Can somebody explain your system
3 responses | 0 likes
Started by wglassfo - June 24, 2020, 6:26 p.m.

It seems as if congress is always having a hearing or what ever you call it

During the process members of the hearing seem to be limited to 5 minutes of questions

Now I can appreciate the need for some limits to a person using up valuable time with nonsense

However, if I wanted a complete understanding, I might need more than 5 minutes. In fact, what if I need 15 minutes to get a clear understanding of all aspects for and against what ever

At present silicone valley is being questioned

I don't have a grasp of the relative question re: google and others

If I was a member of the group or committee would 5 minutes be enough. I know members give and take time from each other, but this seems to be a rather odd way to find out information needed for a decision

I watched lawyers question Hillary re: Bengazia and they had 5 minutes which seemed rather short for a full understanding

Another example:

How much time is used to understand the military budget, by each member of the committee

5 minutes???

I think I could throw darts and find out the same info--essentially nothing of importance

The LA city council used many hrs of debate to decide police funding. Maybe the members were a bit tired at the end, but it seems to me at least the question got a complete hearing and decisions were made with full knowledge about the question

This seems much better decision making, If it takes some time, so be it. Some questions need ample time to make an informed decision

How much time does the military budget, in congress, have for questions??

Comments
By metmike - June 24, 2020, 7:14 p.m.
Like Reply

Good question Wayne!

By wglassfo - June 25, 2020, 12:07 p.m.
Like Reply

So: Is the answer:

Nobody knows or nobody cares enough to know

We have a question period and any serious matter is discussed by select members on each committee and a leader appointed by the prime minister and then the consensus is brought before parliament

Committes usually have provisions for public comment

There is somebody appointed by the prime minister to over see every part of the economy, recreation, parks, FDA etc. The person appointed may seek public or private comment, but does not have to follow the wishes of anybody. If the appointed person causes a problem for the prime minister, usually by public opinion, then another is usually appointed

The only limit to debate/comment is the patience of the appointed person.

All spending bills must come before parliament for debate

By metmike - June 25, 2020, 12:25 p.m.
Like Reply

Wayne,

I don't know but can try to research it for you later if I get a chance.