Republican National Convention
20 responses | 0 likes
Started by metmike - Aug. 22, 2020, 5:41 p.m.

Democratic Party chairman predicts ‘chaos’ at next week’s GOP convention

VP Pence says GOP convention will showcase Trump's achievements

Democratic National Committee (DNC) Chairman Tom Perezcharged Friday that “chaos will be the order of the day” at next week’s Republican National Convention.

Speaking with reporters, Perez predicted that “the Republican convention next week will be marked by chaos, chaos, chaos.”

metmike: Most people will be very surprised to here about the numerous significant achievements accomplished by this administration because they have been fed a steady stream of nothing but negatives.

Republican Convention Schedule: Who’s Speaking and How to Watch

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/article/republican-convention-schedule-2020.html

Comments
By TimNew - Aug. 22, 2020, 7:47 p.m.
Like Reply

The reaction I get from the left when I list the achievements of Trump absolutely amazes me.  They are so completely unaware of anything.   How can that be?

By GunterK - Aug. 22, 2020, 8:37 p.m.
Like Reply

"....The reaction I get from the left when I list the achievements of Trump absolutely amazes me.  They are so completely unaware of anything.  ...."

check the thread "save money on your prescriptions" below...

I certainly benefited from one of those unknown things Pres Trump did for the People.

Thank you Mr President

By metmike - Aug. 23, 2020, 2:01 p.m.
Like Reply

Gunter,

Although President Trump is doing more than any other president to try lower drug costs, I don't think that he is responsible for GOODRX.

Save money on prescriptions            

Started by metmike - Aug. 15, 2020, 12:22 a.m.            

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/57647/

By mcfarm - Aug. 23, 2020, 5:50 p.m.
Like Reply

as long as the repubs do not have a telethon with tons of hollywood types it will be fine

By metmike - Aug. 23, 2020, 8:15 p.m.
Like Reply

Trump to hold unconventional White House convention

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/513011-trump-to-hold-unconventional-white-house-convention?userid=565140

"Those expected to speak include members of Congress such as Sen. Tim Scott (S.C.), the only sitting Black Republican senator, and House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) as well as Nikki Haley, Trump’s former United Nations ambassador.

The virtual events will also feature appearances from Alice Johnson, a criminal justice reform advocate who was granted clemency by Trump; Covington Catholic High School graduate Nick Sandmann; the parents of Kayla Mueller, a humanitarian aid worker who was captured and killed by the Islamic State; and Mark and Patricia McCloskey, the couple who went viral after pointing guns at Black Lives Matter protesters.

The Republican National Convention nominating events will still take place in person in Charlotte, N.C., on Monday but will be dramatically scaled down to include only 336 delegates — six from each state and territory.

The events will be decidedly Trump-centric, with the GOP nominee playing an active role each of the four nights, according to a campaign official, culminating with Trump’s address from the White House grounds Thursday.

First lady Melania Trump also plans to deliver her own address from the White House on Tuesday, and Vice President Pence will deliver remarks accepting the vice presidential nomination Wednesday from Fort McHenry in Baltimore. The other speeches will be broadcast from the Andrew W. Mellon Auditorium, a federal building in Washington, D.C., as well as from satellite locations across the country.

Trump hasn’t held a large-scale campaign rally since June, but he has adjusted by using smaller events at the White House and elsewhere to telegraph his agenda and hammer Biden. Trump traveled to swing states over the week of the Democratic convention to offer a competing message, speaking to crowds of hundreds of supporters outdoors in Wisconsin and Pennsylvania.

“Trump’s inability to hold giant, colorful rallies is going to hurt him down the stretch. Having to hold a virtual convention is just one example of this,” said Dan Eberhart, a prominent GOP donor.

“Trump is combating this by continuing to cross the country and make appearances,” Eberhart continued, arguing Trump was successfully drawing a contrast with Biden, who has been largely confined to his home in Delaware during the pandemic. “Ultimately, this will favor Trump.”

Trump’s use of the White House for his acceptance speech will itself be a historic moment, marking an unprecedented use of the federal grounds for partisan political activity that has triggered scrutiny for ethical reasons. It will mark the first time that a president has accepted a party’s nomination from the White House, serving as an example of how Trump has constantly pushed the boundaries and broken with practices of past presidents of both parties.

“It’s not that there’s a tall wall that separated that which is governance from that which is partisan or purely political in nature. But this strikes me as a break,” said William Howell, a political scientist and professor at the University of Chicago Harris School of Public Policy. “It’s not a surprise that this president is the one to do it. He is breaking all kinds of norms of democratic governance. This is yet another one.”

Trump enters the convention trailing Biden in polls nationally and in some battleground states, with a significant majority of voters disapproving of his response to the novel coronavirus, which has killed more than 170,000 in America. However, Republican sources argue that the Democratic convention failed to energize and engage voters and doubted that the frequent attacks leveled on Trump over his response to the coronavirus would have an impact."

By mcfarm - Aug. 23, 2020, 10:29 p.m.
Like Reply

So the handling of the virus will hurt Trump. Really? How about if the truth of Trump's handling were published then what would the public think? Seem you need to get a view of "Life, Liberty, and Levin" from earlier tonite. His guest a Yale {read that as lib] professor was special guest with data from Hydox studies. 54 studies showed safe effective results..4 did not, guess what those 4 only studied use in late stages of the virus, not early as the President was ridiculed month after month for stating...........ACCURATELY...

Also seems Dr Fauci had a similar experience way back in the 80's with aids patients, denying them studies for over 2 years while thousands died unnecessarily. Only this year he has helped cuomo, the media and dems in general literally kill thousands. Read more about our good Dr Fauci, the aids epidemic and what he has done with this hydroch treatment and restate your complete belief in this strange man who has held the same job way too many years.

By metmike - Aug. 26, 2020, 8:02 p.m.
Like Reply

Interesting that we are not getting any comments on this topic here.

I've been busy the last 2 evenings, unlike last week when I watched most of the Dem convention but will try to catch up.

I just watched a few speeches from Tuesday and was very impressed at the authenticity, honesty and relevancy.

Melania Trumps speech was powerful and compassionate. Not surprising take by some of the haters though:

Bette Midler accused of xenophobic tweets mocking Melania Trump: 'She still can’t speak English'

The first lady also received insults from Kathy Griffin and CNN analyst Brian Karem

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/bette-midler-faces-backlash-for-mocking-melania-trump-she-still-cant-speak-english

On Wednesday, Midler walked back her "she still can't speak English" tweet.

"Well, all hell has broken loose because I said Melania 'still can’t speak English' last night. I was wrong to make fun of her accent. America is made up people who speak with all kinds of accents, and they are all welcomed always," she tweeted.

Other critics of the president also attacked the first lady.

"Seriously, f--- this b----," comedian Kathy Griffin tweeted.

"Makes me want to vomit," CNN political analyst and Playboy White House correspondent Brian Karem replied to Griffin.

Former NBA player Rex Chapman also compared Melania Trump's dress to Adolf Hitler.

Last weekend, Melania Trump was attacked as a "foreigner" by former New York Times reporter Kurt Eichenwald over her newly-renovated Rose Garden.

“It is a destruction of our history, something no other First Lady would have had the gall to do,” Eichenwald tweeted. “This is the first time I have been furious that @FLOTUS is a foreigner. She has no right to wreck our history.”

Eichenwald later deleted the tweet and issued an apology."

By metmike - Aug. 26, 2020, 8:12 p.m.
Like Reply

Mike Pompeo's speech was extremely convincing about President Trump many legit foreign policy acheivements. 

The reaction from the left? 

Investigate him:

House Democrat opens investigation into Pompeo's RNC speech

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/25/politics/castro-investigation-pompeo-rnc-speech/index.html

They can't deny the truth of what he said.......but they can investigate him for saying it.

Numerous unelected bureaucrats can spend years and tens of millions of tax payer funded money to try to  take out Trump for political agenda but when somebody brings up his achievements(instead of trying to destroy him) they need to be investigated for it.

By metmike - Aug. 26, 2020, 8:28 p.m.
Like Reply

Nick Sandmann also gave a wonderful, right on the money speech telling the absolute truth about what happened to him.

And this is how the other side (haters) reacted:

CNN's Joe Lockhart attacks Sandmann as 'snot nose entitled kid' after network's defamation suit

https://www.foxnews.com/media/cnns-joe-lockhart-attacks-sandmann-as-snot-nose-entitled-kid-following-networks-defamation-suit

metmike: Sore losers for getting busted with fake news and yellow journalism:

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/56725/

About time somebody held them accountable:

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/55556/

This is what we do to anybody that says something positive about President Trump:

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/56185/

Note the post in that last thread about what hate does to people. We are seeing it in the responses to people that are saying positive things about President Trump this week.........they are enraged with hate that extends beyond their feelings for Trump but applies to people that don't also hate Trump like they do.

By mcfarm - Aug. 26, 2020, 8:44 p.m.
Like Reply

very slick convention....my favorites have been the Kentucky AG, Herchel Walker, Tim Cain, Nick Sandman, the lobster guy and many more. Just been a pleasure to watch esp after that hate fest last week. And I said last week as long as the repubs don't have a telethon with Hollywood types they will be fine...they are doing great

By metmike - Aug. 26, 2020, 9:08 p.m.
Like Reply

I am catching up mcfarm and liking it too.

The reactions from the other side are the most telling.

Agree with you on Hershel Walker's being very passionate and convincing.

Here's how one guy at CNN viewed it:

Herschel Walker powerfully sticks up for Trump but misconstrues protesting athletes

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/25/politics/herschel-walker-trump-racist-protest/index.html

"Recall the 1968 Olympics. When the sprinters Tommie Smith and John Carlos climbed the podium to claim their gold and bronze medals, respectively, the national anthem blasting in the background, each lowered his head and raised a black-gloved fist in the air.

Seen as a Black Power salute, Smith and Carlos' actions resulted in one of the most famous images to come out of an era of massive social and political change."

By metmike - Aug. 26, 2020, 9:28 p.m.
Like Reply

Even NPR couldn't get away from praising Tim Scott:

4 Takeaways From The 1st Night Of The Republican National Convention

https://www.npr.org/2020/08/25/905717966/4-takeaways-from-the-1st-night-of-the-republican-national-convention

4. Tim Scott stood out — and may have given wavering Republicans a reason to vote for Trump

There were plenty of speeches made by high-profile conservatives Monday night, including Donald Trump Jr. and former U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley.

But the speech that stood out was the one made by Scott, the only Black Republican in the U.S. Senate (there are two Black Democrats in the Senate). He went beyond promoting Trump.

"Our family went from cotton to Congress in one lifetime," Scott said, "and that's why I believe the next American century can be better than the last."

Scott's address was policy-driven, and it was hopeful, and maybe did more to vault him to the presidential conversation in 2024 or 2028 than make a case for why Trump should be reelected.

He was almost pleading with those wavering Republican voters, reminding them of why they're Republicans and why they are against the Democratic alternative.

Scott granted permission — and a reason — for why they should vote for Trump in this election.

"While this election is between Donald Trump and Joe Biden," Scott said, "it is not solely about Donald Trump and Joe Biden. It's about the promise of America."

In other words: You might not love Trump, but fight for conservative policies and the kind of country you want.

By metmike - Aug. 26, 2020, 10:04 p.m.
Like Reply

CNN's Chris Cuomo raises eyebrows after accusing Sen. Tim Scott, others of 'carrying water' for Trump

https://www.foxnews.com/media/cnn-chris-cuomo-tim-scott-carrying-water-for-trump

Cuomo: "This guy(Trump)  is a lying demon who is going to hell."

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Chris Cuomo            

9 responses |          

Started by metmike - April 25, 2020, 1:11 p.m.            

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/51149/

Prominent messenger of hate exposed            

4 responses |           

Started by metmike - Aug. 13, 2019, 1:51 p.m.            

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/36786/

Letting Chris Cuomo lecture us about lying and hatred would be like making Charles Manson a judge that decides prison sentences for serial killers.

By wglassfo - Aug. 28, 2020, 12:08 a.m.
Like Reply

I just clicked on part way during Trumps speech, on day 4

That was a very impressive speech and a magnificent way to end the convention

As a Canadian, I feel compelled  to tell you folks

You have a  lot to be proud about Trump and his 1st term

I am also very sure you will never have a need to build a wall on your northern border

May the friendship remain unbroken

By metmike - Aug. 28, 2020, 12:49 a.m.
Like Reply

Thanks very much Wayne,

We are privileged to  have you posting from Canada with your views.

President Trump talked much too long tonight. His speech was over an hour.

He had some good stuff to say but it's tough to keep people's full attention when you go that long. At least he stayed on the teleprompter which meant NOT getting carried away rambling, saying crazy things that make him look bad...........which is what he sometimes does if you let him off of his leash. 

The Republicans did a 10 times better job with their convention compared to the Democrats. 

Having the live audience was a huge deal(though most of them not wearing masks was a problem for me-though they may have all been tested before hand).

This added a ton of life to those speeches.

The fireworks at the end were marvelous!

Also, I felt more patriotic and proud to be an American this week watching this convention.........made me feel good about our country and the direction that it can go in based on this agenda. 

Last week was almost the opposite. The message was mostly that America is no longer great because Trump wrecked our country. 

Trump went way overboard tonight criticizing Biden. 

Those are just my opinions. 

What do you guys that watched think?

By cutworm - Aug. 28, 2020, 9:01 a.m.
Like Reply

Mike' Do you think that Trump criticized   Biden or Biden' s platform at least as much of it as we see? There is a difference. 

Edit; or criticized his past performance?

By 7475 - Aug. 28, 2020, 9:53 a.m.
Like Reply

This chaos referred to has been initiated by the Libs out of,at least in part, frustrations over the Trumps administration's accomplishments.

Give it up and work WITH us!

By metmike - Aug. 28, 2020, 11:24 a.m.
Like Reply

Alice Johnson, pardoned by Trump, was put away for life under Biden-sponsored bill

https://nypost.com/2020/08/27/ex-con-pardoned-by-trump-was-put-away-by-bidens-crime-bill/

As a single mom of five in 1996, Johnson, now 65, was slapped with five concurrent life sentences without the chance of parole on a first-time non-violent drug charge for her involvement in a million-dollar cocaine ring.

Trump commuted her sentence in June 2018 following lobbying from reality TV star and lawyer-in-training Kardashian, and Johnson will speak at Thursday’s 2020 Republican National Convention finale.

But Johnson would never have been sentenced to life in prison if not for a 1986 drug abuse act written by then-Sen. Joe Biden that stiffened penalties for drug offenses and disproportionately targeted black people.

President Barack Obama and his veep also refused Johnson’s pleas for clemency three times, including in the final days of their administration, according to a CNN report.

Biden co-authored the 1986 Anti-Drug Abuse Act, which allowed judges to sentence first-time felons to life imprisonment for drug offenses exceeding 5 kilograms of cocaine.

Previously, a person could not be sentenced to more than 20 years for cocaine offenses.

https://nypost.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2020/08/trump-johnson.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=1280

Alice Johnson with President TrumpNurPhoto via Getty Images

Biden was later praised by his Democratic colleagues in the Senate for his “diligence” in making possible a law that also created huge sentencing discrepancies between powder and crack cocaine — a drug more commonly used among black Americans.

The law made it so that someone who was caught trying to sell just 5 grams of crack would be given the same penalty as someone dealing 500 grams of cocaine powder, creating a disparity of 100 to 1.

The then-senator from Delaware boasted about his efforts on the Senate floor and the “striking changes in sentencing law” that he was responsible for.

But by 2008, Biden, on the eve of becoming Obama’s veep, was forced to acknowledge the huge racial disparities his bill created and blamed bad data.

“Our intentions were good, but much of our information was bad,” he said during a judiciary hearing. “Each of the myths upon which we based the sentencing disparity has since been dispelled or altered.”

The septuagenarian lawmaker has faced increased scrutiny of his criminal justice record since announcing his White House bid — particularly a 1994 crime law he authored that has been credited with contributing to “mass incarceration.”

His running mate, Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.), also oversaw 1,900 convictions for marijuana as a San Francisco district attorney.

Along with Johnson, over 2,000 federal prisoners were serving life sentences for non-violent drug offenses in 2018, according to federal corrections data analyzed by criminal justice group the Sentencing Project.

Drug offenders make up nearly one-third of federal prisoners who have been put away for life in the United States.Johnson has since become one of the faces of the Trump administration’s criminal justice reforms and appeared in the president’s 2020 Super Bowl ad.

She is expected to give a positive address at Thursday’s Republican convention finale about how Trump gave her a second chance at life and will not speak about how Biden’s law robbed her of that opportunity.

The Tennessee woman has previously recounted how she took to drug dealing as a way to provide for her children after losing her job and has described the move as “the worst decision of my life.”

Speaking at a White House prison reform event after her release, Johnson thanked Trump for “believing” in her.

“I’m an example of a woman who has been given a second chance in life. There are so many others who deserve that same second chance,” she said.

Since announcing his own White House bid, Biden has sought to portray himself as a progressive and put distance between himself and his congressional record.

As part of his criminal justice plan, Biden acknowledged too many black and brown Americans are incarcerated and vowed to pass legislation ending mandatory minimum prison sentences on the federal level.

He has also vowed to expand funding for drug and mental health treatment and end the sentencing disparity between crack and powder cocaine which he helped introduce.

The Biden campaign and Johnson did not immediately respond to requests for comment from The Post on Thursday.

By metmike - Aug. 30, 2020, 7:39 p.m.
Like Reply

Trump's Republican National Convention was a ratings flop

https://news.yahoo.com/trumps-republican-national-convention-ratings-080002055.html

The final night of the 2020 RNC, according to Los Angeles Times reporter Stephen Battaglio, had "an average audience of 21.6 million viewers" — whereas former Vice President Joe Biden's acceptance speech at the DNC attracted 24.6 million viewers.

Battaglio also notes that the audience for Trump's acceptance speech was "well below the 35 million TV viewers who watched him accept his party's nomination in 2016, and will fall short of the acceptance speeches of previous Republican nominees John McCain (38.9 million viewers in 2008), Mitt Romney (30.3 million viewers in 2012) and George W. Bush (27.6 million in 2004). TV viewing for both 2020 conventions is down from four years ago, as many viewers are likely to have watched some portion of the event through online streaming platforms which are not included in the Nielsen ratings."

One of the speakers on the third night of this year's RNC was Vice President Mike Pence. Bloomberg News reports that Pence's speech attracted "an estimated 17.3 million viewers," while a speech by Sen. Kamala Harris, Biden's running mate, on the third night of the 2020 DNC attracted 22.8 million.

https://twitter.com/RepsForBiden/status/1299345569710833667

The New York Times' Michael M. Grynbaum notes that the third night of the RNC "was seen by roughly 25% fewer live viewers than the third night of the Democratic convention last week."

Pence's speech on Wednesday night, Grynbaum points out, was seen by fewer viewers than First Lady Melania Trump's speech on Tuesday night — which, according to Nielsen, attracted 17.3 million viewers.

By mcfarm - Aug. 30, 2020, 8:24 p.m.
Like Reply

what the heck, might as well show all the fake polls that have Trump behind in every state and the territories. Meanwhile some brave souls out here in rural America still plan to fight our way thru unreported Black Panthers stationed at our polling place to vote for Trump/ Pence who nobody even noticed last week. Pretty hard to believe when even libs were astonished at how good the RNC was.