How to make the world a better place, January 31, 2020
4 responses | 0 likes
Started by metmike - Jan. 30, 2020, 11:42 p.m.

Smile and say hello to everyone you pass on the street!

Comments
By bear - Feb. 2, 2020, 9:57 p.m.
Like Reply

sounds wonderful.  i've done this many times.   

By 7475 - Feb. 2, 2020, 11:09 p.m.
Like Reply

mm,

Im glad you posted this one-I have personal experience along this line.

Im from rural New Jersey and attended college in rural South Carolina in the late sixties.

Actually my experience throughout all the South I became familiar with and generally most rural areas is that a friendly recognition of another ,in some form,as you would ,say,pass them on a city/town street is appropriate and customary.

And for that matter,often a nod to the driver of a vehicle on a country road as you passed was common-you know,the 'ole farmers wave.

Trying that when visiting back home in some of the more"metro" areas generated a response from those greeted

as tho I had 3 eyes or something. I still do it.

I think responses have  gotten" better" or maybe I just dont notice or care much what they do?!

Just thinking out loud.

John

By metmike - Feb. 3, 2020, 1:10 a.m.
Like Reply

Love the great comments!

I grew up in Detroit where strangers are not always friendly and don't always know how to respond to a friendly stranger.

Moved down here to a more rural setting, a bit farther south in S.Indiana, along the KY border in 1982.

Big difference like you noted John.  One of them was more respectful people when driving.

Back home, when at a red light, if it turned green and you did not go right away.............lots of horns honking from impatient drivers.

Here farther south, the green could be half way to turning back red again before others might honk their horn it seemed. 

Much friendlier atmosphere in general. Southern hospitality it seems and we aren't that far south. 

By metmike - Feb. 3, 2020, 1:11 a.m.
Like Reply

This one suggestion is actually something that every person on the planet can do to help brighten up another persons day...........if only for an instant or two.