Anarchy in NY
12 responses | 0 likes
Started by GunterK - July 23, 2019, 9:01 p.m.

"....Stunning videos posted online Monday show uniformed NYPD cops getting drenched with buckets of water by brazen young men in Harlem and Brooklyn, law enforcement sources told The Post....."

Apparently, the police were ordered not to respond

https://nypost.com/2019/07/22/total-anarchy-nypd-cops-get-drenched-by-buckets-of-water/

The term "anarchy" may be a bit exaggerated... it's only water. Nevertheless, the disrespect for authority is astonishing. Today, it's only water. Next week, it will be something else

Congrats, Mr. Mayor. You are doing a fine job running your city

Comments
By metmike - July 23, 2019, 10:11 p.m.
Like Reply

Sad to see this.

Not sure how much worse this is from the past and what exactly is going on but the ability of people  to capture every incident from every place on the planet and post it seconds later on the internet for millions to see means we get to see stuff that would be unknown to anybody but people right there 25 years ago. 

By madmechanic - July 25, 2019, 4:14 p.m.
Like Reply

I agree that the disrespect for officers is appalling, and thank goodness it was only water.

This might be very short-sided of me, but when I hear about situations like this where a group takes it upon themselves to act out against law enforcement, my first thoughts are often, "If this is how they are going to treat our civil servants and protectors of peace, then they don't deserve the protection they offer. So the next time you are the victim of a crime, don't go reporting it to the police, you know, the same ones you threw water onto."

Again, perhaps very narrow minded of me. Regarding the official response from the police themselves, this is one of those "damned if you do, damned if you don't" scenarios. On the one hand, you don't want to condone or encourage this sort of behavior, so the first thought would be to start arresting people. But that would likely quickly escalate into another "oh my god, look at the police brutality! It was just water!" It doesn't matter that it was 'just water' it's the principle of the act. By doing nothing, it may be seen by the hoodlums that they can now get away with this behavior.

By TimNew - July 26, 2019, 6:18 a.m.
Like Reply

Giuliani became "America's Mayor" by dramatically reducing the crime rate in NYC.  He cracked down on all kinds of things, even graffiti, while strengthening the police force. 

https://www.nber.org/digest/jan03/w9061.html

"During the 1990s, crime rates in New York City dropped dramatically, even more than in the United States as a whole. Violent crime declined by more than 56 percent in the City, compared to about 28 percent in the nation as whole. Property crimes tumbled by about 65 percent, but fell only 26 percent nationally."

And NYC as a whole benefitted dramatically.  It became a much better place to live and do business.

And of course, liberals then began to ask the question "Why do we need such strength in the police force when crime is so much lower?"  Much like their question, "Why do we have so many people In prison when crime is dropping?"

So, the subsequent loss of support for police and prisons  was very predictable.

By WxFollower - July 26, 2019, 8:18 a.m.
Like Reply

Tim,

It disgusts me to no end how hateful numerous NE and other liberals are now toward Rudy for the reason you stated. You can’t be in favor of a strong and effective police force and not be evil in their eyes because they’re automatically considered racist. They make me sick.

The US is going downhill and I don’t have good feelings about prospects for more unity down the road. The two sides are too far apart and so hateful of each other. We have been, are, and very likely will continue to be two nations in one country.

By TimNew - July 26, 2019, 9:28 a.m.
Like Reply

I think the priorities of the two factions in this country have become so vastly different that it's entirely possible that we'll see some states secede in the next decade or so.

As long as the remaining states maintain vigilant border security,  I think the split would be short lived.

What a tragic and enlightening experiment that would be.

By WxFollower - July 26, 2019, 10:01 a.m.
Like Reply

Tim,

But which states would secede? Some red majority? Some blue majority? Some of both? Would it depend on which party has the Presidency? Which party has majority in the Senate? House?

By TimNew - July 26, 2019, 10:19 a.m.
Like Reply

There's a movement in California that appears to be gaining some traction.  Of course, the conservatives in the state want to create a new state and secede from Cali while remaining in the union.   I don't know if either will ever get enough momentum..   But with the divisiveness on both sides growing (with a lot of help from assorted pols),  we'll see.

There has also been talk in New York State,  but I don't think that will go anywhere.

Ultimately, I think the US is greater than the sum of it's parts and hope this never comes to pass...   But giving a state like California free reign to pursue their liberal ideology with unbridled abandon would be an education.

By mcfarm - July 26, 2019, 10:27 a.m.
Like Reply

hour after hour all we hear is "rule of law" and Trump is not above the rule of law and on and on. And yet these same people just happen to look the other way when 20 million illegals flood our country or they want our Police, sworn to protect, are ordered to stand down

By WxFollower - July 26, 2019, 10:29 a.m.
Like Reply

Tim,

If the Dems win the Presidency in 2020, do you think California would still want to secede? Also, do you still think the conservatives of Cal would still then want to stay in the Union?

By TimNew - July 26, 2019, 10:40 a.m.
Like Reply

Good question.   I think the occupant of the Whitehouse will influence that process for the California secession. I think the conservatives of California are fed up, regardless of whose in the Whitehouse.   If they can't get their own state,  they'll find (and are finding) other states.

By WxFollower - July 26, 2019, 11:09 a.m.
Like Reply

mcfarm said: “hour after hour all we hear is ‘rule of law’ and Trump is not above the rule of law and on and on. And yet these same people just happen to look the other way when 20 million illegals flood our country or they want our Police, sworn to protect, are ordered to stand down”

———————

mc, Obviously we have very different views about Trump and Mueller. But otherwise, I agree 100% with you about the hypocrisy on the left with regard to their insistence on Trump being abiding and how they are handling the illegal aliens issue as well as respect for the police as an institution. 

By mcfarm - July 26, 2019, 11:05 p.m.
Like Reply

wx, I truly believe that shortly with the IG's report and Barr's new investigation into the first early stages of the set up that many level headed people like your self will soon agree....this FBI was weaponized at the top levels to take Trump out. He was and is an outsider ruining the play ground of unelected bureaucrats. Also true that that the far left will never concede even after watching comey, clapper,brennan and company do perk walks