Saving Our Monarch Butterflies
1 response | 0 likes
Started by metmike - Jan. 31, 2020, 12:48 a.m.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2020/01/30/saving-our-monarch-butterflies-part-1/?unapproved=2906134&moderation-hash=1dfb158dae9b9b9002408204c60f682b#comment-2906134

Saving Our Monarch Butterflies, part 1

/ 12 hours ago January 30, 2020

Guest post by Jim Steele

clip_image002

clip_image004

In January 2002, a winter storm brought cold rains followed by clear skies. Without the clouds’ greenhouse effect, clear skies allowed temperatures to plummet to 23°F (- 4°C). Still damp, millions of butterflies simply froze in place. Many millions more fell to the ground creating an eerie carpet of dead and dying butterflies several inches deep. Altogether, 500 million butterflies died that winter, killing 80% of the entire eastern population. That the survival of the entire eastern monarch population could hinge on conditions affecting such a small area became a huge concern.

Comments
By wglassfo - Jan. 31, 2020, 4:09 p.m.
Like Reply

Hi Mike

Due to a weak signal, in this location I could not open any of your links

However on  to  the Monarch Butterfly

I was expecting to see lots of butterflies on the Hawaiian Islands

However, to date I have seen exactly one

Not that I was actively seeking out any natural birds and insects etc. I was surprised. So I looked up the reason for a lack of butterflies given the climate etc.

It seems the butterfly was introduced to Hawaii, but  the birds found the larva easy prey. Given a lack of numbers I guess that is why I don't see any butterflies

Too bad as we don't really want any species of birds plants or animals to become extinct