Biden--Trump debate
18 responses | 0 likes
Started by wglassfo - July 21, 2020, 11:22 p.m.

Do you think Biden --Trump   will debate each other

Comments
By WxFollower - July 22, 2020, 12:26 a.m.
Like Reply

It won’t matter as it won’t bring Trump back imo. He's all but done now. The heavy lady is rehearsing at the mic.

If I were Biden, I'd be tempted to not debate Trump because he just about already has a walk-in victory in the cards.

By metmike - July 22, 2020, 2:57 a.m.
Like Reply

Agree with Larry.

If Biden ducks the debates it will make him look even weaker.....and he is already incredibly weak and not likely up for the job for 4 years.

However, most people will see this on the ballet:

1. Donald j trump

2. Whoever is not donald j trump

By bear - July 22, 2020, 2:58 p.m.
Like Reply

my preference is still libertarian.  

go jo jo 

By pj - July 22, 2020, 3:22 p.m.
Like Reply
By metmike - July 22, 2020, 4:57 p.m.
Like Reply

Thanks pj, 

I saw that earlier this month.

I get trying to use tactics against an opponent to put yourself in a better position but to me, Biden's place like any candidate in a debate is to present his platform to the American people and defend it against his opponents platform/agenda.

To convince people why his agenda is better and he is a superior leader.

It appears as if this author/article is more of a slam against Trump(to me) in pointing out that Trump has failed to produce his tax records. It's not BIdens job to get him  do this.  If Trump renegs on something he promised, it not Bidens job make him do it........but he should, however use the fact that he didn't do it in the debate.......might even be a stronger point that way. It's the job of the Supreme Court and others...............which in fact has recently ruled against Trump.

In the debate, this is a strong point for Biden to use........telling us that he released all of his records, Trump refused to release his. 

On the fact checking, this for sure is a meant as a  slam against Trump by the author. He wants us to think that Trump will be taking advantage of the situation with his fake facts and be able to fool people because he isn't immediately corrected. Trump will probably say a ton of false things, more than Biden, which is what this guy wants us to know. 

Where has this guy been?  We've been doing live fact checking for awhile now and any debate forum like this should and WILL do it to the best of their ability, regardless of whether Biden demands it to bust Trump's lies. 

After the debate, the media will have a field day with more thorough fact checking...........like it always does. 

Live Fact Checking: October Democratic Debate     

https://www.mtpr.org/post/live-fact-checking-october-democratic-debate

By metmike - July 22, 2020, 5:14 p.m.
Like Reply

Regardless, Biden is in a position where he can dictate some terms because his lead is so massive.

The person ahead usually has the most to lose in a debate, so one would think he would at the very least, limit the amount of debating.

If I were Biden, I'm not sure what I would do because I'm not Biden.

It all boils down to how competent Biden and his handlers think Biden is.  If they feel that he can hold his own the majority of time, it could demolish the narrative that the Trump side will be selling ahead of the election...........that Bidens cerebral functions have deteriorated so much that he is not qualified.

If they think Biden might make half a dozen big gaffs, it could add fuel to the unqualified Biden narrative, with his gaffs getting repeated during negative advertising(attacks).

Only they really know and Joe is capable, on a good day of getting it together and holding his own. So I think that it would make no sense for them to have numerous debates. 

No debates? 

This could backfire badly. It would solidify the case that Biden is not capable. Name another time in history that debates were cancelled because one guy was 10 points or any amount of points ahead and decided not to debate?

It would only happen for the first time in history because Biden was not capable of a solid presentation to make his case to be president.

If that turned out to be true, then how can a person that can't hold their own in a one on one debate discussing what he knows best, possibly be able to do the 100 times tougher job of being president?

By mcfarm - July 22, 2020, 6:07 p.m.
Like Reply

so how competent is Biden. Have any of you not seen any of Biden's public appearances;. My God, judging by them he could not win dog catcher. Just get a look at his latest on Joy Reed's farce of a show.  There he is roaming thru his notes after asked a rehearsed question as he stammers and stutters thru more stuff that would even his own mother red faced.

By metmike - July 22, 2020, 8:16 p.m.
Like Reply

Personally, I feel that he's not competent to do the job............and so others will be playing a much stronger role making decisions and doing things that a president usually does. 

Joe can't control his genetics/mental acuity, so I am not blaming him for doing his best with what's left in him. When he makes big gaffs, he doesn't do it on purpose.

It's purposefully projected ideas that he should be judged the most on.

On that score, today he got a big fat F from me.

What I want to see from Biden, if he is to distinguish himself from Trumps horrible character is for him to ACT differently than Trump........take the high road on issues.

Biden offered us not one shred of how he would help minorities in this country with what they need.......jobs, education SAFER communities.  This is what blacks really need to share in the American dream. 

Instead, he attacks Trump for being a racist and calls Trump divisive, actually a divisive message from Biden because he doesn't have an alternate plan........just attack Trump.

If the he wants to go to go toe to toe in an attacking competition with Trump, then he is acting more like Trump. 

C'mon Joe. Focus on positive messages.

You might say "but metmike, you support Trump, with his massive character flaws and his spreading hate, why be so tough on Biden?"

The reason is that character is the one thing that Biden can offer to outshine Trump in a way to make him really stand out. He needs to emphasize his strong point........character, not lose it. 

Most everything else about him is pretty shabby by presidential candidate standards and he has some horrible agenda vs Trumps. 

Biden calls Trump the first racist US president

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/508582-biden-calls-trump-the-first-racist-us-president

By wglassfo - July 22, 2020, 8:52 p.m.
Like Reply

If fact checking is an issue, just hook both of them up to a lie detector  LOL

By wglassfo - July 22, 2020, 8:55 p.m.
Like Reply

Serious question

If Biden has a cognitive problem, then how did he win the primary

Were not Warren and others much sharper, crisp etc. Did he go down hill that fast???

I honestly forget that far back

By mcfarm - July 22, 2020, 9:08 p.m.
Like Reply

how did Biden win the primary? Because the rest of the field was so embarrassing, that is how he won. Now he has to face the fact that his 50 years in political life, esp his 8 as VP he accomplished  nothing. He was and is a major part of the problem.

By metmike - July 22, 2020, 10:21 p.m.
Like Reply

Funny on the lie detector Wayne!

Biden did ok in one debate but to me, looked bad and confused at other debates to even a couple of very embarrassing moments of confusion. 

But that didn't matter.

People voted for a cerebrally  challenged Biden, thinking that he has a better chance to beat Trump than a sharp Sanders. 

The guy that can beat Trump is what matters.

It's no secret what his condition is, so there isn't going to be a bombshell, breaking news awareness that causes people to shift for Trump to the level needed for Trump to win because they worry about Biden's capabilities. We already know.

The ballet in November will look like this to most people:

1`. Donald J Trump

2. Not Donald J Trump

I actually thought that Mayor Pete was very sharp and said some common sense things that I would support. 

By pj - July 22, 2020, 10:29 p.m.
Like Reply

mm:"Where has this guy been?"

Waiting like everyone else for Trump to live up to his promise to release his taxes.

By rockitck - July 22, 2020, 10:45 p.m.
Like Reply

I think he won the debates bc the others seriously lacked personality. One can have a lot of money but if they don't have the gift of gab and know how to use persuasive conversation...then it out the door for you. Biden really doesn't have much going for him politically considering all the years he has been in office. I also don't see a lot of Biden on Facebook??? Remember the polls for Clinton in the last election? Amazing how Trump won w/Clinton winning in all the polls!!! I'm predicting another Trump landslide in the upcoming election. 

By metmike - July 23, 2020, 1:29 a.m.
Like Reply

Poll: Trump trails Biden by 7 points in new national survey

https://thehill.com/hilltv/what-americas-thinking/508568-poll-trump-trails-biden-by-7-points-in-new-national-survey?utm_source=thehill&utm_medium=widgets&utm_campaign=es_recommended_content

Former Vice President Joe Biden leads President Trump by 7 percentage points in a general election matchup, a new Hill-HarrisX poll finds.

Forty-five percent of registered voters in the July 17-20 survey said they would chose Biden if the presidential election were held today, a 2 percentage point uptick from the latest national poll conducted July 3-4.

By contrast, 38 percent of voters prefer Trump as president, 1 percentage point down from earlier this month.

Five percent of voters in the poll say they would vote for someone else while 4 percent said they do not plan to vote at all.

Nine percent of voters remain unsure.

Among Midwestern voters, a coveted demographic group for both candidates, 45 percent chose Biden while 38 percent said they'd vote for Trump if the election were held today.

The president has seen his poll numbers decline in recent months, with Biden's lead widened as large as 15 percentage points.

The RealClear Politics average has Biden ahead by 8.4 percentage points.

"Joe Biden has had a lead for a couple months now," Lee Miringoff, director of the Marist poll, told Hill.TV.

Miringoff cites public opinion on Trump's handling of the coronavirus pandemic as a key factor to Biden's lead in national general election surveys.

"It has catapulted him into the lead and it's what really is keeping him there for all intents and purposes right now," he added.

A July 7-10 Hill-HarrisX poll shows 47 percent of voters believe Biden would do a better job with handling the coronavirus compared to 31 percent who say the same of Donald Trump.

While voters 65 and older are split between the two candidates in the general election matchup, half of voters in this category prefer Biden when it comes to who would handle the coronavirus pandemic better. 

By contrast, 34 percent of older voters chose Trump on handling the crisis.

The Hill-HarrisX poll was conducted online among 2,829 registered voters between July 17 and 20. It has a margin of error of plus or minus 1.84 percentage points.

Gabriela Schulte

By mcfarm - July 23, 2020, 8:09 a.m.
Like Reply

seems to be more people really pushing this Biden win because of Trump's personality. Sad for them Trump get so much stuff done while after 50 years Biden's getting done list amounts to squat. After the last election there were even more people mocking Trump and were invited back here to et crow and apologize for their poor predictions. I would re-extend those invitations after this election only this time I would like to see somebody have enough guts to follow thru. Much like all the big names that promised to leave the country things got real quiet. Again think what you will , Trump gets things done.

By wglassfo - July 23, 2020, 11:31 a.m.
Like Reply

Hey Rocktick and others

I hope I spelled your name correctly

I have advancing dementia

My father was the same

You said Joe had personality and the gift of gab

That was when he was VP

Nobody can have the gift of gab and then descend into barely putting two sentences together that quick. This is impossible to have happened in a short time

We know Joe has dementia but  must have had it during the primaries

So how the heck did he hide it???

Did anybody suspect dementia during the primary

Warren et al were all sharp

Obviously their policies did not attract attention

However, Joe's 110 page policy statement is full of Warren, Sanders and other contenders plus AOC

By metmike - July 25, 2020, 10:21 p.m.
Like Reply

Harris seen as Biden VP favorite as clock ticks

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/508959-harris-seen-as-biden-vp-favorite-as-clock-ticks?rnd=1595701518

Harris would be the first Black woman and Indian American woman to be nominated on a major party’s presidential ticket, and she battled with Biden memorably on the debate stage more than a year ago.

Harris wouldn’t put a new state in play. She represents California, the largest electoral prize on the map but one that is completely safe for Democrats.

Yet many see her as the least risky pick for Biden, who is under pressure to select a woman of color as his veep, and someone who would be prepared to be president on day one.

“Knowing him, Kamala is the best pick for him,” said one longtime Biden confidant. “Their politics are very similar. I would be surprised if it wasn’t her.” 

“I’d be shocked if it was anyone else,” the source added. “You’re getting to the degrees of risk after that.” 

Still, sources say it’s not as if Harris has the race locked up.

If Biden doesn’t select Harris, it would come down to Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass) or former national security adviser Susan Rice, women the former vice president knows well, the confidant said. 

Another source close to the campaign said Team Biden is giving Rep. Karen Bass (D-Calif.) a serious look in the final days of deliberation. Bass leads the Congressional Black Caucus.

“The Bass thing is real,” the source said, adding that if Harris was such a sure thing, the campaign wouldn’t be testing other prospects. “In many ways, she’s the easiest pick, even though she may not be the most obvious pick,” the source said of Bass. 

Bass appeals to progressives, who desperately want to defeat Trump but are lukewarm on Biden.

In an open letter written to Biden earlier this week, California delegates who supported Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) during the primary listed Bass as someone on their short list. 

Some strategists also think Biden should select someone who is outside his comfort zone. 

“Joe Biden comes from the ‘safe,’ moderate wing of the Democratic party and I assume he’s inclined to choose a VP who does, too,” said Democratic strategist Christy Setzer. “But that’s exactly the wrong instinct. Our base isn’t centrist; they’re progressive, and he needs to choose someone who excites them.”