:20 p.m.
Like Reply

Interesting topic Tim.

Hard to know what the real risks are and there are no studies that could accurately capture metrics to measure it because this group is so unique.  I will guess that one group exaggerates the risks and the other one under estimates it.

An article from one side, gives us explanations like this:

Studies Show Fears About Migration and Disease Are Unfounded

https://psmag.com/news/studies-show-fears-about-migration-and-disease-are-unfounded

"Where did these fears come from? The researchers note that, as scientific notions of infectious disease took hold, racist and white supremacist notions of racial hierarchy also began to spread through the U.S."

Name calling like that destroys their credibility.

Then we have news stories like this:

Mumps, other outbreaks force U.S. detention centers to quarantine over 2,000 migrants

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-immigration-outbreaks/more-than-2000-migrants-quarantined-in-u-s-detention-centers-due-to-disease-outbreaks-idUSKBN1QR0EW

“We are seeing migrants arrive with illnesses and medical conditions in unprecedented numbers,” McAleenan said at a press conference. 

However, vaccination rates in the countries of El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras are above 90 percent, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. ICE detainees come from countries all over the world, with varying degrees of vaccination coverage."

So what is really happening?

For sure a greatly elevated risk if you are a detainee or border patrol worker because of the local/crowded conditions. Then, probably a somewhat higher risk for people that these people come in contact with when they move to new locations because they just came from an environment that made them more likely to be sick or be a carrier of the illness/disease. 

After that, it seems hard to make a strong case for something like widespread outbreaks increasing significantly but data to show it either way probably does not exist.

In your article, it appears as if a food service worker is responsible for spreading the disease to alot of people. The number of cases is very alarming. What is this attributed to?

By TimNew - July 7, 2019, 6:19 p.m.
Like Reply
By metmike - July 7, 2019, 8:43 p.m.
Like Reply

Thanks Tim. Keep us posted.

To me, anecdotel reports like that should be expected and don't suggest anything alarming.

We can all find articles on the internet that show local, mostly isolated outbreaks of anything. To me, this is like taking every extreme weather event and using it as an example of human caused climate change, even though extreme weather events similar to what we've had recently or even worse have been happening since humans existed. 

It's possible that we are in the early stages of something worse or alot goes unreported but from a scientific point of view, I'm not convinced its huge and modern medicine and science is very capable of quickly identifying outbreaks and treating them effectively, unlike just 100 years ago, before antibiotics for instance.

And this is not the 3rd world where people would not get that needed treatment and it would become a major outbreak. 

By TimNew - July 7, 2019, 9:03 p.m.
Like Reply

Is it a huge problem?   Who knows?     Are we seeing an outbreak of diseases that we haven't seen for a few centuries? I think so.  Would this be happening if we did not have a few hundred thousand illegal immigrants from what amounts to third world countries?  I dunno..   Do you?

Should we be concerned?   Maybe..

By metmike - July 7, 2019, 9:15 p.m.
Like Reply

I agree with all that and that IF it's already a problem we might not know about it for awhile because there are interests that don't want us to know............some for good reason, like to not panic or upset people. 

I also remember the ebola scare and bird flu and swine flu scares. 

People were over reacting, even my family. I insisted that there was no way ebola was ever going to cause a widespread outbreak in this county and will stick to that because it takes close contact with another person to get it(you can't pick it up from door knobs for instance).

Maybe it could be spread quickly though in one of our illegal immigration concentration camps (-: kidding about the name but not that illnesses could get out of control in that sort of environment.