another factor for big truck orders
3 responses | 1 like
Started by bear - Oct. 7, 2019, 12:14 p.m.

here is another factor for big truck orders.

there is a state law that is kicking in next year for california.  old trucks will no longer be allowed to operate in the state.  so that means anyone who drives into california, needs to buy a newer truck.  if you are not compliant, then they will not let you into the state.

my friend who hauls our bees into california had to buy a newer truck this year.  

i have no clue how much this has effected the truck sales market over the last year.  

so my buddies old truck (1984 international) would no longer be allowed into CA.  his newer 2017 truck will be ok.

so this is unclear... the jump in truck orders the last couple years.  how much was due to more freight, vs how much is due to this law change in CA.  the law change is a one time blip that has probably played out already.  

Comments
By metmike - Oct. 7, 2019, 12:53 p.m.
Like Reply

Thanks bear!

It's my understanding that older trucks are still allowed but they must meet stricter compliance levels.

Maybe the ones with older trucks are just better off buying new ones because the cost of an entirely new exhaust/catalytic converter system(maybe that means an entirely new engine?) would be more than the older truck is even worth.

Is this correct?

CARB to begin blocking certain trucks’ DMV registrations in 2020

https://www.ccjdigital.com/carb-to-begin-blocking-certain-trucks-dmv-registrations-in-2020/                                                                                                             

Carriers domiciled in California with trucks older than 2011 model, or using engines manufactured before 2010, will need to meet the Board’s new Truck and Bus Regulation beginning in 2020 or their vehicles will be blocked from registration with the state’s DMV, the state has said.

The new “health-based requirements” will need to be met before a driver is allowed to register his or her truck through the Department of Motor Vehicles, CARB says. A new enforcement tool used by the DMV beginning in 2020 will automatically block 2010 and older trucks from registration.

For older vehicles, CARB says they must be either replaced with a 2011 or newer vehicle or repowered with a 2010 or newer engine.

Under these regulations, truckers must meet the following compliance schedule for vehicles weighing more than 26,000 pounds:

• 2000 and older trucks must comply by Jan. 1, 2020
  • 2001-2005 must comply by Jan. 1, 2021
  • 2006-2007 must comply by Jan. 1, 2022
  • 2008-2010 must comply by Jan. 1, 2023
By bear - Oct. 8, 2019, 11:34 a.m.
Like Reply

my buddy may have been wrong,  but he was told that they would not even let him drive into the state with his 1984 truck.  

btw , his 1984 truck is more dependable than his 2009 truck.  fewer things to go wrong. fewer sensors, fewer electronics.   (fewer trips into the shop for repairs). 

i had an 82 international, with a DT466, and a stick shift.  fabulous truck. good workhorse. very dependable.  easy to work on. lasted a very long time.  

By wglassfo - Oct. 8, 2019, 8:16 p.m.
Like Reply

It seems according to what I read in this post, all engines must have that cursed DEF  which was 1st used  for all heavy duty diesel engines about the time in that chart  [Sorry I can't remember the yr]

Def is actually a liquid urea mixture used with diesel fuel to cut down emission pollutants

All our diesel engines use DEF except for one older truck. It is a pain as we need two fuel tanks plus all equipment has two fuel tanks to keep full. And lordy help you if you run out of DEF. An expensive trip from the repair man to re-program your engine computer, plus the engine will stop very soon

MM is correct. The expense to make the change is more than the truck is worth, considering age and higher repairs due to higher miles on older commercial trucks that run close to 100,000 miles/yr 

A million miles is about as far as you get with a commercial highway truck, and that usually includes one in frame engine over haul . Some trade much sooner