mcfarm -- update on our harvest
2 responses | 0 likes
Started by wglassfo - Oct. 18, 2019, 1:23 a.m.

We have 100 acres of custom beans left to do. Customer thinks the field has some green spots which is true and he doesn't want the dock. They are his beans so he calls the shots

Yesterday was spent getting ready for corn. All the last minute stuff that can't be done ahead such as digging out the corn head from the shed, switching down pipes to different holes in the leg head, shutting off the bean pipe. You know what that is like

So we started corn this afternoon. We have three monitors to dial in, two on the combine and one on the grain buggy. So we were doing part rows and filling the coop weigh wagon trying to get dialed in. Close enough to say we did something, but no cigar. We think the combine monitor is a couple points of moisture too low and the weight is 6 bu high. No idea about the grain buggy but that sure takes a bunch of time. We go and weigh truck loads at the coop scale to get a larger weight sample than the weigh buggy which holds things up until we get a truck back. The other truck is always full and then we wait

Well: This corn had no rain in Sept and the plant literally died prematurely. At the ethanol plant folks said any corn that died early was less yield this yr.

We did head lands, under trees, fence rows etc today plus some part rows. The part rows were for the weigh buggy.

Our yield on this field, so far, is approx 20 bu less than last yr [which is sort of what we expected]. Don't know if the later corn that stayed greener, or the rest of the field will yield more or not. Seems as if the better ground suffered from to much moisture. Moisture is 22% which is dry for us. We are one of the few doing corn, although some have started.. No idea why folks are waiting because we always dry corn around these parts. We usually start at 26% and then corn dries down as harvest progresses to about 20% at end of harvest. We might have started sooner but corn and beans all came on together and rain was coming so we did all the beans except that one field. Corn seems to be drying fast the last few days after the frost.

I was not expecting a big yield this yr due to late planting and no rain.

I was hoping for enough money to pay down my tile loan a bit faster than we set it up for, [10 yr loan] but what ever we have will go into the tile loan.

No new vechicles until the tile are paid for, unless another deer hits us this fall

Do you have problems with deer in rutting season???. When they decide to run, nothing is in their head except that female maybe two miles away. I have seen them jump over the hood of my car/truck. Usually they end up in the wind shield, bleeding all over the dash and upholstery, but that only happened once to my father-in-laws car. Me, my car got smashed all down one side and another car got totalled. I had a semi truck and wrecked my front fender, which took many bungee cords to hold it together until I got home.

I wish they would issue more tags for hunters but the game warden says we have to keep the wild life, well populated. Packs of coyotees are moving in, so maybe they will thin the herd a bit

Anyway just an update on early corn harvest. We were surprised at the low moisture. My brother - in-law has a bumper crop of corn. Best ever.

Comments
By metmike - Oct. 18, 2019, 11:14 a.m.
Like Reply

Thanks Wayne!

Does that mean less drying cost for you?

On the deer, I totaled a new rental car early last Christmas morning in Colorado. 

The population around here is huge.

By metmike - Oct. 18, 2019, 11:16 a.m.
Like Reply

Deer Population            

Started by metmike - Sept. 25, 2019, 11:20 p.m.            

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/39774/