What causes the sky to be blue?
8 responses | 1 like
Started by metmike - June 5, 2018, 4:35 p.m.

I'm taking guesses for the next 24 hours.............but thanks to the internet, we are all geniuses that know everything about everything   

The answer(my explanation) tomorrow after the markets close.

I'm trying to inject interest in some of the millions of other fascinating things in our awesome world, outside of politics. 

Political posts and disagreements will always be allowed here but over the past decade, they have harbored a great deal of negativity and at times, hateful, venom spewing verbiage that is often directed in ways that some can't help but take personally.

If we erased the political belief system disparities in the minds of everybody that has been making NTR posts, the NTR atmosphere would be completely different..........in a good way. 

There would not be 2 sides...........like what defines our country right now. 

I can't change the politics but I can provide opportunities for everybody to share interesting information that has no political affiliation.  

As a scientist, environmentalist,  gardener, chess coach, teacher, husband, father, son, tv meteorologist, trader, Detroit native, Catholic/Christian, piano player and so on there are tons of unique things that I can share,  just like everybody reading this has equally unique things about them.

Nobody knows everything and everybody knows something!

Please join me in sharing part of what you think is interesting or is a part of your life vs repeating the same political banter. Trust me on this. You will get more people to actually pay attention and learn a bit vs just repeating the same worn out political narratives. 

CNN and FOX news are driven by ratings, so they broadcast politically biased stuff and sensationalize in order to get as many people with similar belief systems to watch. 

MarketForum is also driven by how much traffic comes here but this moderator is going to try something different to attract you. 

Comments
By TimNew - June 6, 2018, 3:59 a.m.
Like Reply

I think I used to know the answer to this,  but it slips my mind..  and I think relying on google or other search tool would be akin to cheating.

So,  I'll say B.B. King.

By metmike - June 6, 2018, 10:58 a.m.
Like Reply

Good one Tim!

Here is a picture of BB King making the sky blue   

By silverspiker - June 6, 2018, 2:47 p.m.
Like Reply
By metmike - June 6, 2018, 6:12 p.m.
Like Reply

Thanks for the responses. 

Please stop shouting silverspiker.

I remember the day that I learned the mathematical equations at the University of Michigan which represented the physical processes which cause the sky to be blue. 

The reason being, it was the first time that years of math actually had a real world application that I could connect so strongly with. 

Rayleigh scattering applies to the case when the scattering particle is very small (x ≪ 1, with a particle size < 1 /10 wavelength[4]) and the whole surface re-radiates with the same phase. Because the particles are randomly positioned, the scattered light arrives at a particular point with a random collection of phases; it is incoherent and the resulting intensity is just the sum of the squares of the amplitudes from each particle and therefore proportional to the inverse fourth power of the wavelength and the sixth power of its size.[3][5] In detail, the intensity I of light scattered by any one of the small spheres of diameter d and refractive index n from a beam of unpolarized light of wavelength λ and intensity I0 is given by

{\displaystyle I=I_{0}{\frac {1+\cos ^{2}\theta }{2R^{2}}}\left({\frac {2\pi }{\lambda }}\right)^{4}\left({\frac {n^{2}-1}{n^{2}+2}}\right)^{2}\left({\frac {d}{2}}\right)^{6}}[6]

where R is the distance to the particle and θ is the scattering angle. Averaging this over all angles gives the Rayleigh scattering cross-section[7]

{\displaystyle \sigma _{\text{s}}={\frac {2\pi ^{5}}{3}}{\frac {d^{6}}{\lambda ^{4}}}\left({\frac {n^{2}-1}{n^{2}+2}}\right)^{2}}[8]

The fraction of light scattered by a group of scattering particles is the number of particles per unit volume N times the cross-section. For example, the major constituent of the atmosphere, nitrogen, has a Rayleigh cross section of 5.1×10−31 m2 at a wavelength of 532 nm (green light).[9] This means that at atmospheric pressure, where there are about 2×1025 molecules per cubic meter, about a fraction 10−5 of the light will be scattered for every meter of travel.

The strong wavelength dependence of the scattering (~λ−4) means that shorter (blue) wavelengths are scattered more strongly than longer (red) wavelengths.

Ha Ha, find the answer in English next (-:

By metmike - June 6, 2018, 6:25 p.m.
Like Reply

The sky is blue for 3 main reasons.

1. White light from the sun enters the atmosphere with all colors in the visible light spectrum.

2. The size of the particles in our atmosphere, mainly Nitrogen are just the right size, so that they  break up the different wave lengths in that white  light and scatter them out separately in the sky. Much, much  more of the shorter wave lengths are scattered than the longer ones. Blue is a short wave length, red is the longest in the visible spectrum.

3. The human eye is only capable of seeing light/electromagnetic radiation in the visible spectrum..............thats why its called the visible spectrum! We can't see ultraviolet light or microwaves for instance. The human eye can only see the color in the visible spectrum that is being scattered the most(is dominant) even when other colors are being scattered but not as much. Since there is much more blue being scattered, that's the only color that we see in the sky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pnk50rhDfs

Learn and apply this and you will be able to correctly answer a future, related  metmike mystery question/thread/post.....Why are sunsets red?

By GunterK - June 7, 2018, 12:57 p.m.
Like Reply

visiting the NTR (for some people the NeverTRump) section of the forum, I came across this fascinating article about light scattering, and the following equation...

{\displaystyle I=I_{0}{\frac {1+\cos ^{2}\theta }{2R^{2}}}\left({\frac {2\pi }{\lambda }}\right)^{4}\left({\frac {n^{2}-1}{n^{2}+2}}\right)^{2}\left({\frac {d}{2}}\right)^{6}}[6]

and I started wondering.....

if one took the items from a recent post about a checklist for Trump being a dictator, and gave each of the items on that list a rating, and substituted these numbers into the above equation, could one then calculate if we are heading towards a dictatorship, or if America is being made great again.

ooops.... smoke is coming out of my calculator

By TimNew - June 7, 2018, 1:22 p.m.
Like Reply

Are we still doing "Post of the Week"?     This one gets my vote  :-)

By metmike - June 7, 2018, 5:41 p.m.
Like Reply

Feast your eyes on post of the week:             

https://www.marketforum.com/library/

By GunterK - June 7, 2018, 12:57 p.m.            

"visiting the NTR (for some people the NeverTRump) section of the forum, I came across this fascinating article about light scattering, and the following equation...

and I started wondering.....

if one took the items from a recent post about a checklist for Trump being a dictator, and gave each of the items on that list a rating, and substituted these numbers into the above equation, could one then calculate if we are heading towards a dictatorship, or if America is being made great again.

ooops.... smoke is coming out of my calculator"