Impeachment
4 responses | 0 likes
Started by carlberky - June 20, 2018, 9:14 a.m.

Bill Clinton was impeached for a Lie to Congress.

Donald Trump habitually lies  ( not yet under oath to Congress ), and Cons put a spin on it.

Comments
Re: Impeachment
0 likes
By Lacey - June 22, 2018, 9:39 p.m.
Like Reply

And Clinton and Obama never lied.  

Re: Impeachment
0 likes
By carlberky - June 22, 2018, 9:53 p.m.
Like Reply

They ALL lie … just don't do it while under oath. The usual ploy is to say " I don't remember "  or " I can't recall +  ".

By TimNew - June 23, 2018, 5:30 a.m.
Like Reply

I don't think I've tried to "spin" Trump.  I see his warts and I'll be the first to acknowledge them and have done so here more than once.    It's axiomatic that politicians lie. The vast majority would be excellent used car salesmen,  but they know the politics game is far more lucrative and has far better perqs.  

Trump has raised (lowered) the political lie to a new level, and lacks the creative approach to make them even vaguely plausible. There seems to be no fight too small, no slight too slight. He needs to learn when to shut up, but that seems extremely unlikely. I am not quite as dead set against his tariffs as I once was,  but that hinges on the idea that he truly (as stated) wants free markets with no trade barriers and is using the tariffs as a large bargaining chip. 

I am all for border security, but I think his wall is a stupid idea.  A thousand mile section will accomplish as much as a 100 foot section.   Our borders are vast and we'd need to surround the country with guard towers evenly spaced.  And who really wants that?

Romney had the right idea.  Quite frankly, if I lived in a country where my family was on the verge of starving, and nearby was a place where the poor lived far better than the middle class in my country, there is little that would keep me out. Take away the reasons for coming. Go after employers and stop any government benefits. The problem solves itself.

All that said,  Trump gets overall high marks from me on the economy.  I am encouraged with his foreign policy (with a possible exception on tariffs) that appears to be garnering success at levels we've not seen in quite some time. The economy is looking better than it has in some time. 

It could be worse.  And it has been, IMO, recently. 

By carlberky - June 23, 2018, 7:07 p.m.
Like Reply

Gee, Tim, you didn't leave me any reason to debate!