Another debt question
1 response | 0 likes
Started by wglassfo - Aug. 25, 2020, 5:20 p.m.

So what happens when all the rent, home mortgages etc come due

I would think some body will feel some pain

People will either get another extension on rent and mortgage payments which puts the land lord in a position of default with the lender, mostly banks

You would think some time the rent and mortgage extensions will end [maybe never] but I am not holding my breath on that happening. So that means, if what some say is correct, then millions will be evicted. I suppose home owners might become renters but only if they have income, but with millions of unemployed doesn't look like many will become renters

So now you have all these empty apartments, condos and houses that eventually the banks own

Now if Powell continues or congress continues to bail out the banks then an awful lot of little people have had their life ruined but the banks don't suffer, if they get bailed out. But banks are setting aside huge amounts for debt defaults so maybe they won't get bailed out

So, do the banks put RE on the market for what ever it will bring on the open market. That happened during the farm crisis when int rates went sky high and banks owned farms and machinery out the wazzo

Anybody that had some money made a killing buying farms at ultra low sale prices as the demand was not there, for market value land and machinery

So do the banks do the same thing and sell RE at any price to clear the books of RE ownership, which they don't want to be the land lord

Many of the houses being bought are people leaving the city, selling for what ever the market will bring and bidding up houses in urban or rural places. One would think only the people with affordable money will continue to buy, but seems to me there are a lot of people that will leave behind rented property, that will sit empty in the city. Will the inner city become a ghost town unless it is burned to the ground by peaceful demonstrators, or larger slum property, bought cheap and not much in the way of upkeep or maintenance

Looks to me like a lot of people are moving some where else and some will be homeless

Moving Co's are doing big business

Comments
By bear - Aug. 26, 2020, 11:08 p.m.
Like Reply

regarding people who are renters... there are a couple different laws.  federal law is different than state law or local law.  

recently, when trump signed an order,  that means if you have a property with a federally backed loan, then you cannot evict a tenant.  

if your property is paid off, then the federal law (to prevent evictions) does not apply to you.  but maybe a state law or local law might still prevent an eviction.  

and even if a state law prevents an eviction, the renter still owes the money.  so if the state law comes to an end, and if the renter still wants to stay in the place, then they will have to pay up all that back rent.  

the next issue,... will the property owner report a bad report to the credit agency if you did not pay up?