Interesting facts about evolution August 11, 2019
4 responses | 0 likes
Started by metmike - Aug. 11, 2019, 12:48 a.m.

Researchers are unsure if humans are still evolving or if they have reached their evolutionary peak.

One can make jokes about that one based on the absurd stuff going on in politics right now.

Mainstream climate science has clearly gone backwards the last 20 years after being hijacked for political reasons and misinformation used to make people dumber about it......but the word that describes that only ends the same way as evolution...........corruption both ending with tion (-:

Humans are still evolving—and we can watch it happen

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/05/humans-are-still-evolving-and-we-can-watch-it-happen

Two studies presented at the Biology of Genomes meeting here last week show how our genomes have changed over centuries or decades, charting how since Roman times the British have evolved to be taller and fairer, and how just in the last generation the effect of a gene that favors cigarette smoking has dwindled in some groups.

Comments
By metmike - Aug. 11, 2019, 1:19 a.m.
Like Reply

Which reminds me of Richard Lindzen's statements:

MIT Climate Scientist Dr. Richard Lindzen urges Trump: “Cut the funding of climate science by 80% to 90% until the field cleans up’

https://www.climatedepot.com/2016/12/30/mit-climate-scientist-dr-richard-lindzen-urges-trump-cut-the-funding-of-climate-science-by-80-to-90-until-the-field-cleans-up/

“Climate science has been set back two generations, and they have destroyed its intellectual foundations.”

'Groupthink has so corrupted the field that funding should be sharply curtailed rather than redirected.'

“Even in 1990 no one at MIT called themselves a ‘climate scientist,’ and then all of a sudden everyone was. They only entered it because of the bucks; they realized it was a gravy train. You have to get it back to the people who only care about the science.”

By carlberky - Aug. 11, 2019, 2:20 p.m.
Like Reply

On May 6 1954, at Iffley Road track in Oxford, Roger Bannister became the first man in recorded history to run a mile in under four minutes.

65 years later, Moroccan Hicham El Guerrouj is the current men's record holder with his time of 3:43.13.

Man has gotten taller, stronger and faster in a relatively short period ... but can we attribute it only to better training methods and nutrition ?

By metmike - Aug. 11, 2019, 7:34 p.m.
Like Reply

Great point Carl.

I say that genetics have changed. 

Look at your average NFL player today vs 50 years ago, especially lineman.

High school football lineman weigh 25 lbs more than they did when I played football almost 50 years ago.

I would call that evolution. What do you think?

By metmike - Aug. 11, 2019, 7:38 p.m.
Like Reply

Here is an interesting article that points to specialization as one of the reasons(but in 1980 or prior, 300 lb guys that were also lightning fast did not exist or they would have been superstars)

One GIF That Shows How NFL Players Are Exploding In Size

https://www.businessinsider.com/nfl-player-size-over-time-2014-7