Suburbia fights back
2 responses | 0 likes
Started by wglassfo - June 3, 2020, 5:10 p.m.

I see some suburbia areas in CA. are patrolling the streets and fighting back against looters

And the home and business owners are winning the battle

Congrats to those who protect their neighbourhood

Comments
By metmike - June 4, 2020, 12:21 a.m.
Like Reply

And in Chicago

‘I believe there’s definitely going to be a change’: Anti-racism protests in western suburbs bring reflections on privilege, optimism for a better future

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/breaking/ct-george-floyd-aftermath-suburban-rallies-20200604-pyfqktwrpzda3b766ognjewlpy-story.html

Demonstrations against racial injustice continued in Chicago’s western suburbs Wednesday, as large crowds gathered in Batavia and Wheaton to protest racism and envision a better future.

A crowd estimated to be as large as 1,500 filled the Batavia Riverwalk park as organizers spoke and sang from a covered porch serving as a stage.

Among those speaking was Devin Couturier, who addressed the concept of her white privilege. She told the mostly white crowd the movement “isn’t about us, but it exists because of us, because black people have been fighting for justice for hundreds of years. … Being not racist is not enough.”

“If you’re more outraged by a Target being looted but not outraged by a target put on black people’s back in America, then you are part of the problem,” she said to a roar.

Other speakers stressed the need to better listen to the concerns of the Black Lives Matter movement, and to get involved.

State Rep. Karina Villa, D-Batavia, said: “You are the boss of me. And if you’re not calling me to tell me that you’re mad, there’s something wrong.”

Among the hundreds in the park was Maya Tubic, who emigrated from Croatia in 1995 and has lived in Batavia for five years. She brought her 10-year-old son and friends, after a heated debate on Facebook with others who questioned the point and complained it could invite problems.

She said it was important “just to stand up and speak with these people and break the silence, the inactivity.”

Helping to lead the event was Isabella Irish, an 18-year-old recent high school graduate who implored the crowd to leave peacefully but with resolve.

“You keep saying it’s horrible that innocent blacks were killed but destroying property has to stop,” she said. “Try saying it’s horrible that property is being destroyed but killing innocent black men has to stop. We must stop prioritizing the wrong parts.”

By metmike - June 4, 2020, 12:24 a.m.
Like Reply

George Floyd protests live updates: Obama sees ‘incredible opportunity’ amid recent tragedy

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/George-Floyd-Protests-live-updates-Oakland-quiet-15305914.php#photo-19497720