is "herd immunity" kicking in?
2 responses | 0 likes
Started by GunterK - April 10, 2020, 7:22 p.m.

a study in a small town in Germany found out that 15% of the population has already been infected and now carry antibodies in their blood.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8206831/Europe-close-herd-immunity-coronavirus-ALREADY.html

makes me wonder... how many of us are walking around, totally unaware of being infected, yet not being bothered by it.

Comments
By metmike - April 10, 2020, 9:38 p.m.
Like Reply

Good point. We should all be tested like this to see who doesn’t need to worry or to have restrictions of any type.

By wglassfo - April 11, 2020, 10:37 a.m.
Like Reply

Intersting observation by medical people who study this kind of thing

It has to be obvious there are several people who were infected but either did not know or just suffered mild symptoms and did not seek medical help. In some countries medical help was lacking so you either lived or died.  Any kind of reporting just did not happen

That we might have developed some knd of herd immunity seems very possible

We may have future waves of infection or re-infection of the same person

So much is unknown

One thing I do know is the world can not stay locked down for much longer. At some time we just have to take our chances

We are in a depression now, as no commerce is happening to any degree

Food banks are getting more and more requests for food. That is one metric which is visible and tells a story all by itself

Can we recover quickly or will a slow recovery last a long time

Will social unrest be a problem if unemployment is high, food is scarce or criminals just take advantage of a lack of police response to petty crime

In some places police won't even respond to a home burglary or invasion, or charge the invaders, as some counties don't want people locked up in jail, for petty crimes. 

Our small town is sold out of ammunition. You have much the same situation with gun sales and ammunition spiking

We have to open up commerce or things will go down hill in a hurry

Herd immunity or not, we will have to take our chances

MM prediction that the panic will subside does not seem to be happening as long as we live with DR. Fauci and people like him, on the TV daily

He has not been very accurate in his predictions so far. Very soon,  will be the proper time to ignore Dr Fauci

We can't let people like myself [high risk] stop people from working

I'm going to die some day any way, so if it is sooner, then so be it.

If there is herd immunity, then let the younger, productive people do their job.

Us old codgers are not contributing much to the economy, so tell us to stand aside