McDonald's plant burgers
2 responses | 0 likes
Started by metmike - Sept. 26, 2019, 5:26 p.m.

McDonald’s Takes Tepid Step Towards Plant-Based Burger With Beyond Meat Test In Canada

https://www.forbes.com/sites/janetforgrieve/2019/09/26/mcdonalds-picks-beyond-meat-for-plant-based-burger-test-in-canada/#1e465cc3a422

The P.L.T., or Plant, Lettuce and Tomato sandwich, will be topped with cheddar cheese, according to the company’s announcement Thursday, and the chain is alerting customers that the burger won’t be technically vegan, even without the cheese, because it will be cooked on the same grill as meat.

But to author and vegan wellness activist Kathy Freston, who launched an online petition five years ago and has been urging the chain ever since to add a plant-based burger to the menu, Thursday’s announcement was a sign of growing change.

Comments
By wglassfo - Sept. 26, 2019, 6:58 p.m.
Like Reply

I can tell you if I want a fast food burger, I will not be ordering a plant food burger

But: I can also tell you members  of my family will order a plant food burger, if the price is right. In other words cheaper. 

I am almost positive this will be a niche market. Given some of the same kitchen working space will be used for all kinds of burgers, there won't be much risk if a small amount is sold

I would think keeping ingredients fresh would be the biggest expense and how much waste from over time limits for safe consumption

The freezer is the one thing that plants can't use where burgers can stay frozen for an acceptable time and still taste fresh when placed on the counter for the customer

And yet subway seems to have the ability to keep veggies fresh, so maybe a niche market will work

Did you know Ice lettuce has no nutrient value which makes a great filler for any who want to watch calories and yet munch on some thing, that looks to be a great big some thing

By metmike - Sept. 26, 2019, 9 p.m.
Like Reply

Thanks Wayne!

Not promoting iceberg lettuce. Just posting information:

What Is Iceberg Lettuce Good For?

https://foodfacts.mercola.com/iceberg-lettuce.html

• According to Taste.com.au, you would  know that a lettuce is fresh when its leaves are firm and it is dense.
  •     
  • It must not have excess outer leaves  and discolored spots that may indicate decay.
  •     
  • It should be pale green in color,  unlike other lettuce varieties that have darker hues.
  •     
  • Avoid buying prewashed or  triple-washed bagged lettuce. A 2005 study proved that these kinds undergo  chlorine washes and are linked with E. coli bacteria contamination.

It would be better to buy from local stores rather than supermarkets not  only to reduce your transport time but also to hinder the growth of bacteria  over time. You may also consider growing your own lettuce plants to save time  and energy, and to ensure its freshness and safety. Read further to know how to  grow your own iceberg lettuce plants.