Has anyone else noticed....
6 responses | 0 likes
Started by MarkB - Oct. 17, 2019, 1:07 a.m.

that T-notes have been following gold recently? Take a look.

Comments
By metmike - Oct. 17, 2019, 1:13 a.m.
Like Reply

Great to read you Mark!

That's a great point. 

Do you have theory/explanation?

By joj - Oct. 17, 2019, 9:03 a.m.
Like Reply

Recently?  

Been going on for years now.

If you can't make interest return on your money you might as well stuff it in the mattress.  Or buy gold.

Can interest rates go even lower?  Can they go negative?

By MarkB - Oct. 17, 2019, 9:56 a.m.
Like Reply

No. I don't have any real explanation for it. Just recently noticed it when switching back and forth between the two. Live and learn.

By wglassfo - Oct. 17, 2019, 11:57 a.m.
Like Reply

Another thing that puzzles me and every where else I read

The repo market which I don't understand and wish I did

The repo market has been getting a lot of ink for some time now

Seems the banks refuse to lend to each other

So: The latest from the Fed is they may be forced to set up a repo facility

Now what do the banks know that we don't???

Also:

The Fed is increasing it's balance sheet

But it isn't QE4

If it isn't QE4 with some 100 bn to start with

What the heck is it

Will we be adding a new word to the English language to explain what the Fed is doing???

Or just the same words as in printing fiat which we can all understand

And to top it off

I will be the 1st to say, on this forum, the Fed will lower int rates further this yr. Not sure when but soon. I am just repeating what the market expects from the Fed

All new loans on our farm are floating int rates, but no longer than 5 yrs. In most cases we pay them off in 5 yrs or less except land which takes forever. However, we do make additional land payments when crops are good. Some people buy machinery. It is a delicate balancing act between machinery and land payments. Some times you just have to buy bigger equipment if your land base expands

We don't mind paying a fair wage for hired help and running equipment in two shifts but find out that late nite operations lead to machinery damage which takes precious time to fix and expensive, so we have gone the route of bigger equipment and doing as much as possible our selves. We have had to sell two good tractors just because they were too small and the one  bigger tractor we bought to replace the two smaller tractors  had a bunch of little things to fix.

Thus int rates are as important to us as corn yield and price as it all goes to the bottom line.

Hope to be starting corn later today or tomorrow, as soon as the recent rain/wet soil effects goes away and soil is drier. Got lots of catch up work to do will the soil dries out. Could not buy a rain in Sept.

Only one person has started corn as moisture is still very high but we have some early planted corn to get started on that should be dry enough. Calendar says go time if we want to get the work done.

By qsteak - Oct. 17, 2019, 12:24 p.m.
Like Reply

Thanks Wayne, as a city slicker, I always appreciate your comments on what you and your fellow farmers are watching.

By bear - Oct. 17, 2019, 1:49 p.m.
Like Reply

gold and the buck have trended up together also. 

general flight to safety, since there is no growth/ more risk  elsewhere around the globe.