White privilege
15 responses | 0 likes
Started by wglassfo - July 21, 2019, 2:11 p.m.

What the heck has come over us and our respective countries, [yours and mine]

I think our country is much the same as yours, although I must admit, I do not have a direct line into our schools via actual students to question

I had a niece who receently graduated and has found a job

I must question her the next time available, [if I remember]

Any hoo

The headline I read was the teachers union decided they should teach why "white privilege is bad"

Now what does the colour of your skin have anything to do with anything

Many yrs ago I had to get a paper signed in a Federal building where the Fed gov't hired the employees. It was a virtual sea of every nationality that looked back at me. For sure a white skin did not sway the hiring process

I see successsful people of all colours in our country and yours

Do people with out white skin need something extra to find a job??

I see many a white skin working for minimum wage, many a white skin that is homeless the list goes on

So why is white skin so bad

Does AOC and her small band of followers have an  over abundant influence on the nation

We always seem to blame the media. But you have to admit that AOC is very media savvy, creating headlines that must be reported to sell media space and interest which is where the revenue comes from

She may not know much about anything other than being media savvy

In todays world which journalist would dare to question her and keep a job

Seems like who ever has the gold rules and headlines is golden

It is not right but it does work for AOC

She did not even have to comment on the schools but people took up her  ideas or thoughts and did her work, with this silly idea of skin colour 

Comments
By metmike - July 21, 2019, 3:53 p.m.
Like Reply

Wayne,

For thousands of years, men were considered superior to women(who only got the right to vote 100 years ago incredibly). 

This disparity in benefits that they enjoyed and had advantages for in society has been shrinking since before then and more rapidly in recent years.

Now, society looks back from its current position.............which is to strive for equality and is getting much closer to the mark than ever before......at the past and is horrified. that society in the past could have ever tolerated such horrendous discrimimation(even more so with race).

And the gatekeepers of todays moral narrative sell the idea of judging past white males for the atrocities they imposed on the women and non whites they controlled in the past. I am not justifying any of that but slavery was an accepted human condition going back thousands of years. The Isralites in the Old Testament were all slaves. What do you think the story about Moses parting the Red Sea is all about and his people escaping slavery?

People back then were just ignorant. They thought the sun revolved around the earth. The earth was flat, some races were superior or destined to ruling and men were supposed to be in charge of everything. 

Their parents going back forever taught them this. 

Today, do we consider Aristotle an idiot because he didn't understand the universe as well as a 6th grader in elementary school?

Were great inventors and minds in the past, dumb because there are many laws of physics or science they did not have a clue about?

So too should be how we interpret laws of morality. These discriminators of women, blacks, Indians, Jews, slaves or whomever were raised to accept the moral truths that defined their more primitive times.

The problem comes now, when some in society want white men to have some accountability for their white male ancestors actions...........as if it was today's white males fault.

And they assume that this "white privilege" has been such a powerful force for them in history, that they are in positions of power that they do not deserve.

So instead of equality, they impose a  reverse discrimination "mentality" in order to restore what they think is justice for past sins in many cases. They despise and attack older white men because they represent the last of those who discriminated the most on a large scale.............even going back to some great men in history that owned slaves.

One can understand why discrimination in the past existed, in a large part because society was morally ignorant of equal rights for all people......regardless of race, gender or creed.

We know much better today and there is no excuse for it............including discriminating against white males in your judging of them based on their actions in today's world and treating them with the same tolerance, understanding and compassion that you extend to women or other races. 

By joj - July 21, 2019, 5:06 p.m.
Like Reply

White male privilege exists.

I am amused by white males who can't see it.

By GunterK - July 21, 2019, 5:40 p.m.
Like Reply

I don't know... I went to the movie theater the other day, and they asked me for my white-privilege card, and when I didn't have one, they made me pay like all the other people.

However, joking aside..... here in California we started something new... we now have illegal-alien privilege for people up to age 25. This means (and this is no joke), illegal aliens receive full, and I mean full medical coverage. While legal US citizens of the same age have to pay for medical insurance, and make -co-payments when they see doctors, and make co-payments for medication, illegal aliens get everything for free

Paraphrasing Ilhan Omar....California is racist, cruel and unjust"

As they say, trends in California will soon show up in your state. 

By metmike - July 21, 2019, 6:18 p.m.
Like Reply

"White male privilege exists.

I am amused by white males who can't see it."

It seems to me that everybody is keenly aware of it ruling in the past and why and that its getting MUCH better with time and that is continuing and still needs work and some that are lagging and slow to move forward with progress but none of that is new.

What's new, is the explosively growing group of people that have flipped to the opposite extreme on this issue. 

Besides equal rights(which was the altruistic objective in the past and is the good one) they are targeting the group which has had the privilige in the past with hate speech and hate agenda.

This is not how you experience positive growth. This is not how you work together in harmony. It's good to be assertive and stand up for your rights but wanting to punish and/or vilify those same people that  you also want to see your points is always counterproductive.

By joj - July 21, 2019, 7 p.m.
Like Reply

Gunter,

Your post is false.  Pick your favorite fact checking site.

Or....

FLAME ON!!!!

By joj - July 21, 2019, 7:16 p.m.
Like Reply
By GunterK - July 21, 2019, 7:50 p.m.
Like Reply

here you go, joj

https://www.npr.org/2019/07/10/740147546/california-first-state-to-offer-health-benefits-to-adult-undocumented-immigrants

US citizen children of low income families already get Medical (completely free health care), but not up to age 25

By TimNew - July 21, 2019, 8:58 p.m.
Like Reply

There's this poor silly negro who goes to my church.  His name is Daniel ( can't spell or even pronounce his last name).  He came to the US from Nigeria and nearly starved there,  and here for the first year or so.  He never heard how he had no chance for success,  so he went to school,  got his masters in international finance and worked his way to having milions.  The idiot!!!  If only he listened to liberals like "JOJ",   he could be living in a tenament for free on welfare.  All that  hard work for nothing!!! And the idiot does not even vote democrat.   WTH???

By TimNew - July 21, 2019, 9:41 p.m.
Like Reply

BTW "JOJ",  I will admit that as a hard working intelligent white guy who tries to make the most of every opportunity,  I have a HUGE advantage.  

That being said, I've worked with many minorities over the years who were hard working intelligent (insert your preferred color here) who have tried to make the most of every opportunity, and they have done pretty well too . I've ended up working for more than a few.

The old saying is "luck is simply effort meeting opportunity".   And it's quite true, regardless of the color of your skin.

Or..   you can choose to believe that you have no chance..  Without LOTS of government help.  

By WxFollower - July 21, 2019, 10:41 p.m.
Like Reply

I think using the term “white privilege” invites divisiveness and is racist because it is a negative generalization, making liberals who use it hypocrites when they preach against racism in general. I don’t doubt that a higher % of whites are in a better position at the start of their lives than are blacks, but that certainly isn’t the case for anywhere near all whites as many of them grow up in difficult economic conditions, themselves. Therefore the term is racist.

By GunterK - July 21, 2019, 11:19 p.m.
Like Reply
By metmike - July 21, 2019, 11:31 p.m.
Like Reply

Good points Larry!

I've mentioned my Dad numerous times.

Grew up in the inner city of Detroit, often on welfare, never meeting his dad. 

Graduated from the University of Detroit in 1950 with a degree in sociology and philosophy as he initially was considering being a social worker to help make the world a better place. That didn't make much money so he became a self taught  Industrial Engineer for Ford Motor company a few years after graduation until retiring in 1989.

There was zero about his success that had to do with him being white.

Interestingly, I remember in the early 80's, when he was training a black guy that had just graduated from the University of Purdue to do the time study job, he was shocked that the guy could not do basic math.......and he supposedly had an engineering degree.

He was convinced that the guy must have been granted some special treatments thru affirmative action in order to get to where he was because the guy just could not do the basic math needed for the job and he just was not capable of performing the job.

He said it was either that or he faked the  credentials on his resume. 

I don't have a racist cell in my body but am just telling you a story that came from an old white guy that had the opposite of privilige growing up about a black guy that apparently enjoyed special treatment to get to where he was.

Of course I recognize that this story does not define everybody in the real world, which in the past, featured massive white privilige and black/women discrimination, which still exists but you just can't stereotype people based on their skin color or gender and label them as a group. 

We should minimize identifying people as "white" or "black" or male/female when applying their relationships to  various realms in the world where race or gender should not matter. 

By wglassfo - July 22, 2019, 6:11 a.m.
Like Reply

Some one said white skin has it's privilage

I just had a thought that I can't answer

I went to an ag College to better my education

There was one exchange student from Africa who did nothing but play a guitar very badly. He was allowed to graduate as he was intended to go back home and educate his people of candian farming methods. Never saw a more lazy person who learned nothing as he attended virtually zero classes. I think he came from wealth back home. One other student was of colour and did farm after graduation. His folks came to Canada by way of the underground escape route from USA slavery, and settled around "Uncle Toms cabin"

Then I graduated, along side some 70 other white skin folks and began to farm with a negative equity

22% int rates ended up with the bank seizing all my assets and selling me out

yrs later after buying back my 1st farm from proceeds from long hrs in a truck I began farming again

With the help of my son we are doing rather well although my son has some huge land payments, and my grandson still works for wages with no land ownership. So we are not in the lap of luxury, just comfortable

But, as much as we struggle I look around me

Not one person of colour owns land or is in any way what you would consider a farmer, that I know of. All Ag meetings etc. in the winter feature white skin only.

Every farmer in our part of the world, has  white skin and I think the same in your country. We did not have slavery so that is not an excuse. Anybody had the same chance at land in our country. If my negative net worth was an example  of starting from the bottom, why do people of colour not become farmers. Is the reason because they don't want to become farmers

Or???

Is this in any way white privilege, when I asked for credit and loans from lending institutions. I sure did not have a silver spoon of multi generational farm land ownership. Most century farms around here consist of 100 acres with the bigger farms owned by foreign people acquiring Canadian citizenship and living here as a family unit, sharing large equipment, who are mostly European folks who sold for big money back home and turned that into much bigger land holdings in Canada

So:

Does white skin enter into the equation in any way???

By TimNew - July 22, 2019, 8:10 a.m.
Like Reply

The simple fact is that we all have advantages and disadvantages, strengths and weaknesses.  Further,  those that make the most of their strengths and advanatges generally do far better than those who focus on their disadvantages and weaknesses.

By carlberky - July 22, 2019, 9:39 a.m.
Like Reply

Everyone knows that farming means hard work and long hours. Most people, white or colored, don't like either. That's why most inventions are made to reduce hard work and long hours.