This day in history July 23, 2019-Detroit riots
4 responses | 0 likes
Started by metmike - July 25, 2019, 2:34 p.m.

Read about history and find a good one for us:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/July_23

On vacation at Barkley Lake, KY this week and falling behind again but not going to miss this one. The one just before this on the list is cut out for carl.

1967Detroit Riots: In Detroit, one of the worst riots in United States history begins on 12th Street in the predominantly African American inner city. It ultimately kills 43 people, injures 342 and burns about 1,400 buildings.

Comments
By metmike - July 25, 2019, 2:36 p.m.
Like Reply

1967 Detroit riot

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1967_Detroit_riot

"The 1967 Detroit riot, also known as the 1967 Detroit Rebellion or 12th Street riot was the bloodiest incident in the "Long, hot summer of 1967".[2] Composed mainly of confrontations between black residents and the Detroit Police Department, it began in the early morning hours of Sunday July 23, 1967, in Detroit, Michigan. The precipitating event was a police raid of an unlicensed, after-hours bar then known as a blind pig, on the city's Near West Side. It exploded into one of the deadliest and most destructive riots in American history, lasting five days and surpassing the violence and property destruction of Detroit's 1943 race riot 24 years earlier."

By metmike - July 25, 2019, 3:47 p.m.
Like Reply

At the time, we lived several miles from the riots(I was 11) and us kids were oblivious to any threat.

However, our Dad and the neighbor across the street were very concerned that they might spill west to our neighborhood.

We lived just across the Detroit border in a suburb, Dearborn(our old neighborhood is almost entirely Muslim today).

At the time, Dearborn had an outspoken, very racist mayor, Orville Hubbard who did not welcome blacks in the city of Dearborn.  My Dad(who grew up in the inner city of Detroit) felt that the blacks who were tearing up their own neighborhoods with the rioting as they vented, would soon cross the border and vent on the neighborhoods of the city with the racist mayor. 

In the morning, before heading to his job at the Rouge Plant as an industrial engineer for Ford,  he would drive down to the edge of the rioting, closest to our neighborhood and in the afternoon, Mr. Bobian would drive there to monitor any progress in our direction so that they could get their families out before the chaos got close to us.

It pretty much remained in the exact same area for the entire period.

By metmike - July 25, 2019, 3:53 p.m.
Like Reply

Orville L. Hubbard

Orville Liscum Hubbard (April 2, 1903 – December 16, 1982) was the mayor of Dearborn, Michigan for 36 years, from 1942 to 1978. Sometimes referred to as the "Dictator of Dearborn", Hubbard was the most outspoken segregationist north of the Mason-Dixon line.  During his administration, non-whites were aggressively discouraged from residing in Dearborn, and Hubbard's longstanding campaign to "Keep Dearborn Clean" was widely understood to mean "Keep Dearborn White."  Hubbard is also remembered as a political boss who delivered a wide range of city services to his constituents, including the construction of a 626-acre (253 ha) rustic camp outside the city and the purchase of an eight-story senior citizen tower in Florida, all for use by Dearborn residents.

Dearborn is the home of Ford Motor Company and they had many manufacturing plants including the "city within the city" Rouge plant. They paid incredible taxes to the city of Dearborn that allowed Hubbard to be able to afford all sorts of services that no other cities anywhere enjoyed.

When I was a kid, they actually had snow removal service for all the sidewalks in Dearborn and the street cleaners that cleaned the streets every week.

By metmike - July 25, 2019, 4:02 p.m.
Like Reply

My brother, 6 years younger and I had a favorite baseball player growing up. A home grown boy that  lived not far from where my Dad lived when he grew up 17 years earlier. 

Horton stood for peace in tough times for Detroit                                                        

Former Tigers great was proactive when riots broke out in 1967

https://www.mlb.com/news/willie-horton-stood-for-peace-in-detroit-c216171296