Total spying on all your activities-- good or bad???
3 responses | 0 likes
Started by wglassfo - April 17, 2020, 2:53 a.m.

The city of Baltimore will implement a system of drones that will cover approx 90% of the land mass of the city at any one time. Amazing what modern tech can do

These drones will be equpped with high resolution cameras with night vision capabilities

The city 1st declared a system of drone survielance would spot anybody not in compliance with social distancing

Later after some questions the BPD said the data would be stored in a secure area for 45 days and then destroyed. Further questioning revealed that the BPD would use this new tool to investigate crimes committed and would be kept for longer than 45 days if the camera revealed a crime had taken place and would be used as another tool for criminal activity

So there you have it. A virtual police person following you at all times. It's called a force multiplier

You may ask, what is so wrong if I am not doing any thing wrong

Well: What if you have a privacy fence built around your back yard which may or may not contain a pool. You may want to get some sunshine in the all to gether state of undress. Will these images find there way onto social media, by mistake of coarse. Once an image is in the virtual cloud it stays there forever

Maybe you have a back yard get to gether with alcohol present on the premises. After dark your under age children offer some soda pop with alcohol, as a sort of treat to their friends or what ever may happen. Your premises are on tape and then the jig is up. You supplied alcohol to a minor or group of minors.  Not good, even if nothing bad happened and you were not even aware what had happened. Do you keep all alcohol under lock and key when your friends visit with the whole family???

How many times have we done some thing illegal but no harm no foul as you were not caught

On the other hand we have licience plates on our vechicles to aid in tracing and identification of the owner. We have our residence number posted on our home to aid in a search for where you live and other things

Baltimore has the highest crime rate in the entire world. Hard to believe, but maybe that is reported crimes, I don't know. Would drones in the sky make Baltimore a safer city. I know when I was trucking it was not a good idea to arrive at the locked gates of a plant, during the night and then sleep until the gates opened the next morning. You tried to time your arrival when the gates were open and you could drive in to the guard shack. I have seen night guards wearing huge pistols on a low slung gun belt, old western style. Those guards would shoot 1st, ask questions later, so you had to approach with caution and under the lights. Baltimore was not any bodies favorite destination, even back in the day when I drove a truck. One night I arrived early and had regular police patrols, to protect me as much as possible. I was not comfortable, in my truck, even though I carried protection, but it was what it was, that night. A locked truck was no barrier as back then you could get master keys for most any door lock on the truck

Don't know if I would have felt any better with a drone with night vision. A person can avoid detection by use of various clothing cover up, ski mask, large hat etc. I often carried loads worth 250,000 so the temptation would be huge. Today how much would that same load be worth???

What do you think

Comments
By metmike - April 17, 2020, 7:38 a.m.
Like Reply

Thanks Wayne,it’s past 2am so I’ll comment more tomorrow but understand your points well.

Was sort of chuckling about the wearing of a ski mask. Now a days everyone wears a mask and you can’t tell a thief from a good person!

By cutworm - April 17, 2020, 8:25 a.m.
Like Reply

It is a slippery slope. 1984 is arriving. Even going to church can be deemed illegal. NOT GOOD. Being watched is NOT freedom JMHO

By TimNew - April 17, 2020, 11:09 a.m.
Like Reply

That silly 4th amendment.  If we can just get rid of that along with the 1st and 2nd amendment, this country will run a lot more smoothly.  Probably that 5th as well. Aww heck, that whole bill of rights is antiquated written by a bunch of rich old white guys.  What did they know about the challenges we face today, am I right?